Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

"Intel UHD Graphics" driver causes black black screen freeze when moving video content plays

dgrrr
Beginner

A Dell Inspiron 7790 AIO, Win10 20H2 (build 19042) is freezing to a black screen (dark but faintly lit) when we play MP4 files, or view certain videos on youtube, or view other online (browser) based video players.

The graphics device is a "Intel UHD Graphics" card. The most recent driver version (the one on the DELL website, listed "urgent" (6/1/2021, v27.20.100.9664) is the WORST behaving one -- it crashes in the MOST contexts (any kind of animation on screen -- mp4 files, software installers, youtube links, animated thumbnails, anything moving whatever)

I tried this older version: 4/11/2020, 26.20.100.8141
And it's MUCH BETTER, but it still freezes on some content, e.g. this online video:
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/clips/guilt-s1-private-eye-kenny-burns/?subscriber=true&list_id=general

So far, if I just DISABLE the display device, everything still displays, and there are no freezes. (But I assume there will be downsides?)

As i said, the newest Dell driver is the misbehaving one. Then I tried to install the newest video driver from the INTEL website (as opposed to Dell) using Intel Driver Support Assistant tool, but it first said that the install failed, then the driver disappeared from the list of Intel Updates available. (?)

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @dgrrr

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to check this further, could you please provide us with the following details?

1- Is this a new system? Did the computer work fine before or are you experiencing this issue since the first day that you have the device?

2- If this worked fine before at any moment, were there any recent hardware or software changes that might relate to the point when the issue started? (for instance, Windows*, driver, BIOS, or software updates?). Is there any driver version that works fine with no issues at all?

3- Considering the behavior is worst using the customized drivers from Dell* which is supposed they have been tested and validated to work on your system model, have you checked this behavior with Dell* Support? If yes, could you please provide details?

4- Is this happening only with the built-in display or also if you test with an external display using a straight-through connection (e.g. HDMI-to-HDMI)?

5- When trying to review the link that you shared, we're getting a message saying that "the video is not available". Could you please provide more examples of the error/behavior? Perhaps you may record a short video or pictures and upload them to this thread?

6- Please provide specific examples of the browsers (e.g Edge*, Chrome*, Firefox*), video players, and apps that experience this behavior.

7- Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.
  • Once you have saved the file (.txt file), please attach it to your reply.

To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" option below the response textbox.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello dgrrr

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance. Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello dgrrr

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
dgrrr
Beginner

Really?  That quick?  Literally the day I get back on site you close the thread.  So sure, let's junk up your forum with a BRAND NEW SEPARATE THREAD!  Here we go...

0 Kudos