Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20499 Discussions

Occasionally screen freeze after updated to the driver version 15.47.02.4815

HTan12
Beginner

I was having random screen freeze issue after updating intel graphic driver to latest version, 15.47.02.4815. Not a permanent freeze but would randomly freeze for 2-5 seconds which sometimes can be annoying. I have downgraded to an older version 15.46.05.4771 which works perfectly fine and instantly solved all the random screen freeze issue which came to a conclusion that I suspect there was some problem with the latest driver. I have tried to reinstall and clean reinstall the latest driver which still has the same problem.

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

Random screen freeze

Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")<p> 

Always (100%):

Often (51-99%):

Sporadic (20-50%): X

Very Sporadic (<20%):

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Lenovo Y520-15IKBN

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

Switchable graphic System(Nvidia Optimus)

NVidia GTX 1050 (notebook)

Intel HD graphic 630

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below). 

LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)

EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

EFP, BenQ GW2270H

<td style="padding: 0 5.4pt; border-top: none; border-ri...
0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello hamato

Thank you for contacting the Intel Communities. I understand you would like to get the system working as it was before with the latest graphics driver.

We can certainly check on this matter and look for a possible solution or reasoning of why this is happening.

The data provided was really helpful and it is much appreciated you took the time to collect it!

Some other questions I would like to ask about this scenario:

• When is the problem happening? Is it while using a program?
  • Does it happen while the system is idling? (just showing the desktop, no programs opened)
  • Do you have any sort of adapter or docking station included in this configuration?
  • Have you tried to do a factory reset on the monitor?

Something that can be done as troubleshooting:

• Remove the monitor's driver
  • Access the device manager
  • Look for "Monitors"
  • Right-click and select uninstall
  • Reboot the system and test it again with 4815

Thanks,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
HTan12
Beginner

Hi, Esteban

it happens randomly, for an example when watching youtube with opera and chrome browser, the video would freeze for 2-3 seconds where i'm sure it is not internet connection problem as some thing happened too when i was watching offline videos using VLC video player.

I have wallpaper engine installed, when idling on desktop it would freeze sometimes(not very often) and forced close wallpaper engine, there is some sort of error message pop-up from wallpaper engine but unfortunately i can't recall what exactly it is, using older driver (22.20.16.4771) dont have this kind of error at all.

I'm using HDMI cable to connect my external display, without any docking station and adapter.

Gaming with 4815 driver don't have any problem at all as far as i can remember, even on lighter game that is running with intel graphic instead of using dedicated graphic card.

I always do clean install when i'm installing new display driver by removing older driver and before installing new driver.

also I'm actually not very sure whether this problem persist only when using external monitor or is it the same if i use laptop screen only instead, i would try back 4815 driver when i got some spare time and see what i can get.

Best regard

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you very much for the data provided, hamato

About the future tests with the displays, please keep us updated.

Also, were you able to do the troubleshooting steps noted here?

Something that can be done as troubleshooting:
  • Remove the monitor's driver
  • Access the device manager
  • Look for "Monitors"
  • Right-click and select uninstall
  • Reboot the system and test it again with 4815

(Please check the screenshot attached)

Thanks,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello hamato

This is to do a follow up on your case and find out if you were able to proceed with my latest recommendations and they went.

Thanks,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
HTan12
Beginner

Hi Esteban, my apology for the late reply, was getting my work done without any interruption.

unfortunately the after uninstalling monitor driver from device driver and using back 4815 driver as you suggested doesn't work. The problem still persist, sometimes getting more serious as when i maximize several basic programs(from minimize), the windows animation would get stuck and black screen for 1-2 seconds before recover.

I can confirm that the same problem also happened when i use internal monitor of my laptop only, both external and internal monitor has the same issue.

I have wallpaper engine which would crash after a certain of time and this time around i have the screenshot of the error message. Wallpaper engine never encountered any issue with any older driver when using it.

I also attached new dispdiag, SSU log and dxdiag files which hopefully can be helpful.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for reporting back, hamato

I will be further investigating this matter and get back you as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello hamato

I would like you to test the system with the latest graphics driver available from this link https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27266 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27266

In case you face troubles installing the driver, please download the .zip version of the driver and use these installation steps:

1. Extract the .zip file downloaded (to an empty folder)

2. Access the device manager and look for display adapters (double click on it, you should be able to see an Intel(R) HD Graphics adapter or Microsoft Basic Display Adapter")

3. Right click and select update driver for Intel HD Graphics

4. Select "Browse my computer for driver software"

5. Select "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"

6. Click on "Have Disk" and find the extracted folder of the driver downloaded

7. Go to "Graphics" folder within driver folder and select the **igdlh64.inf** file and hit open then ok

8. Select Intel HD Graphics XXX under "model" and hit next

If the problem is still present after that, please provide the DispDiag.dat and DxDiag.txt files while having it installed.

Sorry for the delayed answer.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
HTan12
Beginner

Hi Esteban, the new driver is excellent, solved all the issue.

Big thanks to intel team.

best regard.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello hamato

I am glad to hear the system worked with the graphics driver 15.60.0.4849

Thank you for reporting back and I hope you have a nice week!

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos