Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20709 Discussions

Latest Version of Graphic Media Accelerator 3600 Series is not compatible with Windows 10

AWied
Beginner

Today I've got the message from the windows 10 app gwx.exe my Graphic Media Accelerator 3600 Series version 8.14.8.1096 (Date 10/23/2013) does not fulfill the specifications to get the update to windows 10. My system is a Lenovo S110 with Windows 7 Starter Service Pack 1. I contacted already Lenovo support but they said I have to ask Microsoft. Microsoft said it is the manufacturer (Lenovo? Intel?) who has to provide the latest driver. Does someone also got this problem and does someone have any idea what to do?

Andreas!
31 Replies
DPokr1
Novice

Hi Allan, according to http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/intelgma3600/sb/CS-034806.htm Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 3600 Series — Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 3600 Series FAQ "Intel® Atom™ processor based devices (based on Clover Trail tablets) are designed to support an optimized touch OS like Windows 8" and by http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-034343.htm?wapkw=cs-034343 Graphics Drivers — Supported Operating Systems Z2700 Atom chips support Windows 8/8.1 but 7. And indeed, we have a driver ver. 9.14.3.1177, which works fine with Windows 8.1, but have some issues with Windows 10. Could we expect an updated graphics driver for Z2700 Atom series processors to fully support Windows 10?

Regards, Dmitry

0 Kudos
CGonz9
Novice

Hi Dimitri,

I am under Windows 10 on my Z2760 system with driver version 9.14.3.1177 and I can confirm that this driver is compatible and works perfectly under Windows 10. Got hardware acceleration, can adjust brightness, use external monitors and all running very smoothly without a single error.

0 Kudos
DNava2
Beginner

I can't believe it.

I suppose you are wrong and Intel will release soon an updated driver, this is the worst notice I read about Intel and honestly, I can't understand how can Intel forgot millions of users.

Are you pushing customers to buy products of competitors???

0 Kudos
JMitc9
Beginner

Intel you better make a driver I know it works because I had Windows 10 on an Asus VivoTab Smart and it worked until Build 10047 of Windows 10 tech preview came out. There are millions of tablets and PC's with this Graphics media accelerator on their devices and if you leave us behind you guys suck. I have been a loyal Intel buyer for years. This is putting a bad reputation on you guys.

0 Kudos
DPokr1
Novice

BTW, this is what on Windows Update for now:

Earlier there were only records for "Windows 8" and "Windows 8.1 and later drivers" for the driver of that version. Though, the content of them is almost identical (but INF and CAT files).

The driver version 9.14.3.1168 is now for Windows 10 as well (according to WU).

0 Kudos
SWhit8
Beginner

dpokrovsky This is the same version I'm running. Do you have the graphical issues I'm describing? Missing UI elements on modern apps?

0 Kudos
DPokr1
Novice

swhitmore, unfortunatelly I had not a chance to upgrade my Asus VivoTab Smart (ME400CL) yet. So while in waiting for a such opportunity (some spare time, to be precise) I'm looking for updated drivers. In mean time - did you try to do a clean install after the upgrade (and apply drivers pack afterwards)? Did you try to update the driver from Windows Update?

UPDATE: I did upgrade Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 on my VivoTab Smart (ME400CL). Yes, with the latest drivers I have the same visual issues, but they can be fixed to some degree by setting DPI to 125%. Not completely, of course - there are still glitches with Universal MS Office rendering, missing text here and there, tiles sometimes getting blank, losing input focus from foreground and overall not-so-snappy experience. But nevertheless setting higher DPI makes Windows 10 on Z2760 somewhat usable.

0 Kudos
OLóšk
Beginner

Hello,

You have found a way to install the driver on Windows 10?

0 Kudos
GKuda
Beginner

I have several Motion computing CL900 and CL910. I had no problems manually installing Win 10 using an earlier version of windows, but going to install windows 10 now, I am getting an error message. Its really kinda ridiculous because I had installed it before on a CL910. Now, going to install Win 10 as an upgrade from Win 7, I get the error message it can't be installed. What is going on?????

0 Kudos
AMarc17
Beginner

Hello Everyone,

Well, there doesn't seem to be any help from either Microsoft or intel, and only few days left for the free upgrade period. I think it is a good idea for everyone with incompatible display driver to disable it, do the upgrade and then go back to your original operating system. This way your machine will have a valid Windows 10 key, and you can upgrade for free any time in the future in case a display driver is provided.

I thought to share my experience of upgrading to windows 10 and back. I have a netbook Acer Aspire One D270 with Intel Atom N2600 CPU and windows 7 Ultimate. First I saved a complete backup and system image on an external drive just in case. Then, I disabled the GMA 3600 adapter in device manager and did an in-place upgrade by downloading and running the upgrade assistant from Microsoft https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 Click the Upgrade now button to begin the upgrade . The process was pretty much straight forward, just follow simple pressing "OK button", but quite lengthy. It took almost 4-5 hours for the whole process to complete and launch Windows 10 welcome screen. You will be given the option to select few settings so you can select them or just choose express settings since you will be going back anyways.

I have Windows 10 on other computers so I'm quite familiar with it, but I spent few hours checking it on the little machine. It ran pretty well actually better than Windows 7, but naturally the big drawback was the poor display resolution and some related features. The brightness control didn't work and the sleep option in power was missing. Other than that everything else worked well, but I believe it is not worth it to keep Windows 10 with an inferior display. Although I have a month but I decided to go back after one day. To do this is very easy, just go to Settings> Update & Security > Recovery > Go back to Windows 7, and confirm a number of times.

Going back to Windows 7 was much easier than I thought. It took probably less than 30 minutes and I was back in Windows 7 the same way I left it. I enabled the GMA 3600 adaptor and restarted, and could immediately see the huge difference in display. Everything was fine except for one problem, I could not run the backup or system image creation and they were giving missing libraries and corrupt catalog errors. Initially I was very disappointed and worried but after some little search I found the solution was very easy. Go to file manager and right click on libraries and restore defaults. Also when you run system image creation it will give you an error of corrupted catalog and ask you to delete it and create new one, just ok and it will be as good as new.

I hope the above will be helpful in case you decide to do the upgrade!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

It's good for those who have been able to get the drivers, but it would be even better for all of us if they made a version for us with N2xxx processors

0 Kudos