Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20597 Discussions

Intel UHD Graphics 620 and 2 monitors running 2560x1440 @ 100p Hz

YC3
Beginner

Hello

I have an HP ELitebook G5 Laptop running Windows 10 Enterprice, with an Intel UHD Graphics 620 adapter and running 2x Samsung C27JG50 monitors. Currently, I am running 1 monitor at 2560x1440 @ 100p Hz and the other at 2560x1440 @ 60p Hz. 

Is there anyway to run both monitors at 100p Hz (or higher)? When I try to change the second monitor to run at 100p Hz in the Intel Graphics Control Panel, the screen locks up. If I use Windows Display Settings, it does not even give me the option to select anything greater that 60p Hz.

Thank you in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @YC3

Thank you for your response.

Based on the Intel® SSU it seems that your system is already running the latest customized graphics driver from HP* (100.8189). Also, based on the Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers, the controller is detecting the Supported Video mode of 2560 x 1440 (100p Hz) for both displays.

However, since you are using a docking station and considering that when running a single display you got 2560x1440 @ 144p Hz, we would like you first to try some tests with the docking.

Please try connecting only 1 display at a time. Please connect to the docking only the first display and check if you see the option to select 2560 x 1440@100Hz. Then, disconnect that display, and using the same video port on the docking and the same video cable, please connect only the second display and check if you see the option to select 2560 x 1440@100Hz.

If you are able to get the desired resolution on both displays when connecting them one at a time, this could be a bandwidth limitation from the docking. If that is the case, please try the following suggestions:

1- Check with HP support regarding the maximum resolutions supported when using a multi-display configuration with the HP 2013 UltraSlim Docking Station*  

We tried to check their website but could not find specific information about it. In fact, the website says that DisplayPort (DP) is 1.1a which would have less bandwidth than a DP 1.2.

2- Check if there are firmware or updates available for the Thunderbolt™ device on the laptop and for the docking station. We see many options on the HP* website (Software and drivers for HP EliteBook 840 G5 Notebook PC*).

We recommend contacting HP* support directly so they can assist you to determine the proper updates/firmware and the installation instructions.

3- Also, just in case check with the SAMSUNG* support if there are firmware updates (inf files) for the displays.

Please feel free to post back the outcome of the tests. If you have additional inquiries, please let us know.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @YC3

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to check this further, could you please provide the following information?

1- Did this configuration worked fine before? If yes, was there any recent hardware or software change (Windows* updates, driver updates) that might trigger the issue?

2- How are you connecting both displays? Please provide details about video ports on both sides (displays and laptop) and about the cables. Also, are you using a straight-through connection (e.g. HDMI-to-HDMI) with a single cable for each display or are you using video adapters/dongles/splitters?

3- With both displays connected to the laptop, please provide a Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers following the steps on the link.

4- Also, please run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report to this thread to gather more details about your system.

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.

Note: To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" option below the response textbox.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
YC3
Beginner

Hi Andrew

1. This is a new configuration, I was previously running a single display running at 2560x1440 @ 144p Hz but have since added the second display (same model as the first).

2. Both displays are connected directly via separate DisplayPort-DisplayPort cables (Amazon branded) to an HP 2013 ultraslim docking station.

3/4. Attached as requested.

Many thanks for your support to date.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @YC3

Based on the Intel® SSU it seems that your system is already running the latest customized graphics driver from HP* (100.8189). Also, based on the Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers, the controller is detecting the Supported Video mode of 2560 x 1440 (100p Hz) for both displays.

However, since you are using a docking station and considering that when running a single display you got 2560x1440 @ 144p Hz, we would like you first to try some tests with the docking.

Please try connecting only 1 display at a time. Please connect to the docking only the first display and check if you see the option to select 2560 x 1440@100Hz. Then, disconnect that display, and using the same video port on the docking and the same video cable, please connect only the second display and check if you see the option to select 2560 x 1440@100Hz.

If you are able to get the desired resolution on both displays when connecting them one at a time, this could be a bandwidth limitation from the docking. If that is the case, please try the following suggestions:

1- Check with HP support regarding the maximum resolutions supported when using a multi-display configuration with the HP 2013 UltraSlim Docking Station*  

We tried to check their website but could not find specific information about it. In fact, the website says that DisplayPort (DP) is 1.1a which would have less bandwidth than a DP 1.2.

2- Check if there are firmware or updates available for the Thunderbolt™ device on the laptop and for the docking station. We see many options on the HP* website (Software and drivers for HP EliteBook 840 G5 Notebook PC*).

We recommend contacting HP* support directly so they can assist you to determine the proper updates/firmware and the installation instructions.

3- Also, just in case check with the SAMSUNG* support if there are firmware updates (inf files) for the displays.

Please feel free to post back the outcome of the tests. If you have additional inquiries, please let us know.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @YC3

We would like to know if you were able to review our previous post. Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
YC3
Beginner

Hi Andrew

Thank you for the help, I worked through your suggestions and I am able to run a single display 2560x1440@100Hz (actually I am able to run at 2560x1440@144Hz) for both monitors.

I am now trying to get support from HP (which has unfortunately been fruitless so far), but I agree with your suspicion that it looks like the dock is causing the restriction as HP now have a number of newer docking stations available.

Thank you for taking the time to look into my questions.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @YC3

In this case, since a single monitor is working as expected, and considering you are now trying to contact HP* support, we recommend that you continue reviewing and debugging this behavior with them. Due to they are the ones that handle all the technical details about multi-display configurations and what it is supported for both the laptop and the docking, from this point they are the best channel of support.

Having said that, we will proceed to close this inquiry now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. It has been a pleasure to assist you.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos