Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20498 Discussions

Intel (R) HD Graphics 620 issue - Bug

_max
Beginner

With latests updates from my Win10 Home Single Language OS an error occurs. Video in all Programs and Browsers (Youtube, Netflix, etc) goes black. Video does not show, audio works OK.

Already tried updating, uninstalling and re-installing driver, nothig seems to work.

Video used to work perfectly before this latest updates, I also tried to install previous versions of the Driver, but this does work either.

Disabling Monitor Adapter in Device Manager makes video to show, but it works badly, very slow, like in steps as no Graphic acceleration hardware is in use.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello _max,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

To better assist you, I would appreciate if you could provide the following information:

• I understand that this behavior occurred after an OS update, is that correct? If so, what is the version that was working fine?
  • Does this also occur with videos stored on the computer? (Not online)
  • What graphics drivers have you tried yet?

To gather more information about your system and determine what could be possibly causing this please run the following tool and attach the reports generated.   

Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) Download link 

1.       Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. 

2.      By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".   

3.       Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".   

4.       To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".   

Esteban D.

Intel Technical Support Technician  

0 Kudos
_max
Beginner

Hi, thank you for answering.

Regarding your questions:

• I understand that this behavior occurred after an OS update, is that correct? If so, what is the version that was working fine? I dont know the version, I just know it was sometime before August.
  • Does this also occur with videos stored on the computer? (Not online) Yes, it does
  • What graphics drivers have you tried yet? I have tried this versions:

10.0.19041.1 (from Microssoft)

At this point I manage to watch videos by changing the primary graphic card (This laptop has also an NVIDIA GeForce 940MX installed) selection for some programs with the Graphic Confguration of Win10, but this means that battery discharges faster.

Fixing the Intel HD Graphic 620 card will be better solution to have both graphic card available any time.

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello _max,

Were you able to check the previous post?   

Please let me know if you need further assistance.   

Esteban D.  

Intel Technical Support Technician   

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello _max,

Thank you so much for the update.

We recently release a driver update for this Graphics Adapter.

The latest version is 27.20.100.8853 which is dated for 10/19/2020 and you can find it here.

Please check the following steps to do so:

1)    Download the latest DCH driver and save it on the computer.

2)    Disconnect from the Internet so no new drivers are automatically installed by Windows Update.

3)    Uninstall the driver and the Intel Graphics Control Panel from Control Panel > Programs and Features.

4)    Restart the computer.

Confirm in Device Manager > Video Adapters the controller is listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter' > if not, repeat steps 2 through 4.

5)    If the adapter continues to be listed as ‘Intel HD Graphics’ or similar, and no other Intel Graphics driver is listed under 'Programs and Features' for removal, then it means Windows has switched to a previously installed Legacy driver. At this point we can remove Legacy drivers from Device Manager:

a)    Right-click on 'Intel HD Graphics' or similar, and select 'Uninstall Device'

b)    In the pop-up window make sure 'Delete the driver software for this device' is checked.

c)    Click on 'Uninstall'.

d)    Restart. (Repeat steps 6.1.1 through 6.1.4 until the device gets listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter')

6)     Install the DCH driver that was downloaded on step 1.

7)    Restart the computer then  Reconnect to the Internet.

Please check the outcome with me after the installation of the latest graphics driver.

I hope this helps.

Esteban D.

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello _max,

Esteban D.  

0 Kudos
_max
Beginner

Esteban_D

sadly solution didnt work. I go through the steps and it works just fine for a bit, i can watch videos at the begining, but as soon as I connect any secondary screen (monitor or proyector) and try to watch something in Netflix it fails and then video goes black again in any other program.

Error starts right when Netflix starts with video previews in main page, but I cant tell if this is actually the main problem. I cant tell either if this has anything to do with secondary screens, because main laptop screen is also failing.

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello _max,

Thank you for the update and the troubleshooting steps performed so far.

Have you checked if the Microsoft’s* build 19042 which is October 2020 Update is available for your computer?

If so, you may want to upgrade your operating system to the latest version and check results. Hopefully, we will notice an improvement in the laptop performance.

Additionally, I want to confirm that this behavior occurs in both Browser and Applications (Netflix* and Youtube*) correct?

Please ensure that you are running the latest Browser and application version to ensure top performance.

When talking about laptops, it’s worth mentioning that Intel provides generic versions of software and drivers. 

Your computer manufacturer may have altered the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes.  

I would recommend the installation of the drivers provided by the manufacturer to avoid any potential impact caused by loading non-customized drivers. You can find the drivers that are fully validated for your laptop model here.

This is because system manufacturers regularly customize Intel generic drivers to meet the needs of their specific system design. 

Esteban D.

Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel or any of its products is implied.  

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello _max,

Esteban D.  

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello _max, 

We have not heard back from you. 

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored  

Esteban D.  

0 Kudos