Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20833 Discussions

Monitor flickering at start-up and in BIOS with Arc A580 and double monitor setup

MattJP
Beginner

Hi,

As per the title, I have recently purchased and installed an A580 graphics card and ever since I started using it, the main monitor of my dual-monitor setup flickers on and off during startup and when in BIOS. (main monitor being connected to the HDMI port and the secondary one being connected to the Display Port)

I have gone through a fresh driver install several times using DDU and made sure that I have the latest drivers installed, however that hasn't solved the issue.

I then have tried booting the system with only the main monitor connected (still through HDMI port), and in this case the flickering issue stopped appearing.

Please let me know if there is anything that I can do to avoid this issue without having to disconnect the secondary monitor whenever I need to enter the BIOS, thanks.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello MattJP,

Thank you for posting in Intel Communities.

Is the issue also present after you log into Windows? Have you tried following the steps from the link below?

Black and Flickering Screen with Intel® Arc™ Graphics Drivers

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000095063/graphics.html

Should the same issue occur, please provide a System Support Utility (SSU) log of your system. This will allow us to check your system details and configuration. Kindly refer to the instructions below on how to extract the SSU logs.

How to get the Intel® System Support Utility Logs on Windows*

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057926/memory-and-storage.html

Awaiting your reply.

Best regards,

Caguicla C.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
MattJP
Beginner

Hi Caguicla,

Thank you for looking into this. I read the first link you provided and here's the troubleshooting steps that I've take:

• Install the latest Intel® Arc™ & Iris® Xe Graphics - Windows* drivers
    • Done
  • Check if the issue occurs with other Display and HDMI ports
    • Yes. I have 2 monitors which I switched around for testing purposes and the problem persists regardless of which monitor is hooked up to which port
  • If it occurs on all ports, check the DP cable and potentially the monitor itself, as this can indicate that the DP input is faulty
    • As per above, I tested with more than 1 monitor and the issue persists, hence it's not a faulty monitor or cable issue
  • Make sure the cable is plugged in securely.
    • Done
  • Perform a clean installation of Windows*. (Backup personal data before re-installation.)
    • I haven't attempted doing this and I'd rather avoid this step since my system was working fine until I switched from my old graphics card to the A580
  • If on a multi-monitor setup, connect one monitor and check if the issue persists.
    • Done, as highlighted in my original message, the issue is present ONLY when both monitors are connected. When running single monitor, the issue doesn't appear
  • If the issue can be observed in BIOS, test the card on another system to eliminate the possibility of hardware failure.
    • The issue can ONLY be observed in BIOS and at start-up, and not in Windows, and ONLY when I have the second monitor hooked up, otherwise the card works just fine with only one monitor.

I am attaching the SSU Log file of my system for your checking, thank you.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hi MattJP,

Thanks for your detailed response.

We will conduct a further review of this matter. An update will be provided as soon as it becomes available.

Best regards,

Caguicla C.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello MattJP,

Thank you for your patience.

We raised this concern internally. To thoroughly investigate and pinpoint the underlying issue, we need to collect more details from you:

1. Are the connections being made directly using HDMI to HDMI and DP to DP cables without any adapters?

2. Is there any use of a video converter or adapter in the current setup for the video connections?

3. Does the problem present itself only when both video outputs from the arc graphics card are in use?

4. For diagnostic purposes, could you try connecting one monitor to the integrated graphics port on the motherboard and the other to the discrete arc graphics card?

5. Could you please share the brand, model, and wattage of the power supply unit?

6. Lastly, may we have the details of the monitors, specifically the brand and model?

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Best regards,

Caguicla C.

0 Kudos
MattJP
Beginner

Hi Caguicla,

Here are my answers:

1. Are the connections being made directly using HDMI to HDMI and DP to DP cables without any adapters?
I am using a DP to HDMI adapter for one of the monitors since the card only has 1 HDMI output and both my monitors cannot be connected via DP

2. Is there any use of a video converter or adapter in the current setup for the video connections?
Yes, as explained above

3. Does the problem present itself only when both video outputs from the arc graphics card are in use?
Yes

4. For diagnostic purposes, could you try connecting one monitor to the integrated graphics port on the motherboard and the other to the discrete arc graphics card?

I did, nothing comes out from the HDMI port on the motherboard. I think that is reserved in the case that the CPU uses onboard graphics, which my CPU doesn't have and would not be using anyway as long as there is an external GPU plugged in

5. Could you please share the brand, model, and wattage of the power supply unit?
G Series 650 SSR-650RM

6. Lastly, may we have the details of the monitors, specifically the brand and model?
Looking at Windows Advanced display settings, I see one is an ASUS monitor called VG245. The other one is called FR2401W, it's a no brand monitor of unknown origins that I bought second-hand

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hi MattJP,

Thanks for your response.

I'll forward your feedback to our team and we'll continue investigating this issue. We will get back to you as soon as possible.

Thank you for your kind patience.

Best regards,

Caguicla C.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello MattJP,

We have taken note of the specifications for the VG245 and FR2401W monitors you are using.

• VG245: Equipped with 1 DisplayPort, 2 HDMI ports, and 1 VGA port.

• FR2401W: Comes with 1 DVI port, 1 HDMI port, and 1 VGA port.

To assist you more effectively, we would appreciate it if you could provide us with the following information:

1. Could you please specify the brand and model of the adapter you are currently using?
  2. To effectively identify the root cause of the issue, it would be beneficial to consider connecting the ASUS VG245 monitor using a direct DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable. Concurrently, the FR2401W monitor could be connected via an HDMI cable. This methodical approach will help us isolate and address the concern more precisely.
  3. Can you confirm the OEM of your graphics card? Is it Asrock, Sparkle, or Gunnir?

This information will greatly assist us in diagnosing and resolving the issue more efficiently. 

Thank you for your cooperation, and we look forward to your prompt response.

Best regards,

Caguicla C.

0 Kudos
MattJP
Beginner

Hi Caguicla,

Please see below:

1. Could you please specify the brand and model of the adapter you are currently using?

A: This is the product page where I bought it: 4K DisplayPort TO HDMI-Compatible อะแดปเตอร์ตัวผู้ DP เป็น HDMI ตัวเมียสายแปลงสัญญาณเสียงวิดีโอสำหรับ PC HDTV โปรเจคเตอร์ | Lazada.co.th

2. To effectively identify the root cause of the issue, it would be beneficial to consider connecting the ASUS VG245 monitor using a direct DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable. Concurrently, the FR2401W monitor could be connected via an HDMI cable. This methodical approach will help us isolate and address the concern more precisely.

A: as mentioned in the previous comment, my monitor does not have DisplayPort. you can refer to the manual, as you can see there are different versions with different ports, of which only one is equipped with DisplayPort. Unfortunately, the version I have only has 2 HMDI ports

MattJP_0-1717305390647.pngMattJP_1-1717305407684.png

3. Can you confirm the OEM of your graphics card? Is it Asrock, Sparkle, or Gunnir?

A: it is neither. it's a KUROUTOSHIKOU (玄人志向), a Japanese graphic card manufacturer, though I think it's using a Sparkle board based on info I can see from Furmark 2. GPU-Z doesn't actually tell me the brand

MattJP_2-1717305769335.png

MattJP_3-1717305814886.png

0 Kudos
Gerdsd
Beginner
المشكلة اعتقد هنا بعد تسجيل الدخول
0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello MattJP,

Thank you for your reply.

Please give us some time to check this again internally. We will give you an update as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Caguicla C.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello MattJP,

Thank you for your patience.

I am reaching out to address a few technical concerns regarding the monitor setup we have discussed. Your assistance in clarifying the following points would be greatly appreciated:

1. Was the flickering issue present right out of the box (OOTB)?

2. Have both the Windows operating system and the BIOS been updated to their latest versions?

3. Has there been an attempt to reset the BIOS to its default settings to see if the issue persists?

4. For confirmation, are the monitor to GPU connections as follows?

• Asus VG245: 2 HDMI, 1 VGA - connected via a DP to HDMI adapter (DP end to GPU, HDMI end to monitor)

• FR2401W: 1 DVI port, 1 HDMI port, 1 VGA port - connected using an HDMI cable to both GPU and monitor

5. Regardless of which monitor is connected via HDMI, is it consistently the one experiencing flickering, as opposed to the monitor connected via the DP to HDMI adapter?

6. Can you test connecting the Asus VG245 to the GPU using both HDMI ports of the monitor via direct HDMI and via the DP-HDMI adapter to simulate a dual monitor but on just a single monitor and observe if there is flickering when you switch from one screen to another on the same monitor and at BIOS or start-up? This is to further isolate if there are any issues with either monitor.

Your prompt response will help us diagnose and resolve the issue more efficiently. Thank you for your cooperation and support.

Best regards,

Caguicla C.

0 Kudos
MattJP
Beginner

Hi Caguicla,

Please see my answers below:

1. Was the flickering issue present right out of the box (OOTB)?

Yes, from the very first use

2. Have both the Windows operating system and the BIOS been updated to their latest versions?

Yes, the latest Windows update was installed in May

MattJP_0-1717835923872.png

and the BIOS is updated to the latest version F52 from GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI (rev. 1.0) Support | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global

3. Has there been an attempt to reset the BIOS to its default settings to see if the issue persists?

No, I haven't tried to reset the BIOS

4. For confirmation, are the monitor to GPU connections as follows?

• Asus VG245: 2 HDMI, 1 VGA - connected via a DP to HDMI adapter (DP end to GPU, HDMI end to monitor)

• FR2401W: 1 DVI port, 1 HDMI port, 1 VGA port - connected using an HDMI cable to both GPU and monitor

No, I have the ASUS connected HDMI to HDMI and the FR2401W connected via a DP to HDMI adapter

5. Regardless of which monitor is connected via HDMI, is it consistently the one experiencing flickering, as opposed to the monitor connected via the DP to HDMI adapter?

No, it seems that the issue of the monitor turning itself off (due to apparent loss of signal from the GPU) only happens to the ASUS, when it's connected directly via HDMI to the GPU, therefore when the BIOS sees it as the main monitor, and when the secondary monitor is connected. If I swap ports to have the FR2401W directly connected via HDMI instead (therefore making it the main monitor when inside the BIOS), and connect the ASUS via DP adapter, the FR2401W monitor does not experience the apparent loss of signal and therefore stays on normally. What's really strange is that the ASUS does not experience the issue, however, when this is the ONLY monitor connected (via HDMI port), despite the fact that even in a dual monitor configuration the secondary monitor stays off anyway when in BIOS, since there is no signal sent to the secondary monitor when the BIOS is running. It's strange because when in BIOS only one monitor (the one attached to HDMI port on the GPU) gets the signal, while the other one doesn't and stays off, therefore I would assume that it shouldn't really matter whether another monitor is hooked up or not since it's not getting any signal anyway, when inside the BIOS.

6. Can you test connecting the Asus VG245 to the GPU using both HDMI ports of the monitor via direct HDMI and via the DP-HDMI adapter to simulate a dual monitor but on just a single monitor and observe if there is flickering when you switch from one screen to another on the same monitor and at BIOS or start-up? This is to further isolate if there are any issues with either monitor.

Tested, if I connect the ASUS via its 2 HDMI ports to the GPU, the monitor doesn't experience any on/off issues when in BIOS. I logged into Windows and confirmed by switching the input on the ASUS that the monitor is receiving both signals properly.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hi MattJP,

Thank you for your reply.

I'll continue to investigate this with our team. We'll give you an update as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Caguicla C.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hi MattJP,

I understand that you have not yet had the opportunity to reset the BIOS on your system. Our engineer has recommended this as a potential solution to the issue you are experiencing. Resetting the BIOS to its default settings can often resolve unexpected system behavior and is a crucial step in our troubleshooting process. Please inform us about the outcome after you have completed this step.

Best regards,

Caguicla C.

0 Kudos