Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Intel UHD Graphics 630 and Windows 11

jimbeam128
Beginner

Hello,

I´ve got a Fujitsu Esprimo P558 which has got a Intel i5-9400 CPU in it.

With Windows 10 everything works fine.

I installed a fresh Windows 11 without a network connection to install the drivers by myself - and not automatically by windows.

I installed the Graphics Driver from Intel Website

31.0.101.2111  which is designed for Windows 11 - says the website.

The problem is, no matter which driver version I install, I have the issue that when the monitor will be powered off by windows (monitor power saving, no hybernation) the system completly "freezes".

The fans of the power supply and the CPU are still rotating, but the system does not react any more. Even when I have a network cable connected and try to ping the system, it is not responding.

I narrowed it down to the graphics driver, because after windows installation I only installed the graphics driver and nothing more. After that, the problem starts...

So please fix the Issue, Intel!

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello jimbeam128,

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities.  

To have a better understanding of your issue, please provide me with the following:

• Have you tried using another monitor?
  • How did you set the Monitor to be powered off by Windows?
  • Did you try rolling back the driver version?
  • Did you test the behavior before installing the graphics driver?

You should know that there are two different types of drivers, generics provided by Intel and Equipment Manufacturer drivers, that are customized to work with each specific system. Intel’s generic graphics drivers are intended for testing, and we recommend using drivers from the system manufacturer (OEM). However, I would like to recommend performing a clean installation of the Intel generic graphics driver, please follow these steps:

1. Download the latest DCH drivers and save them on the computer: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19344/intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers.html

2. Disconnect from the Internet so no new drivers are automatically installed by Windows Update. 

3. Uninstall the driver and the Intel Graphics Command Center and driver from Apps and Features. 

4. Restart the computer. 

5. Confirm in Device Manager > Video Adapters that the controller is listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter' > if not, repeat steps 2 through 4. 

6. If the adapter continues to be listed as ‘Intel HD Graphics’ or similar, and no other Intel Graphics driver is listed under 'Apps and Features' for removal, then it means Windows has switched to a previously installed Legacy driver. At this point we can remove Legacy drivers from Device Manager: 

1. Right-click on 'Intel HD Graphics' or similar, and select 'Uninstall Device' 

2. In the pop-up window make sure 'Delete the driver software for this device is checked. 

3. Click on 'Uninstall'. 

4. Restart. (Repeat steps 6.1.1 through 6.1.4 until the device gets listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter') 

7. Install the DCH drivers that were downloaded in step 1 Restart the computer. 

Reconnect to the Internet. 

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
jimbeam128
Beginner

Hello Jean,

• Yes, we tried to use another monitor. - Not improving the situation
  • It is configured in the power options in the windows operating system. For testing purposes, we configured 5 Minutes delay.
  • Yes, we tried rolling back and different versions. Always the same issue.
  • We also tested to uninstall the Intel Graphics Card in Devices manager to get the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. When there is only the Basic driver and the Monitor goes to sleep, the system is still responding and reacting... So no Issue!

First of all we used the Fujitsu Driver from the corresponding driver homepage. When we noticed that there is a problem, we tried the Driver from the intel homepage. Same issue.

We did a clean installation with DCH driver Version 101.3430.101.2111 as you adviced. Same Issue.

There is definitive a general Driver Issue with UHD Graphics 630 and Windows 11.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello jimbeam128,

Thank you for the information provided.  

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello jimbeam128,

After reviewing your case, since you mentioned having tried multiple driver versions with no success, I don't think this issue is related to the drivers. It looks more related to Operating System. In this case, I would suggest a Clean Install of the Operating system, to get rid of any possible corrupted files. Here is an article posted on the Microsoft Community with detailed steps to follow:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-perform-a-clean-install-or-reinstall-of/bf72eda1-18f6-4839-9127-2b5389d9aa48

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
jimbeam128
Beginner

Hello Jean,

I did a clean Install of Windows 11 22H2 again and made a CRC-Check of the ISO-Image. The file is not currupted. I did a Check Disk on the SSD-Drive, also no errors. I did a SFC Scan. No problems. I installed again without a network connection, installed only the display driver Version you adviced (101.3430.101.2111)

Same Issue again.

From my point of view, due to the fact that the environment is working with Windows 10, there must be either a problem on the operating system side or on the graphics driver side. I would say graphics driver.

The operating system is just telling the graphic card (driver) not to display an image any more. On the same system with the same operating system and the initial installed default driver 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter' it is working.

After we install the intel graphics driver, the problem begins and the system does not respond in any way.

From my point of view it´s definitve a driver issue

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello jimbeam128,

I would resume the investigation regarding these matter, and post the response on this thread with more details.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello jimbeam128,

Thanks for waiting for a response.

I would like to try and replicate your issue. So please, share with me the replication steps to follow and repeat them. 

If you have the option to record a video, it would be ideal.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
jimbeam128
Beginner

In general, from my point of view a system with a Intel UHD 630 Graphics should be sufficient.

As described above the steps are

Install a Windows 11 21H2 from Generic ISO-Image without a network connection attached.

After installation set the time interval of power-off monitor in energy options to 5 minutes and see after 5 minutes (after screen went black) if it comes back again.

Then install the intel-driver, restart the system, log in again, wait 5 minutes until screen goes black and check if it responds again...

To be most specific, we have this issue on a Fujitsu Esprimo P558 with a Intel i5-9400 CPU.

Kind regards

Jens

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello jimbeam128

I will try to follow your steps and try to replicate the issue. I will post back with more details.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello jimbeam128,

Thanks for waiting for a response

I followed your instructions to replicate the issue. I tried using the driver 30.0.101.1660 and the newest 31.0.101.2111; even tried setting different times sets: 5, 3, 2, and 1 minute. However, I couldn't reproduce the issue, on all the tests the result was the same: the screen went black it did recover upon any movement. 

I suspect this issue could be related to Operating System and your computer, I advise you to contact the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) for further support.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
jimbeam128
Beginner

Hi Jean,

thanks for your support and your investigation.

Can you tell me on what kind of system (manufacturer, model, cpu) you tested it? - If it´s really specific to that model, then I agree to you...

0 Kudos
itzbITs
Beginner

Hi jimbeam28,

Did you ever find a resolution to this? I have exactly the same issue as you describe.

Thanks,

Ben

0 Kudos
jimbeam128
Beginner

Hi Ben,

unfortunately not...

I´ve never got an update from Intel and it remained at the state of "testing" windows 11 on that machine.

But we also experienced the same behaviour afterwards on windows 10 machines. But cannot exactly say in which hardware-configuration and so on...

So unfortunately no good solution news for you from my side...

0 Kudos
itzbITs
Beginner

I appreciate your quick response.

What was your solution on the machines that did experience this behaviour? Just not let the machines turn the monitors off?

The strange thing is we have two machines of exactly the same hardware configuration, one of which exhibits the problem, and one that doesn't.

Thanks again.

Ben

0 Kudos
jimbeam128
Beginner

The workaround was actually to let them run all the time... - Very senseful in times of high power costs and global warming...

Did you compare the firmware versions of the desktops? Maybe an update through the fujitsu Desktop Update could help.

Due to extreme low personal capacities we unfortunately just "ignored" that issue because it took us to much time to investigate...

0 Kudos
itzbITs
Beginner

These machines are not Fujitsu machines - they are both bespoke built machines, with same motherboards, processors, RAM type and storage....one of which is fine, and the other which is not.

I suspect a software conflict between Windows and Intel's drivers, which doesn't occur very often and therefore getting an actual fix is extremely unlikely.

A complete wipe and re-install of Windows looks like our only option for now....or keep on warming the planet a bit more.

Thanks for your feedback. Much appreciated.

0 Kudos