Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20499 Discussions

OpenGL ES Error — "Can't find Intel graphics"

BBenn12
Beginner

When launching a specific application, I'm encountering an OpenGL ES Error that says "can't find Intel graphics".

Currently using an MSI Z370-A Pro with a GTX 1070 and latest drivers.

For the record, this error is exclusive to my current system and not one that I've encountered before with the same application version spanning the last two years.

0 Kudos
23 Replies
AlHill
Super User

You have nvidia graphics. Did you ever have Intel graphics?

What is your processor model number?

Have you updated your bios?

Have you checked your bios to make sure you are using only the nvidia graphics?

Does your bios allow for BOTH add-on and processor graphics to be used concurrently?

Have you attempted to install the processor graphics driver?

Doc

0 Kudos
BBenn12
Beginner

i7 8700K.

This is a relatively new system, bought pre-built from iBuyPower that worked fantastic out of the box. Never bothered with the onboard graphics because I've never needed them.

I haven't updated the BIOS, no. I have checked the BIOS for IGP options and only found an option to choose whether to boot with the onboard graphics or "PEG", which is my 1070.

I've also used Intel's automatic detection tool to download all latest drivers but none were for an IGP.

No Intel device is listed under Display Adapters in Device Manager either.

Yes, I'm on Windows 1903.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Also, what version of windows 10 are you using? 1903?

Look in the device manager, and see if you have entries for both nvida and intel graphics. If you do, are the intel graphics enabled? If so, what is the driver revision?

Doc

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

If no Intel device is listed in the device manager, and you have not the bios or changed the bios settings, then that leaves us with only two places to point: your specific application, or the latest update to 1903 which is known to have caused graphics problems.

If you have checkpoints on, I would restore back to a point before October 8, and then do your test.

Doc

0 Kudos
BBenn12
Beginner

Managed to enable my IGP through the BIOS, which is a UHD 630. Since this was a builder system, the drivers that came installed blocked the standard executable installation for the latest drivers but by downloading the ZIP and manually updating the drivers, I was able to update to 26.20.100.7323. Unfortunately, I still have this error. I'm really at a loss for why this is happening and it's absolutely an Intel issue because I never had this problem with AMD processors and my wife isn't experiencing this issue either with the same application and a GTX 1060 — but she's using a Ryzen.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

"If you have checkpoints on, I would restore back to a point before October 8, and then do your test."

Doc

0 Kudos
BBenn12
Beginner

I don't often maintain restore points because a) they quickly consume space and b) I rarely need them. I don't believe a system restore is even remotely necessary for something that is affecting a single application because of what appears to be a driver issue on Intel's end. Like saying I need to rip out the engine block to diagnose a leaky radiator hose.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

ok

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello BBenn12,

Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities.

I would like to know if you have a hybrid graphics configuration, this depends on the motherboard settings to see if both graphics adapters work together or only one of them is enabled at a time.

To better assist you with your request, I will need to check some information about your computer. Please follow these steps: 

1. In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R. 

2. In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter.

3. Click on Save All Information (save it in your desktop). 

4. Attach the report to this thread. 

Regards,

David V

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
BBenn12
Beginner

Attached is a copy of my dxdiag.

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello BBenn12,

Thank you for your response.

I appreciate you taking the time to provide me with the details requested, I would like to test something, if possible, please disconnect the dedicated video card physically from the computer and then boot the system.

Try opening the application and if it does open without any error then the issue would seem to be related to the way either the motherboard or the O.S detects both graphics adapters as hybrid. 

I would appreciate if you provided me with the name of the application in question so I can check some details on-site. 

Let me know the outcome.

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos
BBenn12
Beginner

Unfortunately, that's not possible. I don't currently have a VGA cable to plug into my motherboard. My display uses HDMI, which my GPU supports.

The application is "UO Steam", found at uosteam.com. You'll need a copy of a game client in order to use the launcher properly. You can download the client here: https://uooutlands.com/connecting/

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello BBenn12,

Thank you for your response.

I was checking your account and I can see that you have a ticket already open about this behavior. Please keep only one ticket open about this so that we can assist you in the best way. 

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos
BBenn12
Beginner

There is absolutely nothing on this site to indicate that a forum post is considered a support ticket and it's wildly unprofessional to mark the forum thread and the actual support ticket "resolved" out of spite for my misunderstanding.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

You have two choices:

a) using this support forum

b) opening a support ticket (which is NOT done on this support forum)

You can have either A or B, but not both. And, a support ticket supersedes the post on a support forum.

Having both does not allow for focused support, and complicates the situation.

This is why you need to stay with your support ticket. Nothing is being done "out of spite". Rather, to make sure you receive the proper support that is available via the support ticket.

Doc

0 Kudos
BBenn12
Beginner

Again, none of that is communicated at any point during the signup process or when creating a forum post and/or support ticket. If the option is to have one or the other, that's fine, but DavidV closed both the thread and the ticket.

Furthermore, despite his poor handling of the misunderstanding, he's the only one I've interacted with that has made any real effort to reach a resolution. I've traded about a dozen messages with Intel support directly via the support ticket but each exchange just deviated further and further away from reasonable support. I felt like the next response I was going to receive would be something about sacrificing a goat and burning incense. I stopped receiving responses a week ago though.

So, no, support tickets certainly aren't the way to go. It's all copy/paste nonsense with language barriers.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Do a clean install of windows and be done with it. And, test everything BEFORE using "UO Steam". For all we know, that app is the problem.

If you do not want to wipe out your existing drive, simply get a spare drive and do the clean install just for this test.

And, since you have nvida and intel graphics, you need to make sure YOU are using them properly. This includes checking with MSI on their board and UPDATED BIOS settings. Have the nvidia graphics card installed when you do the clean Windows install. I have seen many users confused about onboard and add-on graphics. You need to eliminate this issue.

And, restore points do not take up that much space, and you can control how much space you are willing to use.

You could easily avoid these kinds of problems, rather than fighting the process. Also, when you have an Intel support engineer trying to help, you could cooperate better. It has been 12 days since you began this thread on this support forum. You could have easily eliminated many of the potential problem areas, and resolved this by now.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

0 Kudos
BBenn12
Beginner

lolwut?

At no point was I uncooperative with David. His first response simply asked for a copy of my dxdiag, which I provided. He then asked if I could try connecting directly to the IGP and I responded that I was unable to because I didn't have a cable capable of doing that. Was I supposed to rush to the nearest retailer and purchase said cable to avoid you calling me "uncooperative" in a brow-beating response?

If you had bothered to read through this thread, you would realize that I've made every effort to resolve this issue on my own. In the last few days I've also updated my BIOS, reinstalled drivers for the dozenth time, made several registry edits in a band-aid fix that's worked for others, and earlier today was able to acquire a VGA cable from a friend and confirmed that the application works fine when connected directly to the IGP.

I'm not going to reinstall Windows just to repeat this process again. I'm not going to disassemble my system down to the microchips on my motherboard. There are dozens of individuals who have found success with older drivers, uninstalling their IGP entirely, and so forth. This is an Intel issue. Your generic responses don't change that. I don't need your approval or your condescending rhetoric. Any further responses from you will be ignored.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Do a clean install on another drive for testing.

I have read this thread. I was the first responder, remember?

You never answered my questions directly and any information provided had to asked multiple times.

This is not an Intel issue. It is either because of your setup of the nvidia and intel graphics (with your board/bios), or the application in question. You can eliminate the former by doing a clean install on a spare drive, WITH ONLY THE NVIDA GRAPHICS ENABLED. If you do this, and still see the intel graphics error, then you have an app problem, or a board/bios problem. If you do not know how to do this, ask, and I will try to step you through it. And, key to this is making sure you have the video bios setting done properly BEFORE you install Windows.

If you want this resolved, do what I have asked, and report back. If you do not want to do this, then there is nothing we can help you with.

Doc

0 Kudos
BBenn12
Beginner

@DavidV_Intel​ 

I just used DDU to uninstall all Intel drivers. Upon rebooting and prior to Windows Update automatically installing drivers for the UHD 630, the application I'm having issues with worked just fine. Given that the application works fine when I connect my monitor to the IGP, the driver sweep seems to indicate some sort of clash with Intel drivers and NVIDIA drivers. That's my best assumption anyway. Common denominator in the two solutions I've found is the Intel drivers.

Seems reinstalling Windows 10 isn't necessary after all. Who’d a thunk it?

0 Kudos