Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

Issues with INTEL UHD 630

rylenf
Beginner

Hello!

I am sure I am not the only one with issues. The graphics card constantly runs at 100% utilization, causing stuttering when watching movies or streaming. This has been happening for 6 months or longer. It used to just happen when the HDMI cable was plugged in. (which is also super annoying)

So far the only way to fix is to disable entirely and run off the nvidia graphics (which wont work for all games), or disable and re-enable UHD 630 in device manager.  After which it will run smoothly, until the laptop is restarted, or the lid is closed and reopened.

There have been many driver updates in the last few months, so I imagine they are aware of the issue. But so far the same issue exists.

Anyone else have some insight?

Thanks

0 Kudos
16 Replies
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello rylenf

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We understand that your system has dual-graphics. This configuration has two main components: Hardware component and Operating System (OS) component. The first one is related to the design and integration by the computer/laptop manufacturer (OEM), and the second one is regarding how resources are handled and assigned to the different tasks. It could be that something changed in one of the updates from the point when it worked fine. It could be an OS update, a BIOS update, a customized driver from OEM, etc, that changed the behavior and performance (we are guessing this work fine before, is this correct?).

In this case, our first recommendation is to check with your OEM if they have information about known issues or additional reports about this behavior with this specific/same laptop model that you have, so they can provide further assistance and recommendations.

Nevertherless, we can try to check this further and atemp to replicate the behavior if you provide the following information:

1- Step-by-step details on how to reproduce the issue. You can provide screenshots or a short video ilustrating these steps and provide a sample video file or link as a reference for testing.

2- Screenshot from Windows® Tasks Manager tabs:

• Processes tab order by "GPU"
  • Performance Tab

3- Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) report to gather more details about your system.

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello rylenf

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you were able to check our previous post. If you need further assistance, please do not hesistate to contact us back.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
rylenf
Beginner

Here is the information requested

I will update with another screenshot when the UHD 630 performance bogs up. At the moment it is working properly.

There was two days ago another UHD 630 driver update release, I feel like this is a known issue and is trying to be addressed by your software team.

Thanks for being helpful!

0 Kudos
rylenf
Beginner

Here is a shot of the graphics card maxing out. Currently trying to watch a movie and light browsing.

The video has become choppy and pixelated, and even scrolling, opening new windows and typing is delayed.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello rylenf

Thank you for your response.

We noticed that your system is running the latest generic graphics driver from Intel® (and perhaps a generic driver from NVIDIA® too?). Installing this Intel generic graphics driver will overwrite your computer manufacturer (OEM) customized driver. OEM drivers are handpicked and include customized features and solutions to platform-specific issues. The driver or software for your Intel® component might have been changed or replaced by the computer manufacturer.

In this case, we would like to recommend a Clean Installation of Intel® Graphics Drivers in Windows® 10 following the steps on this link:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057389/graphics.html

Please perform the steps using the customized driver from DELL* website.

Intel-UHD-Graphics-Driver_1J8P4_WIN_26.20.100.8141_A06.EXE, version 26.20.100.8141, A06 >> https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/g-series-15-5587-laptop/drivers

We also recommend installing the customized driver from DELL website for your NVIDIA® video card, for instance, NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-Series-with-Max-Q-Design-Graphics_0WW83_WIN_26.21.14.4223_A07.EXE, version 26.21.14.4223, A07

Please contact DELL™ support for more information and installation instructions.

Check the Power plan settings (Balanced and High Performance). Right-click on Windows® Start menu, click on Power Options, click on Additional power settings.

One more step. Since your system is running Windows® version 1909. you may try to update to the latest stable version available "2004" to see if the behavior persists.

Also, it would be helpful if you could provide step-by-step details on how to reproduce the issue. Please provide screenshots or a short video ilustrating these steps and provide a sample video file or link as a reference for testing.

Additionally, please test video behavior using local video files. Download some test files from this website* http://jell.yfish.us/ and test the behavior. Please let us know which files you tested so we can test them too.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello rylenf

We would like to know if you were able to review our previous post. Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
rylenf
Beginner

Hey Andrew, Thanks for your prompt responses. I will try a few of your suggestions.

Normally I keep my pc up to date with windows update, the GeForce experience app to update the Gtx 1050. And the intel driver support utility.

However I have not tried using the drivers recommended by Dell, I will try them and get back to you.
0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello rylenf

Thank you for your response. It is good to know you will try with DELL* drivers. Please feel free to share any feedback about the outcome of the steps.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello rylenf

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you were able to test with DELL* drivers or if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
rylenf
Beginner

Hey Andrew!

Thanks for keeping in touch!

Tried out the dell specific drivers. And I am still encountering the same 100% task manager usage spike on the UHD630 hardware. Something as simple as moving the task manager window around in circles on the desktop will cause the spikes. (not just on video playback)

However I have realized that this spike occurs only when on battery power. I have set my battery power plan to Best Performance. As well as reset all the battery plans back to default settings. But it still occurs.

For some reason windows update refuses to update to the windows 10 2004, it always returns an error.

I will keep playing around, see if I can narrow down the cause.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello rylenf

Since the issue persists even after testing with DELL* drivers and changing Power settings, we would like to recommend you to run an Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool test and provide us with the report. The purpose of the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool is to verify the functionality of an Intel® microprocessor.

You can download the proper version (32 or 64 bit) from this link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

To save the report, once the test is done, click on "File >> View Results File" and attach the .txt file to your reply.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
rylenf
Beginner

She seems pretty happy with the results. Everything passed.

Attached is the file report

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello rylenf

Since the test is passed, this indicates that the processor and its integrated graphics unit are fine and there are no problems with them. Since the issue started around six months ago, this could be related to any OS update in the past which changed something affecting the dual-graphics functionality. Dual graphics configurations (switchable or hybrid graphics) is a custom design from the computer manufacturer (OEM), and the operation of switchable or hybrid graphics is under the operating system (OS) responsibility so the issue seems to be related to how the OS is handling graphics resources.

Since this is a laptop, at this point our recommendation is to check this further with your OEM (in this case Dell*), for instance, to get assistance to try a factory restore so the device can be loaded with factory settings to see if this helps to solve the behavior. Before trying a factory restore, we highly recommend getting direct guidance from your OEM and to have a backup of your data.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello rylenf

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
rylenf
Beginner

Thanks for all your help Andrew.

If I figure out a permanent fix I will let you know.

0 Kudos
rylenf
Beginner

And you are sure this isnt a common issue? there is an Intel grapic driver update quite frequently.... ? since I first spoke to you probably at least 12 - 20

updates.....

0 Kudos