Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20622 Discussions

My Vram won't change

HBoub
Beginner

I have an HP probook 640 G1 with an Intel core i5-4300m and HD graphics 4600

i want to increase my Vram which is fixed on 128mb

i tried by the bios settings and it didn't work

what's the solution plz ?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

If you are running Windows, then these BIOS parameters apply only while the BIOS is running. Once Windows is booted, the Intel HD Graphics driver will manage the graphic memory assignment dynamically, increasing and decreasing the allotment as necessary (to a maximum of 50% of available memory) based upon current requirements.

Let me ask: why do you want to increase the VRAM? Doing so will NOT improve graphics performance, nor will it make any difference to gaming performance. If you have an old game that will not start, saying that there is not enough VRAM, then this is a bug in the game and you need to talk to the game developers and get a fix.

Hope this explains it,

...S

0 Kudos
ABaxe
Beginner

[quote]

...then these BIOS parameters apply only while the BIOS is running. Once Windows is booted, the Intel HD Graphics driver will manage the graphic memory assignment dynamically...

[unquote]

In this case, what is this BIOS setting useful for ?

(just an honest question, to improve my understanding).

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

In most cases, nothing. It may be that only the Windows 10 driver ignores it.

BTW, I received a PM yesterday indicating that there is a way to increase the minimum amount dedicated by the driver within Windows 10. I haven't tried using this, so I don't know if it works; give it a try it and see. In the Registry Editor, browse to key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Intel\GMM and set Value DedicatedSegmentSize to the KByte size desired (use 32, 64, 128, 256 or 512). Create this key and Value if necessary. DedicatedSegmentSize is a 32-Bit DWORD with decimal base.

...S

0 Kudos
ABaxe
Beginner

thnx Scott

0 Kudos