Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20820 Discussions

Please make the gfx driver installer lightweight.

SadArcUser
Beginner

The latest driver on Windows (gfx_win_101.5186_101.5234) drives my crazy before driving my GPU.

This driver installer extracted itself into a temp folder, the installer.exe will show user a loading screen and quiet install old .Net Desktop 7.0.7 with unnecessary ASP.net pack. Then it extracts one more installer.exe into temp folder, it shows an error "not found .net core 7.0.0 ..." if I let it download the Dotnet installer, it will reinstall what I already installed "windowsdesktop-runtime-7.0.15-win-x64"...

Let's extract the installer (gfx_win_101.5186_101.5234.exe) and find out what going on here, the "Graphics_101.5234" folder should be able to install with NSIS or InnoSetup powered installer without any problem, so driver install part shouldn't really need to use Dotnet technology.

We can see the Intel Arc Control installer in "Resources\Extras" folder, if you run it, look like it's an installer power by WiX Toolset, dependency walker shows it doesn't need any Dotnet DLL. I've checked arc control's executables, they are all normal executable, don't require Dotnet at all.

Now let's take a look at "GfxDownloadWrapper.exe" and "OneApp.IGCC.WinService.exe" in "Graphics_101.5234" folder, they are Dotnet executables, but if you open them in HxD and search "NETFramework,Version=v4.7", you'll see they only require the stock .net framework on Windows.

The UWP app being installed by the driver package name is "AppUp.IntelGraphicsExperience", but I don't think Windows Desktop Runtime or Dotnet 7.0 runtime is needed there, UWP app using a different Dotnet distribution.

So why on earth your installer team need to use a non-stock version of Dotnet (and it's not even the latest, Dotnet 7 is in maintenance mode now) only for this driver install process? Is it really better than "good old" NSIS/Inno/WiX ?

I know Nvidia and AMD's driver installer sucks too, but Intel's driver in the old days doesn't suck like this bloat GFX driver.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
VonM_Intel

Hi, SadArcUser.

Thank you for posting in the Intel Communities. We would be more than glad to assist you regarding the GFX driver.

To better assist you, we would like to ask for the following details:

• May we know the make and model of your device?
  • Any recent changes made to the system?

Also, kindly provide us with your SSU, as it would really help us if we could get more information about your system.

To provide the Intel SSU logs:

1. Download the Intel® System Support Utility and save the application to your system. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18377/intel-system-support-utility-for-windows.html 
  2. Open the application, tick Everything, and click Scan to see system and device information. The Intel® System Support Utility defaults to the Summary View on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View. 
  3. To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer. 
  4. Attach the text file here.

Looking forward to your response. Have a nice day ahead!

Best regards,

Von M.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
SadArcUser
Beginner

I've report this problem to "Intel-GPU-Community-Issue-Tracker-IGCIT" on Github, it might get fix in the future.

0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Hi, SadArcUser.

Thank you for informing us.

May we know the exact link on the GitHub that you've reported, as we tried to review and simulate it on the GitHub website? Please also be informed that we have a different platform to support. 

Best regards,

Von M.

0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Hi, SadArcUser.

Thank you for sharing this link. We will review this GitHub community issue tracker and we will do further research on this matter and post the response on this thread once available.

Best regards,

Von M.

0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Hi, SadArcUser.

I appreciate your flexibility while we look into this. Please note that we are still working on the graphics installer. However, I would really appreciate it if you could give us some more time, as we need to check and replicate the issue further. We believe this will help us find a more accurate and comprehensive solution for you.

Best regards,

Von M.

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello SadArcUser

Thank you for patiently waiting. I have some news regarding your inquiry. Upon coordinating with our team, we want to let you know that Installing .net file is normal behavior. It is necessary to install .net and it's primary role is to kickstart the graphics installer.

Although we cannot yet give you a specific timeline on when this will be fixed, we can assure you that the Intel driver team is working hard to resolve this issue in future drivers.

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Hello SadArcUser,

I hope you are doing fine.

Were you able to check the previous post?

Kindly let us know if you still need assistance.

Best Regards,

Von M.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello SadArcUser,

Just posting another follow up to check if you still have questions or clarifications. 

Since we have not heard back from you, I need to close this inquiry. 

If you need further assistance, please post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. 

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos