Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

IntelAudioService.exe crashes on boot after update to Windows 10 1903.

MacrossMike
Beginner

Ever since I updated to Windows 10 v1903 a few days ago, the Intel Display Audio Service (IntelAudioService.exe) crashes on boot and will not start.

The error data is as follows:

Faulting application name: IntelAudioService.exe, version: 1.0.152.0, time stamp: 0x5bd0d480

Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x00007ffd9c0b1aae

Faulting process id: 0x1718

Faulting application start time: 0x01d51a6b4de30ee9

Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\cAVS\Intel(R) Audio Service\IntelAudioService.exe

Faulting module path: unknown

Report Id: c2ee898e-a9d9-433a-a039-476c632db215

Faulting package full name: 

Faulting package-relative application ID: 

My system has a i7-8550U and a UHD Graphics 620 setup.

I've tried a number of recommended diagnostic and repair measures for this problem, which is tanking my computer's reliability index, including uninstalling and reinstalling the Intel graphics driver software to no avail.

Can anyone offer me any guidance on how to resolve this issue? I know I've fixed it before when it happened after the last major Windows update but I can't for the life of me remember how.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

What version of the Intel HD Graphics driver package are you installing? The latest is 26.20.100.6890. If you aren't running this version, give it a try. You can download it here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28816/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers?product=149161.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
MacrossMike
Beginner

I've got 23.20.16.4973, which is the latest driver package released by my PC's manufacturer.

The installer for 26.20.100.6890 refuses to run, it just unpacks and tells me my system doesn't support it because it has manufacturer-specific drivers on it.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Ooo, that's pretty ancient. Is this laptop Intel-only graphics? If so, you need to ask your vendor whether they actually modified the Intel driver. If they did, you are stuck. If they did not, then you can upgrade to the generic Intel drivers. You will simply have to remove the existing driver completely before installing the new one. See instructions I provided in this discussion: https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004EMdcoSAD/unable-to-update-intel-uhd-graphics-610630-series-dc-driver-so-unable-to-extended-monitor

...S

0 Kudos
MacrossMike
Beginner

Yeah, HP has the driver softpaq marked as released (by them) back in April 2018 for the Windows 10 1803 update. As much as I like their laptops for their general reliability and long service lifespans, their driver support is infuriating at the best of times.

Credit where credit is due, the actual graphics driver and control panel still seem to work perfectly after the Windows 10 1903 update. It's just the Intel Audio Service that keeps faulting. Is there a method to update the Intel audio drivers separately from the ones for the graphics? If so, I might try the uninstall and reinstall method you linked to for the Intel Display Audio.

(If anyone knows, what does the IntelAudioService.exe/Intel Display Audio service actually do? Would my system performance suffer any if I just disabled that service until HP gets its act together with an update?)

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Well, since it has now been reported that the problem still occurs with the latest package released by Intel, an update from HP might be premature anyway.

The Intel Audio Service supports the routing of audio output over the DP/HDMI connection. It appears as an audio device and has support for automatically taking over as the default audio device if none is selected and a new (and capable) monitor is detected. Because it is tied to the graphics driver, it cannot be decoupled and handled separately.

BTW, you do not need to disable this service/device. Simply select some other audio output as your default device.

...S

0 Kudos
MacrossMike
Beginner

Ach, so this is likely an interaction between 1903 and the service rather than a defect in the service itself caused by the update. Bummer.

I guess I'll cool my heels and wait for the fix. For now I'll ensure the Realtek audio adapter is set as my default and wait for the experts to sort it out.

Thanks for all your help, @n.scott.pearson​ . 🙂

0 Kudos
tennessee
Beginner

Has anyone found a solution to this yet? I've been having the same problem for over a year now and have completely reset my computer back to factory settings and it still didn't help. I'm about to pull my hair out! Bluetooth and headphones and microphone all work. It's just my internal speakers that I can't for the life of me figure out what to do. I'm on a HP Spectre X360 13-ac023dx with intel 620 graphics. If you need any more info let me know, but I'm having the exact same issue as the original post.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

@tennessee This thread is 3 years old.   Start a new thread for yourself, with complete information.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos