Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
21070 Discussions

Mini-Displayport to VGA converter problem with Win8.1 Pro and HD Graphics 4400

JDegr1
Beginner

To connect my Dell Latitude E7440 to a beamer, I use a Mini-Displayport to VGA converter from Dell. It works for some beamers so the cable is probably not broken. However, some other beamers are not detected correctly (no image, nothing) and all display related control panels (Windows resolution control panel and Intel HD graphics control panel) freeze completely.

So, the laptop detects that there is something connected to it, but it does not manage to communicate with these beamers correctly. Many other laptops manage to connect to these beamers with which I have problems now, so the beamers are not the problem.

Configuration: Windows 8.1 Pro, Intel Core i7 with Intel HD Graphics 4400. Latest Windows Update, Dell updates and Intel drivers installed (and reinstalled, version verified with Intel driver update utility). So updating drivers not possible.

I tried setting the resolution of the built-in screen to 800x600 before connecting to the beamers, but to no avail.

Suggestions welcome, because the doubt that the beamer will work or not is really a deal breaker for an ultrabook and mobility... Thanks in advance.

Joris

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

I am sorry to hear that have had issues connecting a beamer through Intel graphics.

I understand that mini display port to VGA adapter might work for your system, but you need to check compatibility with Dell support. Intel does validate Display port to VGA dongles however; the compatibility depends on Dell's product. Your computer manufacturer can often provide a list of dongles that have been tested with your computer model.

Please make sure you have updated computer BIOS, latest Intel generic video drivers as this will interact with graphics video BIOS.

Please filter by operating system and try to install the driver when it finishes downloading, to verify that your system will accept it.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Graphics&ProductLine=Laptop+graphics+drivers&ProductProduct=4th+Generation+Intel%C2%AE+Core%E2%84%A2+Processors+with+Intel%C2%AE+HD+Graphics+4400&ProdId=3719&LineId=1101&FamilyId=39 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Graphics&ProductLine=Laptop+graphics+drivers&ProductProduct=4th+Generation+Intel%C2%AE+Core%E2%84%A2+Processors+with+Intel%C2%AE+HD+Graphics+4400&ProdId=3719&LineId=1101&FamilyId=39

Additional information about Multi Monitor support:

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-033418.htm http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-033418.htm

Allan.

0 Kudos
JDegr1
Beginner

Thank you for your reply.

The mini-Displayport to VGA dongle has the Dell label on it and was suggested by Dell specifically for my Dell laptop, so I already have the dongle provided by the manufacturer.

As mentioned before, I have the latest Dell updates for the BIOS and the latest Intel drivers.

In my office, I use a docking station with two screens attached to it and that works fine. Only some beamers using mini-Displayport to VGA are a problem.

Joris

0 Kudos
EJaha
Beginner

Hi,

I have the same hardware, running Win 7, updated all the Intel and Dell drivers, and facing the very same problem when I want to connect a Dell monitor.

I guess the Graphic Card does not recognize the mini DisplayPort as an output.

Right-click on desktop > Graphic Options > Output To >

The secondary monitor connected via the mini DisplayPort-VGA adapter does not show up.

The monitor is OK, I can connect it using a docking station.

There may one of these three reasons:

1- Graphic card driver software needs an upgrade (I have the latest version now)

2- min DisplayPort needs an driver software

3- mini Display-VGA adapter (from Dell) is not working

Esmaeil

0 Kudos