Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20603 Discussions

Monitor on discrete Intel graphics doesn't display with two monitors on a Nvidia card

RR4
Beginner

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

When the HDMI and VGA ports on the Nvidia card occupied, the VGA port connecting to the discrete Intel graphics doesn't seem to work at all (from boot and from plugging it in while the computer is on).

Does it fail every single time, or only sometimes?

If you can offer a % rate please do.

I've tried reproducing it 10-15 times and it has failed in all cases, so yes.

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Dell XPS

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

System has an i7-3770 and a Geforce GT 620

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below). 

LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)

EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

All three are 1920x1080 and EFPs. I'm pretty sure they all have a 60Hz refresh rate.

<span style="font-weight: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-size: 10pt; font-family: Aria...

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Hello Aquilen,

Whenever you add a graphics card to the motherboard it will disable the graphics provided by the processor unless you have a feature in the BIOS that can provide you to choose between them. That is the reason why you get video from the graphics card and you get nothing from the Intel graphics, note the picture below;

For further reference http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-031040.htm Graphics Drivers — Multiple Displays Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ).

Regards,

Amy.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Hello Aquilen,

Whenever you add a graphics card to the motherboard it will disable the graphics provided by the processor unless you have a feature in the BIOS that can provide you to choose between them. That is the reason why you get video from the graphics card and you get nothing from the Intel graphics, note the picture below;

For further reference http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-031040.htm Graphics Drivers — Multiple Displays Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ).

Regards,

Amy.

RR4
Beginner

Oh, I didn't know that before, thanks!

I do have a few more questions though. Did my accidental workaround damage my system (I assume there's some reason why the discrete graphics would be disabled)? And why did the Intel graphics decide to disable now, with three monitors, when before I had a monitor on the Nvidia card and a monitor on Intel graphics and both worked?

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Did my accidental workaround damage my system (I assume there's some reason why the discrete graphics would be disabled)?

From your description I would say no, if you take out the graphics card you should be able to get video from the Intel graphics just make sure that in your BIOS configuration the Intel graphics are set as primary.

Why did the Intel graphics decide to disable now, with three monitors, when before I had a monitor on the Nvidia card and a monitor on Intel graphics and both worked?

I'm not positive about this behavior like mentioned before when you add the graphics card it will automatically disable the Intel graphics. I would recommend to check with Dell about switchable graphics in your motherboard.

For further reference: http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-033714.htm Graphics Drivers — Configuration 3-Displays FAQ.

0 Kudos