Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20710 Discussions

Latest HD 4000 drivers cannot be used for live TV (HD)

RMitr1
New Contributor I

HI,

I'm trying to evaluate the latest HD4000 processors for HTPC use.

Before deciding I decided to test the HTPC typical capabilities on my desktop with a new i7 3770 in an Asus P8Z77-V and ddr3-1600 memory.

I am testing using Windows 7 x64, mainly Media center (but sometimes also media player)

As it turns out, I have heavy corruption on start of any HD video. The corruption lasts for anything between 20s to 2min, before it stabilizes. This happens any time I switch channels on live TV (from an SD to HD channel, or switching between different HD (720p, 1080i)) channels. I also found this behaviour when trying to play back recorded TV of that type, and again when I resize the media playback window. I have of course verified, that the appropriate channels or content other wise play fine on my older systems, including a DG45ID+C5200, a DH57DD+i3-540, a DQ57TM+i5-660 and a DZ68DB+i7-2600k, each running win7 x64.

I have tried drivers from OEM site, which currently is v 2596, and generic drivers 2696 and the latest 2761. All show the same behaviour.

The release note of the latest generic driver contain the known issue:

KNOWN ISSUES IN DRIVER VERSION 2761

VIDEO PLAYBACK

 Windows Media Player* application: Corruption may be seen in video playback after changing the display resolution.

Is this what I'm seeing?

If yes, are there any hopes this is going to be fixed?

Needless to say, this behaviour effectively prohibits the use of Ivy Bridge in HTPCs then.

Thx

Update Oct 24. Driver Version 2867 -- no fix

Update Nov. 2 Driver Version 2875 -- no fix

0 Kudos
101 Replies
idata
Employee

@freaxx

Yes, I've tested with both LAV and ffdshow as a replacement of the Microsoft DTV decoder. There was no more image corruption in WMC! However, you can no longer use fast forward and rewind, and thumbnails are gone. So that's also a no-go for me.

I'm just hoping a new driver will fix this.

0 Kudos
MEA1
New Contributor II

check this

/message/140990# 140990 http://communities.intel.com/message/140990

this problem is present since the 1st and 2nd generation and no one care about it from intel

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

there seems to exist a "Custom Modes/Resolutions feature", that you can activate on some mainboards but not on all mainboards (?):

--> http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-029478.htm Graphics — Custom Modes Addition feature questions and answers

did someone try that already - to find "special settings" that works with 1080i50 ?

see here as well :

-->

0 Kudos
RMitr1
New Contributor I

I don't think this has anything to do with the problem discussed here. This 42s corruption is only present on IB processors and NOT on previous ones.

It is also only present when used by the combination of MS-DTV decoder and EVR.

Other decoders/renderers do not have this (specific) problem.

Also, switching off DXVA use helps, but is not an option, IMO.

The latest test drivers for win8 (2849) do not help.

I think I'll forget about IB and stick with SB, that at least works.

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Hi All

We have replicated the issue in our lab and are currently working to debug and root cause the issue. I will post and update one we have a solution for the issue.

idata
Employee

Hi Robert,

nice to hear !

Do you speaking of both Windows 7 and Windows 8 ?

(The Microsoft DXVA-, MS-DTV and Live-TV -decoders are slightly different in Win8 vs. Win7)

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Windows 7 and Windows 8.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Robert, great news! We will be eagerly awaiting more info on this issue. The fact that you can replicate the problem makes me confident that it will be solved.

0 Kudos
RMitr1
New Contributor I

Hi Robert,

nice to hear. Please let us know if you need additional samples or other info.

As a matter of fact, it is not only 1080i50, but also seems to depend on the type/rate of compression. I sometimes have streams that seem to work, but most of them do not.

I have to rephrase that: There are some (very few) cases, where 1080i50 works and does not show this effect, so I think it also has to do with the stream compression parameters or so. I can provide them, if needed.

For those of you having access to astra19.2: I'm talking of servusTV HD. I have seen 'good' streams there.

Message was edited by: Robin Mitra

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I'm very glad to hear this is being worked on.

I have provided Intel two samples of 720p HD WTV files recorded in NZ that show the issue, so I hope that helps.

G.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I think we are talking about an 1080i50 -issue here (espeacially with MS-DTV an DXVA) ?

720p50 works fine on my side (ivy-bridge), no matter if live-tv, streams or files (e.g. WTV)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Some of my Recorded TV content might 1080i, but I think the TV stations are mostly broadcasting in 720p in NZ.

I am also noticing small video stutter issues with downloaded H.264 content in an MKV container.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I encounter the following situations, all with 1080i50 content. If desired I can provide samples for all of them.

- Perfectly good playing content. No problems at start of play.

- Content which shows only a few seconds distortion at start of play and when skipping back/forward

- Content which shows 40 seconds distortion at start of play and when skipping back/forward

0 Kudos
RMitr1
New Contributor I

Yes, I have, in the mean time also found samples that work.

BUT,

as I initially said, for the collection of TV-providers I have and watch, at least 90% have the 42s problem.

That's why I really think this needs a fix urgently.

As i also said elsewhere, it is almost like a joke that the distortion is 42 !! secs on my machine, not 41, not 43 but 42 !!

As if someone did it on purpose 🙂

0 Kudos
RMitr1
New Contributor I

Any news about this?

FYI, latest test driver 2857 doesn't show any different behaviour. 1080i50 bug remains.

test files can be found here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zwnr3fp2zq00aj9/GJ6ZzRW0zZ https://www.dropbox....0aj9/GJ6ZzRW0zZ

If you need more, please let me know.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Just got this thru to my follow-up email to Intel support:

Thank you for sending us a follow up email.

Please be patient, this issue has been forwarded to the proper department and they are now checking the videos that you sent. As of now, no information yet if there will be a new driver but don't worry, as soon as I have an update, I will send you an email.

0 Kudos
RMitr1
New Contributor I

Some additional info regarding the 42s bug.

I noticed that this 42s distortion also occurs if the stream has a 'glitch' (happens, with live-TV).

I have a 1080i50 recording which I can watch for some time. After the initial 42s distortion things seem OK. Then I get to the point of the 'glitch' and again it takes 42s until everything looks OK again.

Using a sandy bridge/clarkdale/X4500 the glitch is just that: a glitch, less than a second. Not so with the IB drivers.

Seems like something is taking a long time to extract some info from the stream, or just looking in the wrong place? Just a guess.

Anyway thanks for confirming that at least someone is looking into it.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee
0 Kudos
RMitr1
New Contributor I

nope,

we're 'being patient' as requested 3 posts above

I have replaced my IB with a SB for now.

0 Kudos
RMitr1
New Contributor I

This issue reported back in June is still unresolved. The public availability of Win8 is this week, I'm wondering, when the next driver drop is expected, and if this issue will be fixed in that.

Anyone from Intel Support, any news/hope? or has it been abandoned.

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Hi All

A fix for this issue has been identified and checked into the driver. The driver with the fix is currently in the validation process so I do not have a release date at this time. I will post a direct link to the driver with this fix once it has been posted to Intel Download Center.

0 Kudos