Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Need help with custom resolution

JJohn150
Beginner

Computer: HP Elitebook 840 G3

CPU: i7-6600U

GPU: Intel HD 520

I'm trying to run a 5120x1440 monitor and I only get a resolution of 3840x1440 (using a DP 1.4 cable). According to Dell's website, my graphics card is supported. https://www.dell.com/support/article/cn/en/cnbsd1/sln314416/dell-u4919dw-system-requirements-and-supported-configuration?lang=en.

I tried to make a customer resolution as suggested here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005540/graphics-drivers.html#.

I don't have CustomModeApp.exe on my computer.

Will solving the updating the driver work? I have a work computer that has certain protections in place. My current driver is 24.20.100.6226 (7/26/2018).

Please let me know if you have any questions. I really need help on this one. Thank you!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

First of all, you only have DisplayPort 1.2 support, so you are limited by what it can display. Still, this resolution should be possible. Secondly, you should not have to create a custom resolution. If the monitor is properly returning EDID data, then this information will be available. Third, is there a "driver" disk/file for the monitor that will preload all of the resolutions supported? Finally, that is an absolutely ancient driver release. Can you update to something newer? Uninstall the current driver package (from Apps & Features, not Device Manager) and then install the latest (26.20.100.7755, available here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29335/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers?product=88355). Note that, if the existing driver supported custom features for you laptop's hardware, you will not have these using the latest generic driver package from Intel.

Hope this helps,

...S

JJohn150
Beginner

Thank you very much, I will try downloading monitor drivers and report back. IT at my company basically cautioned me against updating the video card drivers because of the potential for not working with our software stack, but no one knows for sure if it will be an issue. Is there any way to mitigate the risk and prevent having to get desk side support if it's doesn't work out?

Seriously appreciate it!

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Other than creating a proper external backup that could be restored, there is really no way to mitigate the risk as far as I know.

...S

JJohn150
Beginner

Well, it looks like i figured it out. All i needed to do was plug the monitor straight into my computer rather than through a docking station (sorry if this was obvious). A few follow-up questions, (i) is there any work around this, so I can use my docking station? (ii) does this mean that I wouldn't be able to use a second monitor with this video card? (iii) will i run into to same issues when I eventually upgrade to a HP 840 G6 with an i7-8665U / Intel UHD Graphics 620 (which would have one DP 1.4 port, one thunderbolt, and one docking connector port) - would i able to use a usb-c and display port to have a 5120x1440 + another display?.

Thank you again for the help.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Sounds like a crappy dock. Have you tried reconnecting the monitor to the dock since? It may work the second time since a registration of the device with Windows now exists - but not if the dock is doing something stupid. What dock is it? In theory, the dock should be exposing the DP channel that was in the connection from the PC, just like the direct connection is doing.

...S

JJohn150
Beginner

Yes, I did try that - plugged into both DPs and restarted with plugged in. The dock is either this model or one very similar to it. https://www.amazon.com/HP-D9Y32AA-UltraSlim-Docking-Station/dp/B00GD7BA2Q. When i upgrade my computer I will get a usb-C docking station - the HP one (https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-thunderbolt-dock-120w-g2) is probably the easiest to get, but I'm open to whatever will get me to a 5120x1440 resolution screen + another 2k display. I guess im hoping a new computer will make these issues moot, I'll just have to wait a little bit.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Does the built-in display turn off (get disabled) when you plug the laptop into this dock? If so, then all three of the processor's display outputs could be routed to independent connectors on the dock. If not, then the three connectors on the dock share two of these outputs. Because of the Digital-to-Analog conversion necessary, the VGA connector typically does not share its output with other connectors. This means that the two DP connectors could be sharing one DP output (using a MST Hub in the dock). This could be problematic - in theory not an issue if you are plugging in only this monitor currently - but regardless, there is enough bandwidth in the one DP output for this monitor and your 2K monitor (Aside: but, if your 2K monitor is actually only 1080p, best to plug it into the VGA connector).

Ok, regardless of whether or not using the dock, this monitor should, in theory, be sitting alone on a DP output and thus treated exactly the same. It is unclear what this dock is doing to cause it to be treated differently.

...S

0 Kudos