Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Laptop with Intel 620 graphics freezes when hibernating.

JLaBa2
Beginner

I have an Acer Nitro 5 Spin 8th gen i5 with the 620 graphics. With the Intel drivers installed I cannot hibernate the computer with the lid open, or it freezes and I have to hard reset it.

With the Microsoft generic drivers this issue is resolved, but then it will assign programs like MS word to run on the 1050, and games to run on the i-gpu, and I cannot get them to switch.

I have refreshed and reinstalled windows several times, and on a fresh install it still has the issue once I enable hibernation.

So, I have tried every 620 driver revision I can get my hands on and have made no progress, is there something I am missing or something I can do to resolve this issue? I tried to get the Dell version of the 620 drivers but I couldn't force them to install and I need to ghet this laptop working for school in August. Any help/tips would be very appreciated.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
JLaBa2
Beginner

The driver update from yesterday did not solve my issue.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello JustinIsConfused

Thank you for joining this community.

In order for me to assist you better and to provide you with more information regarding this matter, please provide me with the .txt file that the System Support Utility will generate. To attach a file, you must click the "Attach" option on the bottom right-hand corner of the response box.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

I hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
JLaBa2
Beginner

Here you go, Thank you for your time so far and I hope this helps.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello JustinIsConfused

Thank you for your response.

In this case, I totally understand that your machine needs to be running as soon as possible, we will do our best to help you out.

Based on the report that you attached to us, we noticed that your system is running hybrid (dual Graphics) between our Intel® GPU and a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050.

We can tell based on the report that you sent that you are using our latest Graphic Generic drivers, however in this case the best option for you is to perform a clean installation from zero of the OEM drivers (ACER*) that are optimized for your system.

W e will need you to uninstall the current graphic drivers that your system has (Intel® and ACER*), until the basic Microsoft*display driver is exposed (please make sure that you will do it with no internet access)

After that, for troubleshooting purposes please install the latest VGA Drivers (Intel® and ACER*) found here:

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7410?b=1 https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7410?b=1

Please let us know the outcome and the behavior of the machine after the update.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
JLaBa2
Beginner

Thank you, am installing the Acer drivers now.

0 Kudos
JLaBa2
Beginner

That did not fix the issue. Still locks up when trying to wake it. Installed the stock Acer intel and nvidia driver.

I would just switch the the Microsoft Generic driver, because that hibernates properly, but then the Nvidia software that picks which graphics processor to use is always backwards. i.e. 1050 for MS word and iGPU for rocket league, and the manual settings don't fix it.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello JustinIsConfused,

Thank you for your response.

In this case is expected to have certain issues with our latest Intel ® Generic Drivers, since these are not optimized / customized for your machine.

However, the fact that after performing a clean installation of the drivers provided by your equipment manufacturer did not fix the issue that you are experiencing really caught our concern.

In order to isolate the issue we strongly recommend you to contact your equipment manufacturer so they can replicate the issue that you are experiencing with their drivers and their system model, in that way, if there is any patch or update missing on your system they can guide you through their support.

You can contact them here:

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
JLaBa2
Beginner

Acer has not been much help in the matter. And i have had similar hibernation issues across all brands of dual GPU laptops. Acer tells me to just to a battery reset and then to reinstall windows. Which I have done, and then to update my drivers, which didn't fix it,

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello JustinIsConfused

Based on your response we think that you might be facing hardware issues.

The reason for that conclusion is because you already tried to clean install our Generic Drivers, along with the OEM drivers that are customized for your machine.

As well we understand that you already reinstalled your OS from zero as part of the troubleshooting steps recommended by your Equipment manufacturer.

In addition you already performed a battery reset.

If your machine runs perfectly fine with the Microsoft* basic generic drivers, is because these drivers do not affect the frequency or power management functions of your machine as our drivers and OEM's drivers do.

When the newest drivers are installed (either Intel's ® or Acer's*) these functions and features start to kick in your system, and the systems starts to fail, caused probably by a damage on the graphic portion of system.

We strongly recommend as before, contacting your equipment manufacturer so they can replicate the issue or replace our machine under warranty if it is necessary.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
JLaBa2
Beginner

I will do that, thank you

0 Kudos
JLaBa2
Beginner

Issue solved. Long story shot, get the i7.

0 Kudos