Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20721 Discussions

NUC13AKNi7 Touchscreen Monitor has "No Signal"

Goldfinger
Novice

I have a NUC13AKNi7 mini PC.
I would like to use it with a monitor "Magedok Portable Monitor OLED 90hz,2.8K". Unfortunately, no matter if I connect HDMI or USB-C the display has "no signal". A 24 inch Asus monitor works perfectly. The Magedok monitor also works too when I connect it to my HP laptop via HDMI.
I have the latest BIOS and have tried to set the external monitor in the BIOS from Auto to HDMI or to Thunderbolt. It did not help. What is wrong?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Goldfinger
Novice

Yes, that is exactly the solution to “the puzzle”. The Magedok monitor does not support video transmission via USB-C. It can't be any different. Nowhere is this feature explicitly listed, but the “professional user reviews” very cleverly suggest this.
“The Type-C ports and a mini-HDMI port allow connection to most PCs, laptops, smartphones, Raspberry Pi's, PS4, XBOX ONE or Nintendo Switch, etc.” Well, I fell for it 😉 It would have been far too good to be true. 

Thanks again for your kind help! See you again at the next NUC 😉

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I don't have that particular portable monitor, but I do have two other portable monitors, a 2K and a 2.8K like yours, and they work just fine connected to my AN NUC. I tested both HDMI and using USB-C-to-HDMI adapter connections.

Hope this helps,

...S

Goldfinger
Novice

Thank you for your suggestion. I have ordered adapters and will try them out.

0 Kudos
Goldfinger
Novice

It is running! Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
Which specific dongle did you use?
...S
0 Kudos
Goldfinger
Novice

The problem appears in several places on the net. Intel also gives advice in this regard, for example

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000028023/intel-nuc/intel-nuc-kits.html

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
That's just one of Intel's generic troubleshooting pages, not anything specific to the AN NUCs, BTW.
While you have a workaround, your original issue (i.e. specific kind(s) of monitors not working on HDMI connectors) is still not resolved (@Intel_Support). Let's see if we can't narrow down the issue...
When you connect this monitor using the dongle that you purchased, are you using the same HDMI cable that wasn't working plugged directly into the HDMI port
When you have it plugged into the HDMI port (i.e. without dongle), is the monitor working while you are in BIOS POST? BIOS Setup (i.e. just not working in Windows)?
Even though it doesn't seem to work, does the monitor show up in the Windows Setup program's Monitor/Display scene? Is it there (only) as a ghost monitor? If you click on the Identify button, does this cause the monitor to start working? [Aside: don't expect it to.] Please get a DXDIAG report while it is in this state and attach to your response.
When you have it connected and working (with the dongle), please get a DXDIAG report for this state and attach it to your response.
That's enough questions to start,
...S
Goldfinger
Novice

I have just received a docking station for my NUC. It is connected to USB-C and has 2 HDMI outputs. Everything works perfectly with it.

After all that, it was to be expected.

"Don't ask what your computer can do for you, ask what you can do for your computer" 😉

0 Kudos
Goldfinger
Novice

> Let's see if we can't narrow down the issue...
- ok
> When you connect this monitor using the dongle that you purchased, are you using the same HDMI cable that wasn't working plugged directly into the HDMI port?
- Yes. In one case I extended the adapter with the same cable with which it did not work without adapter and now with adapter worked it.

> When you have it plugged into the HDMI port (i.e. without dongle), is the monitor working while you are in BIOS POST?
- No
> BIOS Setup (i.e. just not working in Windows)?
- The communication should already work during booting (BIOS). The error is not due to the driver or Windows.

> Even though it doesn't seem to work, does the monitor show up in the Windows Setup program's Monitor/Display scene?
- Yes, Madok is displayed there as an "inactive" monitor.

> Is it there (only) as a ghost monitor?
- Yes. Windows "sees it" but cannot communicate with it.

> If you click on the Identify button, does this cause the monitor to start working?
- No, does not.

> Please get a DXDIAG report while it is in this state and attach to your response.
- please download files here: nr700.de / NUC13_ANKi7.zip

- When you have it connected and working (with the dongle), please get a DXDIAG report for this state and attach it to your response.
- please download files here: nr700.de / NUC13_ANKi7.zip

I will use the following devices for the test:
- NUC13ANKi7
Monitors:
- Magedok Portable Monitor OLED 90hz
- LG Ultragear 27" GP950 4k Monitor
- Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" WQHD Monitor
Connection:
- 1 Original HDMI to HDMI cables from Magedock (orig. HDMI)
- 1 HDMI cables from meinem Bestand (HDMI)
- SOOMFON [4K@120Hz USB C to HDMI Adapter

NUC13ANKi7 HDMI 1 => with HDMI Kabel => ASUS ROG HDMI
Everything works perfectly with both HDMI cables
file: DXDIAG_01.txt

With the setup 2 has the ROG monitor to stay connected, otherwise I can't see anything.
But I move it to the second HDMI output

NUC13ANKi7 HDMI 2 => with HDMI Kabel => ASUS ROG HDMI
NUC13ANKi7 HDMI 1 => with orig HDMI Kabel => Magedok HDMI

Here Windows shows the Asus as "active" and the Magdok as "inactive".
Magdok Monitgor shows "No Signal".
Sreens:
Setup 2_Magdok.jpg
Setup 2_ROG.jpg
file: DXDIAG_02.txt

If I remove the Magdok monitor from the "HDMI 1 of the NUC" and connect it with the USB_C to HDMI Adapter to NUC USB-C 1,
then both monitors displayed Windows for a few seconds if Windows booting.
Then suddenly Magdok shows "No Signal" again and only Asus ROG remains active.

3. Asus ROG Monitor removed
NUC13ANKi7 USB-C 1 => with SOOMFON Dongle + orig HDMI Cables => Magedok HDMI
Everything works perfectly
file: DXDIAG_03.txt

4. Now comes the LG monitor, because it behaved similarly to Magdok.
NUC13ANKi7 USB-C 1 => with SOOMFON Dongle + orig HDMI Kabel => Magedok HDMI
NUC13ANKi7 HDMI 1 => with HDMI Kabel => LG HDMI
Windows shows both monitors as active Magdok works, but LG remains dark and has the postage "No Signal"
Screens:
Setup 4_LG.jpg
Setup 4_Magdok.jpg
file: DXDIAG_04.txt

NUC13ANKi7 USB-C 1 => with SOOMFON Dongle + orig HDMI Kabel => Magedok HDMI
NUC13ANKi7 USB-C 2 => with Amazon USB-C to HDMI Kabel => LG HDMI
Both monitors work perfectly.
file: DXDIAG_05.txt

please download files here: nr700.de / NUC13_ANKi7.zip

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Everything works - including the touchscreen feature? Is the touchscreen feature connected to the PC using a separate USB cable (which you have been connecting every time)?

I asked this because, in theory, you are supposed to connect this monitor via USB-C-to-USB-C cable in order to support both graphics (via Thunderbolt or USB-C DisplayPort Alt Mode) and touchscreen features. Connecting using DisplayPort or HDMI ports on this screen will only get you the graphics feature.

...S

Goldfinger
Novice

Yes, the USB-C touchscreen also works with an additional "USB-C go USB-C" cable.  But then you mast to use the second USB-C on the Magedok. The first USB-C is only for the power supply.
I tried it with the one "Thinkpad Nano Core i7-1370P". The Magedok (USB-C to USB-C) does not work as a monitor there either. Only with the adapter to HDMI. Basically, the Magedok does not work as a monitor via its USB-C port.

As a monitor (display) works it only via HDMI or via the mini-DP connection. I tried the mini-DP port with an "HP Z-Book Fury i9". The same applies to the mini-DP connection as for HDMI. However, no touchscreen works with either. This must always be connected with a "USB-C to USB-C" cable in addition to the HDMI or mini DP port.

However, the Magedok is also supplied with power via this USB-C port. So you don't have to connect 3 cables to have touchscreen functionality.

0 Kudos
Goldfinger
Novice

> Everything works......

No, the most important one is of course still not possible. Namely a USB-C to USB-C connection. Then the video signal, the touchscreen and also the power should work with this one connection. I think that this is an incompatibility problem of the transmission protocols and has to do with the 90 Hz frequency of the Magedok monitor.
However, I cannot prove this. All we know so far is a random trial and error of different connections.
I should know the specifications of the connections better, but I can't find anything further on this.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I am not sure what to suggest other than to contact Magedok and find out whether they support a DisplayPort channel via the USB-C connector. It would be a critical missing feature if they didn't.

...S

0 Kudos
Goldfinger
Novice

Yes, that is exactly the solution to “the puzzle”. The Magedok monitor does not support video transmission via USB-C. It can't be any different. Nowhere is this feature explicitly listed, but the “professional user reviews” very cleverly suggest this.
“The Type-C ports and a mini-HDMI port allow connection to most PCs, laptops, smartphones, Raspberry Pi's, PS4, XBOX ONE or Nintendo Switch, etc.” Well, I fell for it 😉 It would have been far too good to be true. 

Thanks again for your kind help! See you again at the next NUC 😉

0 Kudos