Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20620 Discussions

Is there a way for me to update the driver installed on my computer if the product installed has been discontinued?

CSmit83
Beginner

I am having some graphics card issues and it was suggested to me to update my driver. However, after talking to Intel Support, they told me that they are unable to provide any support as the product installed on my computer has been discontinued.

Product details:

Intel® Core™ i7-2600K Processor

Intel® HD Graphics 3000

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Your processor and graphics are not supported on windows 10. Windows 10 will run, but you will be using the Microsoft generic graphics driver, which is limited in features and performance.

There is no driver update. Consider purchasing new(er) hardware that is supported on Windows 10.

Doc

0 Kudos
CSmit83
Beginner

Am I able to run the computer and the programs on it with a previous version of Windows that would support the processor and graphics?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

No. Intel is not providing drivers or support for:

1. EOL'ed processors, chipsets and motherboards. All of the 2nd gen. Core processors (including the i7-2600K) were EOL'ed years ago and, in fact, have never been supported with Windows 10.
  2. EOL'ed Operating Systems (only Windows 10 is supported - and only then with non-EOL'ed processors, chipsets and motherboards).

Fact is, Windows 10's compatibility drivers do a pretty good job of supporting all of this Intel-unsupported hardware. The primary exception is the Intel HD Graphics engines. Your solutions for this situation are thus:

1. Install an add-in NVIDIA/AMD graphics card (an older one that is compatible with your motherboard). I have a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti card in my i7-2600-based system.
  2. Purchase a more-modern PC.

Sorry, reality bites,

...S

0 Kudos