Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Is it possible to increase the amount of dedicated video ram?

BMatc
Beginner

I have a Lenovo Y50-70 touch with 8GB of ram. It comes with an Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600. It says that there is 4189 MB of total available graphics memory but only 128 MB of that is dedicated video memory, which makes it difficult to run some games. I have 4052 MB of shared system memory and I'm wondering if there's any way I can increased my dedicated video memory.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Bryce__Intel
Employee

The info I have on Memory allocation under Windows 7 and later states... Basically, the memory configured in BIOS is dedicated to graphics ("DVM" or dedicated video memory), but the OS is free to allocate more ("SVM" - system video memory and "SSM" - shared system memory), and usually does.

A colleague posted this feature in . Please check the ReleaseNotes for more info.

Dedicated Memory Reporting

The graphics driver now reports some amount of fictitious "dedicated" graphics memory to the operating system (128MB by default) to work around applications issues in a number of games. These games incorrectly look for some amount of "dedicated" graphics memory because they weren't coded with the unified memory architecture for processor graphics.

The amount reported can be modified or disabled if desired by changing the following registry value:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Intel\GMM, create a REG_DWORD value named "DedicatedSegmentSize". The value is interpreted as number of MB to report (0-512MB). A value of 0 disables reporting the dummy memory segment. If the registry key/value is not found, the driver will report the default 128MB.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
gbhj
New Contributor I

there is an option to set the value of the dedicated memory in the registry

navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Intel\GMM and set DedicatedSegmentSize to the amount you want to be reported to games

Bryce__Intel
Employee

The info I have on Memory allocation under Windows 7 and later states... Basically, the memory configured in BIOS is dedicated to graphics ("DVM" or dedicated video memory), but the OS is free to allocate more ("SVM" - system video memory and "SSM" - shared system memory), and usually does.

A colleague posted this feature in . Please check the ReleaseNotes for more info.

Dedicated Memory Reporting

The graphics driver now reports some amount of fictitious "dedicated" graphics memory to the operating system (128MB by default) to work around applications issues in a number of games. These games incorrectly look for some amount of "dedicated" graphics memory because they weren't coded with the unified memory architecture for processor graphics.

The amount reported can be modified or disabled if desired by changing the following registry value:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Intel\GMM, create a REG_DWORD value named "DedicatedSegmentSize". The value is interpreted as number of MB to report (0-512MB). A value of 0 disables reporting the dummy memory segment. If the registry key/value is not found, the driver will report the default 128MB.
BMatc
Beginner

I went through all those steps except when I got to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Intel there was no GMM for me to select. I double checked all of the folders other Intel and couldn't find the GMM folder.

gbhj
New Contributor I

the folder (key) has to be created by right clicking and adding new key

the driver setup is should to create the folder but that was removed in newer driver and documentation about this was removed

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

@Bryce_Intel,

Does this still apply to the new/newer DCH drivers or is this registry key effectively ignored now?

...S