Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20911 Discussions

Iris Xe Graphics driver on 6 bit on external monitor

Willw
Beginner

I have a new Surface Pro 8 that is connected to an external monitor.  When the computer is attached to the external display it only is showing 6-bit video and as such the image is very blotchy and banded.  I have installed the latest Intel Xe Graphics drivers as well as a previous version and neither had any improvement.

If I disable the Xe graphics in Device Manager the system goes back to the Microsoft Basic driver, and the color depths is showing 8-bit.  The monitor can display 10-bit, however the Intel Xe is only displaying 6-bit on the external display with no option to change.

The firmware is up to date and everything looks to be working correctly on the computer.  I have set Windows to be External Screen only.

I have tried the following Intel Xe drivers: 100.9864 and 101.1069 neither have fixed the issue.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Willw, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this scenario, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

When did you purchase the Surface Pro 8?

What is the model of the external monitor?

Were you able to set 8-bit or 10-bit ever on this machine while using an Intel® graphics driver?

If that is the case, do you remember the Intel® driver version?

When did the issue start?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes that might cause this problem?

Which Windows* version are you using?

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?

While the external monitor is connected to the Surface Pro 8, please run and attach the Intel® graphics report and the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005848/graphics.html

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello Willw, I just wanted to check if you saw the information posted previously and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello Willw, Since we have not heard back from you, we are closing the case, but if you have any additional questions, please post them on a new thread so we can further assist you with this matter.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos