Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20710 Discussions

Latest HD 4000 drivers cannot be used for live TV (HD)

RMitr1
New Contributor I

HI,

I'm trying to evaluate the latest HD4000 processors for HTPC use.

Before deciding I decided to test the HTPC typical capabilities on my desktop with a new i7 3770 in an Asus P8Z77-V and ddr3-1600 memory.

I am testing using Windows 7 x64, mainly Media center (but sometimes also media player)

As it turns out, I have heavy corruption on start of any HD video. The corruption lasts for anything between 20s to 2min, before it stabilizes. This happens any time I switch channels on live TV (from an SD to HD channel, or switching between different HD (720p, 1080i)) channels. I also found this behaviour when trying to play back recorded TV of that type, and again when I resize the media playback window. I have of course verified, that the appropriate channels or content other wise play fine on my older systems, including a DG45ID+C5200, a DH57DD+i3-540, a DQ57TM+i5-660 and a DZ68DB+i7-2600k, each running win7 x64.

I have tried drivers from OEM site, which currently is v 2596, and generic drivers 2696 and the latest 2761. All show the same behaviour.

The release note of the latest generic driver contain the known issue:

KNOWN ISSUES IN DRIVER VERSION 2761

VIDEO PLAYBACK

 Windows Media Player* application: Corruption may be seen in video playback after changing the display resolution.

Is this what I'm seeing?

If yes, are there any hopes this is going to be fixed?

Needless to say, this behaviour effectively prohibits the use of Ivy Bridge in HTPCs then.

Thx

Update Oct 24. Driver Version 2867 -- no fix

Update Nov. 2 Driver Version 2875 -- no fix

0 Kudos
101 Replies
RMitr1
New Contributor I

Ahh... hope!

Thx, Robert, for notifying us.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Sorry about the noob question - how does one tell if the content is 1080i50hz? I'm setting up a cable tuner/HTPC and was considering using the new Mac Mini with Windows 7 on it. I currently have Win7 installed on this laptop (also a mac) and have been able to use WMC and the tuner on that. How can I find out if any of the channels I use are 50hz to see if this would be a problem for me on the Mini?

Hopefully the new drivers will be released soon and make the point moot..

0 Kudos
RMitr1
New Contributor I

@Mike:in WMC enter 'debug mode'

e.g. tune to 'TV'-channel 411 and press OK on the remote.

If you don't have a remote, type 411 and CTRL-D.

Then you can cycle through numerous pages using left/right arrow.

To leave debug mode tune to a different channel or type 411 left/right

On one of the last pages you see the content properties incl. original resolution/refresh rate.

New drivers are out, I'll try tonight.

0 Kudos
RMitr1
New Contributor I

yes, I read the release notes, seeing is believing...but I got to get home first

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Wait.. that driver was posted on Oct 2nd (20 days before Robert_U's post) and I am not seeing this issue in the release notes.. Am I looking for the wrong thing?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks so much for the info, will check it out later today.

0 Kudos
RMitr1
New Contributor I

Well Robert did say that the issue was addressed in a driver that is in the process of validation. It might well be this one, let's just wait another few hours, then I'll be able to see for myself.

Also note that a new new BIOS was posted for the DH77EB which contains, among other things, a newer VBIOS. This also might be going in the right direction wrt. 23p settings.

0 Kudos
NICHOLAS_F_Intel
Employee

This is not the driver that will contain the fix for the issue with HD channels and display corruption. That driver is still in the works.

Thanks,

-Nic

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

nic schrieb:

This is not the driver that will contain the fix for the issue with HD channels and display corruption. That driver is still in the works.

Thanks,

-Nic

Do you have any timeline for this ?

I have to decide wether to change to AMD based Mediacenter then

😞

😞

0 Kudos
RMitr1
New Contributor I

Too bad. Given the driver release frequency of ca. 3-4 months, I'll have to ask: will there be a beta or so available earlier? I can throw a lot of content anytime at it, and if that is required, provide more for testing to Intel.

@freaxx: Sandy bridge is OK, no need to go to AMD for that 🙂

0 Kudos
NICHOLAS_F_Intel
Employee

freaxx wrote:

nic schrieb:

Thanks,

-Nic

Do you have any timeline for this ?

I have to decide wether to change to AMD based Mediacenter then

😞

😞

Does my name actually show up as nic shrieb? Not even close...

We don't have a timeline on the next driver, it'll be up when it's ready though. There has been no mention of beta drivers at this time.

Thanks,

-Nic (maybe I'm nic shrieb now? is that German?)

0 Kudos
RMitr1
New Contributor I

-Nic (maybe I'm nic shrieb now? is that German?)

yes that's german and means 'nic wrote'

And yes, I can confirm, that this is non-HTPC driver, it adds IMO useless features like 4k support (which I strongly doubt is useable), as it doesn't fix the reported HD 1080i50 bug in any way. Like a Sports car with all carbon knobs and whistles, but with only 3 wheels.

Let's wait another 3-4 months

0 Kudos
MSchm21
Valued Contributor I

Build 2867 was created 3-4 weeks ago, no surprise it's not the driver Robert_U referred to.

0 Kudos
RMitr1
New Contributor I

The issue is known since June/July acknowledged in Aug., so there were chances...

Anyway, It's only 6 months after release, typically it takes a year to fix such things....

0 Kudos
RMitr1
New Contributor I

Todays latest drivers 2875 don't fix this issue.

I have updated the OP back from June 2012.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Any word about a fix?

I have a Samsung series 9 (900X4C-A01), with an i7 3517U with HD 4000, running Win7 x64. I bought an Avermedia A827M Hybrid USB dongle, and have the same flickering problem in live TV.

I've since installed the latest drive (2875), tried using both Windows Media Center and Avermedia's AverTV, and I see flickering in both.

0 Kudos
RMitr1
New Contributor I

Last word about a fix was from nic on Oct 24: the driver is still in the works

Guys, I don't see a 'quote' button on this forum. Am I blind? I thought there used to be one.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

What sort of flickering are you talking about? Is it still the 50hz issue, or just a general subtle flicker during any TV program? There was some setting I turned off in the Intel control panel like "skin tone optimization" or something along those lines that made the latter go away.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

It's the latter, because I've never noticed any flicker with video (other than live TV).

I did try to see if I could fix it by disconnecting any setting remotely related to video, but nothing worked. That includes the skin tone optimization thing.

0 Kudos
RMitr1
New Contributor I

In post # 35 of this thread I posted a link to test files. You might want to give them a try.

0 Kudos