Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Photoshop not detecting OpenGL?

idata
Employee

I just recently downloaded and installed Photoshop's 13.1 update. Suddenly, my OpenGL functionality within the software stopped working. It appears that my current graphics hardware/driver combination isn't sufficient enough for Adobe's update.

I'm on an Inspiron 1764 running an i5 430 M processor with embedded HD Graphics. Windows 7 64-bit.

Current graphics driver: 8.15.10.2104

Running Intel's Driver Update Utility only refers me to the OEM's (in this case, Dell) website. But when I get there, driver 8.15.10.2104 is the latest one offered--released way back in 2010. Does Intel offer a better option than this? I'd really like to get those OpenGL features back without having to roll Photoshop back to 13.0.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
5 Replies
idata
Employee

I may have tried installing this driver previously. If I did, I likely ran into this the first time as well:

I can't seem to get around this. I've got to admit that I'm a bit frustrated at this point. If it isn't bad enough that Dell only offers us old drivers, Adobe oddly disables some of my graphics functionality without considering the limited number of drivers available to me--perhaps that's a rant better saved for Adobe's tech support. Any other suggestions?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Just got off the phone with Adobe tech support. The impression I received is that my hardware/driver combination is fine--they're just having some technical difficulties with the new update they rolled out. We can't be for certain until my case is fully reviewed. I suppose I'll report back in a couple of days.

I appreciate the help thus far.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Problem solved. I wish I had known sooner that I'm required to uninstall the OEM's driver prior to attempting the installation off a generic driver. I'm assuming that to be common knowledge within this community? -sigh-

DArce
Valued Contributor III

Please be aware that we provide generic drivers that have not been developed or tested specially for your system. Each motherboard, laptop or Original Equipment Manufacturer can add, remove and change features on the video controllers they implement on their systems. Therefore they provide customized drivers to support such changes. So we always recommend using the latest drivers provided directly by your motherboard or Original Equipment Manufacturer.

In some cases, the system does not allow you to install our generic driver until you remove the customized driver from your OEM.

0 Kudos