Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20602 Discussions

Poor Performance with HD graphics driver on Win 10 64 Home

BBach4
Novice

Hi,

I recently upgraded my OS from Win7 64 home to Win10 64 home edition. After the installation the intel hd graphics driver was updated (Intels online automatic update) to Driver Version = 15.40.44.64.5107

System:

CPU: Pentium G3220

RAM: 4GB

But the performance of the system now is pretty slow. E.g. Open start menu only with long latency. When working in the browser there seems a lot of graphics/display switching -> display gets blank, but re-appears after a few seconds. No video image when playing a dvd on VLC?

I already uninstalled the driver and the default microsoft driver worked more smooth. Then I re-installed the intel hd graphics driver, but with the same problem.

Any suggestions?

30 Replies
SJack2
New Contributor II

This reply has made me so angry I've got up at 02:31 GMT to reply!

I can guarantee you have not tested on affected hardware. If you follow my other thread, you will see I have explicitly stated that I believe GT1 hardware is affected, not GT2. I am unable to test on GT3e (no hardware).

I suppose the fact that I've used these released reference drivers on this exact hardware prior to this release without incident counts for nothing?

I suppose the fact that they do not display these issues on other (GT2) hardware I have access to means I am wrong? No, it just means you haven't tested on affected hardware.

I assume that because I use the reference drivers on my current (Lenovo) laptop (build 7755 on i5-7200U) without incident is also not relevant.

No, it simply proves that the testing you use is inadequate. It means your replies are not fully qualified, it means your engineers should forget about ever releasing any more drivers publicly if the caveat is they *might* not work on your system.

Frankly, what is the point of the community reporting issues if the response is "nothing to see here, go away"?

Thanks a bundle. We've produced the error reports and video you've asked for and your response is inadequate. @AdrianM_Intel​ if you'd be kind enough to post details of your test rig, then I'll apologise if I'm wrong but it will be GT2 or possibly GT3e.

Now, if you'll excuse me, it's blowing a gale outside and I should be in bed. 😒

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for providing such solid evidence to this issue.

After you narrowed this down to just GT1 hardware (it is not common for a bug to impact only specific SKUs) I set up a similar system (only exception was I used an Intel Pentium G3430) and as soon as I installed 15.40.44.5107 I was able to see the issue. The only suggestion I can vow for now would be staying with driver 15.40.42.5063 until a new driver becomes available.

I already reported this bug to our driver development team and as soon as there is any news about it I'll post them here.

Once again, thank you for taking your time and effort reporting this issue to us.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

SJack2
New Contributor II

@Ronald_Intel​ Thank you for acknowledging the issue. It would be handy if this issue is fixed as I do not expect driver releases to be anything other than security releases here on in.

0 Kudos
Bryce_Intel

Officially entered into the tracking DB. Tracking# 22010271148

15_40_44_5107
Beginner

Same problem here... everything @SJack2​ says in here is true. 15.40.44.5107 is bugged. My system reacts exactly the same.

Are you doing something, intel?

I spent the whole day trying to figure out whats going on until I found this forum.

0 Kudos
Bryce_Intel

Thanks all for your patience as this makes its way through the investigation process. For now, please revert back to 15.40.42.5063 until investigations concludes. We'll provide more updates as progress is made.

RonaldM_Intel

Hello everyone,

I would like to offer you with a status update.

As you already know, I was able to personally test and replicate this issue on my lab. The good news is I recently re-tested this with our latest internal driver build and I can confirm the issue has been fixed.

Please hold on a bit longer using driver 15.40.42.5063 until a new driver update is made available.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

SJack2
New Contributor II
0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

No problem, we're happy to help.

I'll be closing this thread for now. As you know bug report 22010271148 was filed and on track for an upcoming driver release.

Thank you for your feedback, the information you provided was the key for us to see this bug.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
VW
Beginner

Just created an account to reply and say thank you to the original poster as I too was having stability issues with the current .5171 driver build on my Intel i5 4278U processor with Intel Iris 5100 graphics.  The computer is a 2014 Mac mini running Windows 10 x64 used for media.  Windows updated me from the Apple Bootcamp supplied driver to a .4624 build which works just fine, but the Intel Driver Support Utility says I can use the .5171 build.  Installing it caused instability to the point where it almost seemed dangerous to run on my trusty old computer that looks nice in my living room and gets the job done for my 1080HD needs with a bit of 4k thrown in (I am more than happy with my 1080p TV).  

I know Intel considers these drivers end of life and will receive security updates only.  I do think this still qualifies for an update as the .5171 build contains both bug and security fixes but introduces a stability bug that makes it unusable on some systems.

Anyhow, glad I found this thread and am now a further updated with my driver now on build .5063.  I perceive performance improvements (no formal testing but everything seems a bit 'snappier'). 

0 Kudos