Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20680 Discussions

Optimus Bug Intel HD 4000 (probably 2500 as well) on Windows 10

RGOG
Beginner

I filled up that recommended table for you:

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

Lagging whenever iGPU switches to dGPU or dGPU switches to iGPU.

Unneccessary switching. (read as: ways more then normal)

Does it fail every single time, or only sometimes?

If you can offer a % rate please do.

If you follow my steps to reproduce it fails 100% of the time

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

XMG

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

Optimus

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below). 

LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)

EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

LFP

How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below).

16 GiB

Provide any other hardware needed to replicate the issue.

ie: Cables&brand, cable type [vga, hdmi, DP, etc], dock, dongles/adapters, etc

<span s...

0 Kudos
40 Replies
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, All:

Thank you for the information provided.

I perform some tests for this apparent lag while changing between the different desktop backgrounds in Windows 10*.

This is the hardware used:

-CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4702HQ Processor

-Model: Dell XPS 15 9530

-RAM: 16GB

-GPU: Nvidia GeForce 750m

-Resolution: Built-in display 3200x1800

Softwared used:

GeForce Game Ready Driver version: 364.72

Intel® HD Graphics 4600 driver tested: 20.19.15.4331 & 20.19.15.4380

What I did:

-Downloaded some high resolution images to set as desktop background

-Manually changed the background with right click, several times

-Set the change background to 60 segs and check the behavior

-Updated all drivers from Intel® and Nvidia* (versions used above)

My outcome:

-I did not receive any lag while going through the different backgrounds set

-Just the regular transition that fades the previous image is present

Please do provide us with an specific setting, feature or software that could be triggering this behavior.

If you require any further information or support, do not hesitate to contact us back.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos
JL10
Beginner

EstebanC_Intel

Thanks for your reply! I'm sorry to hear that you can't replicate the problem. Does your Dell laptop happen to tell you when it switches from Intel to Nvidia, such as having the power light color change?

I made a video to show you what mine does: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2yxDyiqh14&feature=youtu.be Optimus Problem - YouTube I know it's not the best video, but I'm not a camera person. Anyhow, notice how my power light changes every time I change the wallpaper and at the end it changes for the action center. Intel is white and notice how it switches to orange for only a second which is Nvidia. Surely, that isn't normal behavior to switch that often? As you can see, it's not a game I'm starting up, I'm just changing the wallpaper. In Windows 8, it was white (Intel) the entire time (unless it was a game I was starting up).

For more about when I noticed the lag: I wasn't doing nothing. I have about fifteen or more tabs open in Firefox and I'm watching Netflix in one of them and everything is great (it's a high end machine) until it decides to change the wallpaper. Then I notice the lag for a second as it changes. (I can tell it's that just by watching the power light change.) I'm not sure how other people have noticed it, they'll have to chime in? But I think if you're not doing anything it's unnoticeable.

0 Kudos
IZori
Beginner

Hi, I think this occurs when Windows 10 were updated from windows 8, not a clean install. In other forums, some users said that when they reintalled windows 10, the problem, dissappeared.. but this is not a solution, at least an elegant solution....

Can you try to replicate this environment?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
SKip1
Novice

That's not true. I run into this right after I install Windows 10 from scratch. So it's not an upgrade issue.

@EstebanC_Intel can't you just get a notebook with one of the mentioned CPU/GPU configurations as mentioned in this forum?

0 Kudos
MAeth
Beginner

EstebanC_Intel

Why didnt you try to replicate the issue in the environment described in the OP? O.o

Anyway, here is my scenario and thoughts about this issue.

Model : Gigabyte P2742 [based on Clevo W370ET]

CPU : Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU

RAM : 8GB

iGPU : HD Graphics 4000

dGPU : GTX 660M

HDD : 750GB Momentus XT

Monitor : Chi Mei N173HGE-L11 *inbuilt

Motherboard Chipset : Intel Panther Point HM77

Audio Adapter : Realtek ALC269 *inbuilt

As of today drivers used, and the issue is present

Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 7*, 8.1*,10 [15.33] Version: 15.33.42.4358 for Intel HD 4000

364.72-notebook-win10-64bit-international-whql for nVidia GTX660M

I have used this laptop in Windows 8/8.1 and now am on Window 10. While I was using it on 8 and 8.1 I didn't get this issue what so ever.

ivanzorita

After I came across this issue the first thing I did was a full OS re-installation and then installing only the drivers and nothing else and testing it.

I tested the Windows 10 64bit and then Windows 10 64bit v1151 which I am currently running on as of now, fully updated. The issue is present.

I did an update from 8.1 to 10, the issue is there. I installed 10 from scratch issue is there. In Windows 8/ 8.1 the issue was not there. So, this issue happens irrespective of an OS update or not.

After my vanilla installation of Windows 10 64bit and installing updates except the display drivers. I installed the latest available Intel driver then and the same for nVidia driver as well.

Then I proceeded to install driver combinations hoping to get a clear idea of where the issue is.

regardless of Intel driver,

installing "350.12-notebook-win8-win7-64bit-international-whql" for the nVidia does not exhibit this issue. But, this was not a Windows 10 driver (and I was not comfortable using it, and I saw other bugs I gave up on this driver, and while I used this work around for a sometime. I dont want to anymore.) and am positive that every single Windows 10 driver for HD4000 coupled with GTX660M exhibits this issue

352.84-notebook-win10-64bit-international-whql

353.30-notebook-win10-64bit-international-whql

355.98-notebook-win10-64bit-international-whql

358.50-notebook-win10-64bit-international-whql

358.87-notebook-win10-64bit-international-whql

358.91-notebook-win10-64bit-international-whql

359.00-notebook-win10-64bit-international-whql

361.43-notebook-win10-64bit-international-whql

361.75-notebook-win10-64bit-international-whql

those are the only ones I wrote down. It was a pain. I tried the Intel drivers too, didn't write them down since there wasn't many. And the issue was there irrespective of what I did. But, having seen how a Windows 8 driver does not exhibit this issue I was wondering who actually messed up here. I thought this was a WDDM mismatch (just like OP thought) since Widows 10 drivers from nVidia are WDDM 2.0 while the Intel for HD4000 is only WDDM 1.3. And the one driver that didn't exibit this particular issue was with WDDM 1.3 from nVidia's.

The issue :

Have some video element that is moving in the screen. Playing video file, YouTube, or even moving the mouse so you can see the lag. Have your wallpaper change to the next wallpaper by setting a short timer or clicking the next wallpaper from the desktop right click. By then you will notice how the screen freezes (not the audio given a video file with audio is playing) and since my laptop comes with the hardware LED indicator, I can see the Intel GPU (which should be more than enough to handle the task at hand) switching to GTX660M. And then the lag disappears usually 1 second? (didnt time) and then the indicator falls back to Intel indicating that somehow it need a dGPU to handle this task.

for me I can always replicate this is issue by doing the following

Have the wallpaper switch, regardless of the wallpaper resolution.

Click on the power/ battery icon on the task-bar notification to pop up the small battery info window.

Click on Start > Settings > and as soon as you click "System" from that panel.

Launch IE.

Any real help at resolving this is appreciated EstebanC_Intel.

Thank you so far for looking into this

0 Kudos
SKip1
Novice

I made a slightly more clear video of the issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rw7wpNqu2U nVidia optimus lag windows 10 - YouTube

0 Kudos
JL10
Beginner

EstebanC_Intel

Do you happen to have any MSI or Clevo based models (Sager, Gigabyte) available with Optimus and a 4000 HD or 4600 HD that you can test with? Also to make the test more complete, try watching an online video clip with the wallpaper switching in the background.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
RGOG
Beginner

kipusoep: This shows off the issue just excellent in my eyes!

0 Kudos
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, All:

Thank you for all the information provided.

Let me get this reviewed and I will be providing you with the outcome given.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos
JGoss
Beginner

I am having the same problem as well.

Alienware M17X with Windows 10 Pro w/ all latest updates

CPU Core i7 4800QM

RAM 16GB

NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780M dGPU w/ Driver 10.18.13.6472 WHQL

Intel HD4600 iGPU

HDD : 1GB HGST 7200 RPM

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

When idle my laptop is cyclically switching between GPUs. The Geforce is off for 5 seconds, then turns on for approximately 1 second, and back off. Similarly, if I am trying to do work, the switching will occur more often and introduce 1-second stuttering during each switch. Using GPU-Z the video card transitions may be observed and can be directly correlated to the stutter events.

Not really sure how to fix this. The laptop never used to behave this way, and my Windows 10 install was done after a clean format. I appreciate your trying to duplicate the problem.

- Jason

0 Kudos
CMile2
Beginner

Nvidia hotfix 364.96 fixed this issue with random dgpu triggers on my machine. I'm guessing this was an accident because this hotfix is to fix DOOM online shoot em up game.

My Sager/Clevo laptop has the same specs as your machine and I have been fighting this problem since the Win 10 beta

Cheers!

0 Kudos
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, All:

Thank you cmiles for your input on this.

I would like to know if other peers have tested that fix mentioned.

Feedback or outcome regarding this would be great to have.

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4086/~/geforce-hot-fix-driver-version-364.96 GeForce Hot Fix driver version 364.96

I look forward to hearing from you guys.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos
JL10
Beginner

Not working here. Intel HD 4600 with a 970m. I did a clean install and everything.

0 Kudos
FSilv13
Beginner

Its working for me. Intel HD 4600 with 780M.

0 Kudos
SKip1
Novice

w000000t!

It's working for me as well 🙂

Didn't need a reboot or clean install at all, just installed both the Intel and nVidia updates and the lag/freezing is gone. Finally!

0 Kudos
MAeth
Beginner

did a clean installation to 'GeForce Hot Fix driver version 364.96' and after a restart the lag seems to be gone.

Intel HD4000 and nVidia GTX660M
0 Kudos
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello:

I am glad to hear this is working for most you.

Jafaro1988, I would like to check if the following is doable, please uninstall the drivers from the dGPU (970m) and then access the device manager, disable the 970m from the display adapters and then test the behavior of the system.

Additionally, if available, check you BIOS to see if the dGPU can be disabled at that level.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos
JL10
Beginner

EstebanC_Intel

It works great, but it's not really a solution because I can't use my 970m then. Also my power light is orange, so it's running the entire time even though I can't use it.

I guess this means I have to hope Nvidia comes out with a more complete driver fix?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
RGOG
Beginner

I´m curious: Was it actually cooperation between you and Nvidia that made it possible to fix the issue (yes, it´s fixed for me as well), just you (but Nvidia had to integrate that fix in their drivers) or just nvidia?

0 Kudos
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, Jafaro1988:

Thank you for your answer on this.

In this case, since the problem is not present while using only Intel® HD Graphics (as per your answer), my recommendation would be to check dGPU's forums to find a possible fix for this, like 364.96 that worked for other users.

If you find this or get an answer from them, it would be great to have that in this thread as well, for other possible user with systems like you that could encounter with this scenario.

If any additional questions or inquiries are present, feel free to contact us back.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos