Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
21137 Discussions

Performance degrades significantly after updating to the latest driver

wdx04
Beginner

Hi all,

I updated my graphics driver from 101.4369 to 101.4577, to check if my DPC++ application can get some performance boost with the latest driver.

The application is the same as mentioned in the following thread:

https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-oneAPI-Data-Parallel-C/Low-GPU-utilization-in-multithreaded-application/m-p/1485662/

Unfortunately, the performance with the new driver is 12% slower than the old driver under the same hardware(A750 GPU) and application settings.

In another application setup with fewer points but much more transforms, the performance degrades much more significantly: 

JPG.jpg

The C++AMP implemention of the same application is also slower with the new driver.

Please help me to find out what happened with the new driver.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
SeshaP_Intel

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Intel Communities.

We have informed the concerned team regarding your issue and we are working on it internally. We will get back to you soon.

Thanks and Regards,

Pendyala Sesha Srinivas

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello wdx04,

Thank you for posting on the Intel®️ communities. I see that you are having issues with the DPC++ application in an Intel® Arc™ A750 Graphics, I understand this can be annoying for you, I will be happy to help you.  

To have a better understanding of the situation, please answer the following questions:

Regards,  

Andres P. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
wdx04
Beginner

Hi Andres,

You can get the code from the following link:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApduJQeHcf7MgfJGFWPeTP8Hx9w6_A?e=tzthyC

You'll need OpenCV to compile the code.

Precompiled binaries and data files are also included.

Here is the hardware and system information file:

https://1drv.ms/t/s!ApduJQeHcf7MgfJHS_XS_ifQR4GV_Q?e=AI5tRs

Note I replaced the A750 with an A380, which has similar performance issues with the new driver.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello wdx04,

Thank you for your response, all the information provided has been really helpful.

The last week we released a new graphics driver version please follow the steps below to check if the behavior changes:

Let me know the results.

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
wdx04
Beginner

Hi Adnres,

I think 31.0.101.4644 was the driver released last week, a newer driver is not available yet.

I also tested two previous WHQL drivers 4575/4577 and got similar results.

The code plays a critical role in many of our industrial machine vision/robotics applications, and the latest drivers can slow down these applications by up to 2.3 times.

182121_838.jpg

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello wdx04,

Thank you for your answer, and for the information provided.

Just to clarify, were you able to clean install the graphics driver to version 31.0.101.4644 with Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU)?

Let me know the results you had.

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
wdx04
Beginner

Hi Andres,

Yes. I cleaned the old driver with Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) and then reinstalled the 101.4644 driver .

The applications seem to run slightly faster after the clean installation,  but they are still significantly slower than 101.4369.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello wdx04,

Thank you for your response, and for completing the steps.

I will start with the investigation and as soon I have further information I will let you know.

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello wdx04,

Thank you for your time.

I have been working on the investigation, please answer the questions below to start with the replication of the issue:

• I see you attached a screenshot of an app that measures the performance, what is the name of that app?
  • Provide me with step-by-step instructions to reproduce your issue as accurately as possible.

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
wdx04
Beginner

Hi Andres,

Application performance was measured by itself, using the standard std::chrono::steady_clock.

I have posted the application binaries and source code before. You can run the application inside a PowerShell window to see the performance measurements.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello wdx04,

Thank you for your answer, and for the clarification.

In order to try to reproduce the issue as accurate as possible, can you please provide me with step-by-step instructions I should follow to replicate the issue?

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
wdx04
Beginner

Hi Andres,

Here are the accurate steps the reproduce the issue:

1.Get a PC with i7-6700K, 32GB RAM, and A750 installed.
2.Install Windows 10 x64 22H2 with all updates to date.
3.Install WinRAR or any other archivers that can handle RAR archives.
4.Down load testdpc2-new.rar.
4.Extract testdpc2-new.rar into any folder.
5.Clean install the 101.4369 driver, restart the computer.
6.Open a command shell in the 'release' sub folder under the extracted folder.
7.Type testdpc2<enter>
8.Record the SYCL GPU Iteration time in milliseconds
9.Clean install the 101.4577 driver, or a more recent driver, restart the computer.
10.Repeat step 6.7.8,this time the SYCL GPU Iteration time should be significantly larger than the previous value.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello wdx04,

Thank you for the step-by-step instructions.

I will continue with the investigation, for now, I will try to reproduce the issue, and as soon I have the results I will let you know.

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello wdx04, 

Thank you for your time.

We have been working on the reproduction of the issue, we tested it with different driver versions and there is not a big difference in the performance as we can see in the screenshots you attached.

In this case, our recommendation for further support is to make a post on the Developer Software Forums.

For now, we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. 

Regards,

Andres P. 

0 Kudos