Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
21074 Discussions

Intel XTU Lacks Clock Adjustments for GPU (6th Gen Intel Core i-Series CPUs)

PNegu
Novice

Hi again, I decided to try to use the Intel XTU to lower my GPU maximum clocks to avoid the dreaded TDP Power Limit that throttles my CPU under sustained GPU load.

Although my Elitebook, with a 4th Gen. Intel Core i5-4300u has GPU adjustment options my Pavilion with a 6th Gen i5-6200u completely lacks it (GPU Multiplier).

I understand ULV CPUs DO NOT have over-clocking capabilities, but it would be really helpful to be able to restrict clocks lower than the specified maximum for both GPU AND CPU.

This would help users adjust their CPU and GPU performance needs without sacrificing battery life or running into aggressive Power Limit Throttling. (I know you can increase the Turbo Boost TDP but there is still significant throttling after 30 sec of GPU load.

Please add adjustable multipliers for both CPU and GPU (NOT OVERCLOCKING!!!), and limiting minimum values where appropriate.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, negusp:

Thank you for contacting the Intel Communities.

I would like to recommend you to check with the manufacturer of your device if this could be enabled in your system's BIOS.

http://support.hp.com/us-en HP Customer Support | HP® Customer Support

Reasoning: This is because the OEM or manufacturer of your device, is entitle to enable or disable what can be managed by the different tools you use with your computer.

The Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility communicates directly with the BIOS in your system, so chances are that options related to graphics are locked to be changed or managed by this utility.

If any additional questions or inquiries are present, feel free to contact us back.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos
PNegu
Novice

I don't really think that restricting clocks is an OEM BIOS issue.

Intel SpeedStep is enabled, and that is really the only setting that needs to be ticked for this.

When adjusting the Intel Graphics CC settings, when set to "Maximum Battery Life", the GPU is restricted to 400 MHz, while at "Balanced" and "Maximum Performance" the GPU is allowed its full boost range (to 1 GHz). I believe this is also similar to how we can restrict the percentage of CPU clock in Power Options.

Thus, I assume software can restrict GPU clock rates, and if XTU cannot control it them it would be great to have a GPU limiter in Power Options or the Intel CC.

0 Kudos
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, negusp:

Thank you for your answer.

In order to get this changed, it would be with an unlocked processor as mentioned before, I cannot make sure Intel is going to enable this with locked processors.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos
PNegu
Novice

Sorry, but under Linux you can adjust the maximum clock of the GPU via the /sys/class/drm/card0/gt_max_freq_mhz.

Viewing the gt_cur_freq_mhz shows the current clock, and the above method does work.

However, linux does use the open-source Intel GPU driver (running Ubuntu 16.04), but this means it is not hardware related- I don't need an unlocked processor.

Suggestions?

0 Kudos