Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20621 Discussions

Manually allocating graphics memory

JYoo5
Beginner

Hi, I'm currently running on a Lenovo Thinkpad E530 (contains Intel HD graphics 4000) and I wanted to know why my graphics properties panel is telling me that I have 64 MB of dedicated video memory when I have a total graphics memory of 1696 MB. I know about DVTM, but when I run a video game that requires at least 152 MB of dedicated memory, my framerate gets brutally murdered (it's definitely not because of my other specs because my processor runs at 2.5 GHz and I have 5.8 GB usable RAM). If DVTM exists on my computer, why won't it allocate 152 MB of dedicated memory, or even more, to the video game? I've read that DVTM works with video games too, but I'm running Minecraft and I get an average framerate of 12 FPS. Also, I've tried the BIOS settings, but I've searched every setting possible and there's nothing that lets me choose how much dedicated memory I'm getting.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DArce
Valued Contributor III

DVMT (Dynamic Video Memory Technology) dynamically allocates the memory to the video controller depending on what is detected and available, so its not dedicated.

In the other hand, concerning the low fps on Minecraft, you might be experiencing the issue that is being worked on this other thread:

/thread/42832 http://communities.intel.com/thread/42832

You can try the recommendations provided there as a workaround for your system.