Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Intel igpu (4600) - HDMI - Nvidia Optimus - Sound/video nightmare...back from the grave.

SPeti1
Novice

Hello,

starting a new post for the same issues I posted a year ago...

I am now convinced that the optimus technology and association with an intel igpu is deeply flawed. Here's why:

I am trying to connect my laptop to a tv through a hdmi cable.

Expected behavior: start computer / plug cable / switch on tv / play games & listen to music on your tv.

That's not what happens at all with my Lenovo Y50 (4600+860m).

When I plug a hdmi cable, the laptop display is cloned on the tv but any video stutters at roughly 20fps and there is no sound (my own videos, youtube etc).

After trying a gazillion intel drivers (including hdmi test), the results have always been the same.

After searching the depths of old posts on the net, someone suggested closing the lid of my laptop or using windows' "second screen only" option.

Lo and behold. BOOTING or REBOOTING the laptop with everything plugged-in makes it work: videos work smoothly and WITH SOUND on the TV (intel hdmi audio for displays). If I just switch to "second screen only" option without rebooting first, videos don't even load! The drawback is that my laptop screen is condemned to remain black. Cloning display produces above, broken results.

Next part of the nightmare...GAMES. You know why I bought a laptop with a 860m chip? to PLAY GAMES. Thank you Lenovo for not allowing me to switch off the intel 4600 igpu. Thank you Lenovo and NVIDIA for "wiring" the NVidia chip to the intel igpu and messing up hdmi connections.

What happens when I play a game, still using the "second screen only" option (black screen on laptop):

The games DO use the NVIDIA chip, thank GOD. But no sound is played through intel's hdmi for displays playback device (DUH!). There is of course NO NVidia hdmi playback device (although there is a NVidia audio driver in 'device drivers'. The only way to have sound is to use my realtek chip as the default device, which implies that no sounds comes out of the better-sounding tv.

yes, it is a nightmarish design.

Optimal pain-free dreamlike setup WOULD HAVE BEEN to: let us use the NVidia chip whenever we want, allow us to clone display when we want, and play sound through NVidia hdmi audio as it is meant to be (see traditional pc setup).

Ranting is over.

Can anyone at intel confirm that my laptop will never work simply with hdmi?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

The computer you own is a hybrid graphics computer and it requires a customize driver to work as it should.

From our side, we have generic drivers for your computer only. You can try our driver but the best step here is to get your driver from the Computer Manufacture since it contains the configuration for switchable graphics.

Kevin M

SPeti1
Novice

Generic answer for intel's generic driver?

Lenovo's driver was the first I tried. Beside being outdated, it doesn't even seem to have been customized at all. It provides the exact same results as other drivers provided straight from Intel.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi SneakyLittleman,

It is better to contact Lenovo and request for support. This computer provides with HD Audio and HD video through the HDMI port. Check if you are the latest BIOS version of the motherboard.

Lenovo* Support

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/ideapad-y-series-laptops?c=1 http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/ideapad-y-series-laptops?c=1

Mike C

SPeti1
Novice

Further investigations point to a flaw in intel's audio driver. I can play hd videos smoothly over hdmi as long as I don't select intel's display audio driver. When I do, no sound is played and fps drop to 10/15 frames per second.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi SneakyLittleman,

Please remember you have switchable graphics and the laptop manufacturer customized the drivers; it is necessary to use the default settings of your computer.

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos