Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20692 Discussions

Issue: x38 express chipset - ICH9R - windows 7 RC - eSATA external RAID enclosure

idata
Employee

Hi,

I am using a Dell XPS 420 and in Windows 7 RC, it seem to have some issue detecting my eSATA RAID enclosure, which Windows Vista never had problem with.

The enclosure I am having issue with is a Sans Digital MobileSTOR MS2UT eSATA RAID enclosure (set in hardware RAID 1). It is connected directly to a SATA port through a eSATA connector. I am using the onboard Intel RAID controller (ICH9R). The chipset drivers (Intel X38 express chipset) and the storage controller driver (SATA RAID controller driver) are updated to their latest version.

If I have the unit ON and power-up my computer, Windows 7 will hang at the first boot "windows logo" (the one that appears before going to the login screen). Be aware that this has never happened on Vista SP1 (would boot into windows normally). I have to force shut-down the machine and close the unit in order to be able to boot in W7.

Once I am in W7, the only way I found to kind of get the enclosure to work is:

by powering-up the unit, then by going in Computer Management>Storage>Disk Management, right-click and select Rescan Disks; after several minutes, the unit will appear. If I restart again, same issue where it will hang at boot logo.

Now remember that I never had any problem with this enclosure in Vista whatsoever; I get straight into Vista without a hitch, and that, using the same configuration. Also, note that I have tried another enclosure, this time a single drive eSATA enclosure and with this one I can boot up fine and windows 7 detects the drive like a charm.

What could be wrong here? RAID controller driver issue with W7? Does W7 proceeds differently than Vista on boot when detecting drives?

If anyone can help with this I would really appreciate.... hope I can get this working before RTM

Please help! Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

anyone? please help?!

0 Kudos
DFall3
Beginner

I know this issue is old and it's related to Windows 7.

Had some issues clean installing Windows 10 on my old Gigabyte X38-DS4 which can use SATA AHCI native on the ICH9R southbridge.

So here goes. Since I found what works. Cannot attach my own files here, so you'll have to download externally.

This guy @ http://www.win-raid.com/t29f25-Recommended-AHCI-RAID-and-NVMe-Drivers.html http://www.win-raid.com/t29f25-Recommended-AHCI-RAID-and-NVMe-Drivers.html is pretty cool.

If you want SATA AHCI Native mode on Windows 64-bit:

Download:

1. Universal 64bit Intel RSTe AHCI+RAID drivers v12.9.4.1000 mod+signed by Fernando.rar

2. Universal 64bit Intel RST Software v12.9.4.1000.rar

from http://www.win-raid.com/t11f23-Modded-Intel-AHCI-and-RAID-Drivers-digitally-signed.html Modded Intel AHCI and RAID Drivers (digitally signed)

*** For X38-DS4 SATA AHCI Native mode on Windows 10 ***

* The southbridge SATA controller on the X38-DS4 is Intel ICH9R *

1. When fresh installing, place the drivers on a USB/Floppy drive and install them when setting up your installation of Windows 10

>> iaAHCIC.inf = AHCI Mode (What I use. No RAID)

>> iaStorAC.inf = RAID Mode

2. When Windows boots ensure that the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers >> Sata Driver is actually listed with ...added by Fernando (at the end).

>> If it isn't, first run Win-RAID CA Certificate\ImportCertificate.cmd as admin and do that, then update the driver manually selecting iaAHCIC.inf for AHCI mode.

3. Install the RST Software "Universal 64bit Intel RST Software v12.9.4.1000 (RST_x64).exe".

4. Reboot.

Enjoy!

Notes: Stick with v12.9.4.1000, as it supports the X38-DS4's southbridge ICH9R, thanks to Fernando's mod.

Windows will probably never provide an update for this old Intel SATA controller. So stick with what works and smile if it works as it should.

You may have been successful installing windows in SATA AHCI native mode without another driver? I had problems and spent a night resetting my Gigabyte X38-DS4's BIOS with a screwdriver.

If you have problems with an error 23 at SATA BIOS, reset your BIOS via two pins near battery on mobo and do this...

1. Leave your BIOS set to IDE (usually BIOS default)

2. Start Windows installation. Just delete the partitions when you get to that and then power off (use the switch on PSU or pull the plug)

3. Hold DEL and get to BIOS. Set SATA on with AHCI and SATA Native mode.

4. Reinstall Windows (use that USB stick with Fernando's modified intel inf during setup)

Hope this helps someone,

Andrew
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, Androo:

Thank you for sharing your experience with this, for sure it will help other customers that could have this scenario.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos