Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
21070 Discussions

N5110 no audio through HDMI

idata
Employee

I can get video output through my HDMI port on my N5110 but not audio. A very thorough online search discovered that others have had this problem, but I saw no real solution for my situation. Some have suggested going to Hardware and Sound > Playback and selecting an entry that says Digital Audio (HDMI). That's quite reasonable but unfortunately such an entry does not appear. I right-clicked in that tab and both "Show Disabled Devices" and "Show Disconnected Devices" are checked.

I have a Dell 15R N5110 with an Intel HD Graphics 3000 display adapter integrated in the i3-2350 CPU chip. Under "Sound, video and game controllers" it shows IDT High Definition Audio CODEC and Intel Display Audio. I updated the driver for the display adapter from the Intel website to the latest one available (Version 9.17.10.4101, 1/30/2015). I used Windows 7 to search for driver updates for the other two devices and got the message that the drivers were up to date. The problem remains.

According to the Intel site, the version of the driver for the display adapter works with Windows 8, but I assume it is backward compatible with Windows 7. Nevertheless, I went ahead and installed an older version of the driver (8.15.10.2361) from the Dell website. Intel says this version number is for Windows 7 drivers. This didn't change anything that I already noted above.

An Intel webpage about this problem, "No Audio Through My HDMI Cable," (http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-030039.htm?wapkw=intel+display+audio+windows+7 http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-030039.htm?wapkw=intel+display+audio+windows+7), that says it applies to "2nd Generation Intel® Core™ Processors with Intel® HD Graphics 3000/2000" displays a screen shot of the Playback tab of the Sound control panel that includes entries for Digital Audio (HDMI). The fact that such entries do not appear in my computer makes me wonder whether there is something unique to Dell's N5110 (and perhaps other models) that will not permit audio through HDMI.

Before posting this, I tried an online chat with an Intel graphics rep. No luck there. He just reminded me that computer makers design their products with their own features, settings, and capabilities, and that I should contact Dell. I'm out of warranty, and it would cost me to talk with a Dell support person. I'd do it, but I've not had very good luck with them before, so I don't want to waste my money.

I eagerly await any thoughts or suggestions you might have about any of this.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Hello Larryjb, thanks for joining the Graphics Community.

The information given by the agent by chat is totally correct. We always recommend customers to download and install the drivers provided by the system manufacture, since our drivers are generic drivers and sometimes these cannot be installed on other systems or the installation of them could overwrite their customizations and possibly change the functionality of the graphics.

It is important to know that Intel Graphics drivers are going to update the HDMI code only. It will be necessary to install or use the drivers provided by Dell to update the IDT

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Hello Larryjb, thanks for joining the Graphics Community.

The information given by the agent by chat is totally correct. We always recommend customers to download and install the drivers provided by the system manufacture, since our drivers are generic drivers and sometimes these cannot be installed on other systems or the installation of them could overwrite their customizations and possibly change the functionality of the graphics.

It is important to know that Intel Graphics drivers are going to update the HDMI code only. It will be necessary to install or use the drivers provided by Dell to update the IDT

idata
Employee

Hi Sylvia,

I appreciate your response and the information that Intel Graphics drivers update the HDMI code only. I downloaded the latest Dell driver for my laptop, and with help from the Dell Laptop Audio forum, have solved the problem.

Thanks,

Larryjb

0 Kudos
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

Excellent. Thanks for letting us know.

0 Kudos