Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20603 Discussions

OpenGL issues with Intel HD Graphics 630 after updating to latest DCH drivers on Windows 10 (1903)

FdeAz
Beginner

I have an HP Spectre x360 Convertible 15-ch0xx with switchable graphics (AMD Radeon RX Vega M). A few days ago, I updated Windows 10 to version 1903 (Build 18362.592), and my Intel HD Graphics drivers to the latest version (26.20.100.7584).

Immediately after the update, I started receiving an error on Steam when trying to launch games in Power Saving mode (i.e., with the Intel card) that use OpenGL, such as Broken Age and Grim Fandango Remastered:

{Game Name} can't run because required OpenGL featured aren't available .Make sure the latest graphics card drivers are installed.

I can run these games just fine in Performance mode (i.e., with the Radeon card). I checked Intel Graphics Command Center and OpenGL Extensions Viewer 6, and it reported that the supported OpenGL version in my system was 1.1.0, which is an extremely old version. I checked the Readme.txt on the Intel download page above and I found the following mention:

SOFTWARE: Khronos Group - OpenGL ES;

SGI FREE SOFTWARE LICENSE B

(Version 1.1 [02/22/2000])

However, OpenGL ES is for embedded/mobile systems, so not sure if that's the correct version. However, the version does match what Extensions Viewer 6 and IGCC both reported.

Reverting back to the latest Intel Graphics driver provided by HP fixes the issue, and restores OpenGL support to version 4.6 and allows aforementioned games to run properly with the Intel card.

Repro Steps:

1. Uninstall Intel Graphics Control Panel and drivers from Add/Remove Programs.

2. Open Device Manager, and uninstall AMD Radeon card, then Intel HD Graphics card and checking the Delete drivers option.

3. Scan for hardware changes in the DM to install generic drivers for both cards.

4. Install latest Intel DCH Drivers (link above).

5. (optional?) Install Radeon Vega drivers from HP's download page.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AlHill
Super User

You have something wrong in your configuration. HD 630 graphics support OpenGL 4.5.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005524/graphics-drivers.html?eu-cookie-notice

Doc

0 Kudos
FdeAz
Beginner

That's what I'm seeing in theory in the release notes, but not in practice.

What specific configuration are you referring to?

0 Kudos
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II

If you see only OpenGL 1.1, then most likely the "Microsoft basic display driver" is active.

Open device manager and check for error code 22 or 43 as described at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/310123/error-codes-in-device-manager-in-windows

0 Kudos
FdeAz
Beginner

Hi @Stefan3D​,

I removed both drivers (old Intel and Radeon Vega), installed the latest Intel DCH drivers only, rebooted, and this is what I'm seeing in my Device Manager:

intel-device-manager-working-properly.JPG

Also, at looked at the Details tab, and the Problem code is 0.

However, the IGCC and OpenGL Extensions Viewer still show 1.1.0 as the available OpenGL version:

IGCC-System.JPG

Is there a possibility that these drivers may not be compatible with the HP Spectre X360? I'm really at a loss here as to what could be happening.

Any help or pointers will be greatly appreciated. Ideally, I would like to be able to keep the latest drivers rather than HP old ones.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
FdeAz
Beginner

So, I have finally some good news to report.

After my last post, and despite that, as you can see in the screenshot above, IGCC was telling me I had the most current version of the Intel HD drivers, I decided to corroborate this by firing up Intel Driver & Support Assistant.

Lo and behold: Intel DSA reported an update was available for the very same Intel drivers IGCC was saying were "the most current". This new version was 26.20.100.7755.

Updating to 26.20.100.7755 fixed my OpenGL issues, and even after installing the Radon drivers, IGCC now reports 4.6 as the OpenGL version:

IGCC - OpenGL 4.6 - 26.20.100.7755.JPG

For others who may be encountering this issue, or if by any chance anyone from Intel happens to stop by, I really believe there's definitely some sort of compatibility issue with 26.20.100.7584 and HP Spectre X360 (or perhaps even switchable graphics?) systems.

The reason why I believe this is that I'm a very experienced PC user: I've had a PC since the age of 12, running on MS-DOS, way before W95 came out, so believe me when I tell you that I know how to update a graphics driver., 🙂

If anyone happens to experience this same error, try running Intel DSA to make sure your Intel drivers are indeed the latest.

Many thanks to everyone who chimed in.

P.S.: What is the protocol regarding the "Best Answer" in this case? Please let me know how to proceed.

0 Kudos
Benjamin_Jorsch
Beginner

I've been having the same issues as everyone else in this thread. My drivers are definitely up to date, verified by Intel DSA, and yet my PC simply refuses to have an Opengl version higher than 1.1 even though it should be able to run OpenGL 4.5. Intel support also did nothing to help the issue.

0 Kudos