Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20602 Discussions

Iris Xe Graphics doesn't run DirectX 9 game properly

netspace_paste
Beginner

Dear community,

as I've recently bought a new laptop with Intel i7 1255U CPU and integrated Iris Xe Graphics, I've tried to install "Train Simulator Classic" from Steam on my device. As far as I know, the game has been created over 15 years ago and makes use of DirectX 9. However, while running the game, I always end up with a black screen or the game hanging up with zero CPU/GPU usage.

I've read that DirectX 9 commands should be converted to DirectX 12 commands by the system, as newer Intel graphics don't provide support to DirectX 9 games any more.

Is there anything I can do in order to fix this problem and to run DirectX 9 programs without further issues?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello netspace_paste,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with your Intel® Iris® Xe Graphics Family.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. What is the brand and model name of your laptop?

2. What is the driver version installed?

3. Do you have any issues with other games?

4. Do you see the black screen as soon as the game opens or after a while of playing?

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
netspace_paste
Beginner

Dear @DeividA_Intel ,

my laptop model is the Thinkpad E15 Gen4 from Lenovo. Currently, I have the Intel driver version 31.0.101.4032 for Intel Iris Xe Graphics installed. Except for Train Simulator and Minecraft I haven't tried any other games on my laptop. Minecraft ran well without any issues and with good performance. Furthermore, I'm also able to run Train Simulator as far as to the game menu, but as soon as I get into the game, it hangs up and crashes. I've experienced that with dynamic lighting effects turned off it is possible to play the game though, but as a consequence the graphics provided aren't very desirable.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello netspace_paste, 

Thank you for the information provided 

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello netspace_paste, 

Thanks for your patience. In order to continue with the investigation, I would like to confirm the following:

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.  

2. Was the DX9 working properly with older drivers? Or did it never work?

3. Have you tried to reinstall the game?

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
netspace_paste
Beginner

Hello @DeividA_Intel ,

DirectX 9 never worked properly on the laptop I'm currently using, as it is a brand new device so I don't have any experience with older drivers on this device. I've already tried reinstalling the game once, but it didn't make any difference.

I've found kind of a solution in the internet, a software called DXVK which is made for use in Linux together with Wine to run DirectX-based games. It translates DirectX calls to Vulkan. However, it's an additional layer between the game and the graphics card which may affect the performance. Also, there is no support and guarantee for usage on Windows devices. But it seems to work with Train Simulator though. However, it's not reliable because games may still choose the system's files instead of DXVK so it isn't be the best solution.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Many thanks for the information provided.

I will work further on this issue. As soon as I have an update, I will let you know.

Best regards,

Steven G.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
netspace_paste
Beginner

@Steven_Intel @DeividA_Intel Thank you very much for your efforts so far! I'm looking forward to your posts when you have found out more!

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello netspace_paste, 

Thanks for your patience. Since DX is the property of and is sustained by Microsoft. I recommend you share your findings with the Microsoft Support team so they can include the proper fixes in their next update of the operating system and the DX APIs.

You can access Microsoft support using the following link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-US

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.  

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos