Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Intel hd 620 vram doesnt change.

ASult5
Beginner

So the problem here is that i used to play gta v on my hp notebook with i7 7500u back in the day with almost 40-30 fps on minimum settings. One thing i changed back then was vram. The game was showing around 4gb of vram in graphics settings and it was lagging like hell. when i reduced to 1298mb through registry then almost all of my games started running smoothly without any problem. After a recent update i tried to decrease my vram from registry but it doesnt work now and i simply cannot play any game without lagging. Also i saw a bunch of videos, tutuorials, articles but they all are telling the same method to increase/decrease vram through registry. One thing i would like to clear is that i already tried to change it by bios but there is no such function in bios to increase/decrease vram

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

If there are any settings available in BIOS, they do not affect runtime; they are ignored by the runtime driver. Your best bet for increasing graphics performance is simply increasing the amount of RAM available; the driver will use up to 50% of the available RAM as needs necessitate. As for the registry, since these parameters were never officially supported, Intel can make changes in how/whether they work as they see fit (not that I am saying that anything has been changed).

...S

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User
0 Kudos
ASult5
Beginner

Is there anyway to decrease this vram since it is way to much, only 4gb of ram is left where as if i reduce vram to 1 gb then the game will work fine

Grand Theft Auto V 3_31_2020 3_07_03 PM.png

I want my vram to be same as shown in video below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJhBzAKvse4&t=43s

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

No, the driver will, by default, take a much smaller amount of memory (nowhere near 1GB) and will allocate more (up to 50% of available memory) as necessary based upon graphics load. When this memory is no longer needed for the current graphics load, it will be deallocated and available for other usages. Changing the minimum via the registry is really only necessary if you have a really old game that will not start because only a small amount is allocated (which is a bug in the game!).

...S

0 Kudos