Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20709 Discussions

My color depth can't be set to 8 bits

Andrey666
Beginner

My color depth can't be set to 8 bits, installed latest drivers on intel uhd 730 and monitor drivers. My monitor supports 8-bit color depth. "

0 Kudos
32 Replies
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Andrey666, 

In order to continue further, I would like to confirm the following:

1. Was the configuration (8-bits) working before with the same monitor (Asus)? If so, did it change after a driver update, OS? Bear in mind that the color depth will be set as per the operating system configuration

2. Have you tried version 30.0.100.9805?

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19344/intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers.html

3. Also, This can be caused by a hardware limitation in the monitor. Check with the monitor manufacturer to see if the monitor supports 8-bit or higher color depths and not 6-bit with Frame Rate Control (FRC) or dithering techniques.

Regards,    

Deivid A. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
Andrey666
Beginner

1. When this monitor was connected to a laptop (Acer ASPIRE E5-571G-52Q4) via VGA, the color depth was 8 bits and 60 hertz. When I connect this monitor to my computer the color depth always changes to 6 bit when I install the intel uhd graphics driver. My operating system is Windows 10 21h1 64.

2. yes, the color depth has not changed (always 6 bits after installing any uhd graphics drivers)

3. yes: https://www.cnet.com/products/asus-ve228d-led-monitor-full-hd-1080p-21-5/

p.s. I am almost 100% sure that the problem is in the intel uhd graphics driver which somehow reduce the color depth on the monitor.

0 Kudos
Andrey666
Beginner

intel hd 5500 (laptop) - my monitor 8 bit, 60 hertz
intel uhd 730 - my monitor 6 bit, 60 hertz

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Andrey666, 

Thanks for the information provided, I will proceed with the research and let you know about any updates as soon as possible.  

Regards,    

Deivid A. 

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Andrey666, 

Based on the research performed, the processor/graphics support an 8-bit configuration. However, there might be some limitations in the overall system configuration and my recommendation is to test a different display, or a different type of connection (since it may not work via VGA).

Also, you can check with the motherboard and display manufacturer for further instructions. 

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
Andrey666
Beginner

what can be the limitations in my system? the processor, RAM, motherboard are new. on my laptop monitor was connected via VGA with 8 bit color depth and 60 hertz. on the computer always after installing the graphics driver intel color depth changes from 8 bit to 6 bit. does not seem to be limitations.

I think the monitor and motherboard are not to blame for this.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Andrey666, 

I understand the situation and based on your last post I would like to check the issue further. To be able to do it I will need the following:

- Provide a report from the Intel® System Support Utility using the laptop that you mentioned.

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18377/25293/intel-system-support-utility-for-windows.html?countrylabel=Asia%2520Pacific

Bear in mind that the Laptop may allow 8-bits via VGA but the motherboard may not allow the same configuration with the latest drivers, that is why we recommended checking with them for further details.

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

0 Kudos
Andrey666
Beginner

report from the Intel® System Support Utility:

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Andrey666, 

Were you able to check the previous post? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Andrey666, 

Thanks for the report, I will check this internally once more and let you know about any details as soon as possible.

Regards,    

Deivid A. 

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Andrey666, 

I would like to let you know that based on the report from the Intel® Graphics Command Center the motherboard is using an internal chip to convert from DP (digital) to VGA (analog). Bear in mind that Intel does not longer support VGA natively since 6th gen processors.

Also, We have tested our latest drivers with native video outputs (i.e. DP and HDMI) and monitors will be recognized correctly as 8-bit. I recommend you report this to the motherboard manufacturer to see if they can improve Display compatibility through the firmware update of the chip used to convert from DP to VGA.  

Regards,    

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
Andrey666
Beginner

I bought a vga to hdmi adapter and now I have 8-bit color.

0 Kudos