Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Poor Performance with HD graphics driver on Win 10 64 Home

BBach4
Novice

Hi,

I recently upgraded my OS from Win7 64 home to Win10 64 home edition. After the installation the intel hd graphics driver was updated (Intels online automatic update) to Driver Version = 15.40.44.64.5107

System:

CPU: Pentium G3220

RAM: 4GB

But the performance of the system now is pretty slow. E.g. Open start menu only with long latency. When working in the browser there seems a lot of graphics/display switching -> display gets blank, but re-appears after a few seconds. No video image when playing a dvd on VLC?

I already uninstalled the driver and the default microsoft driver worked more smooth. Then I re-installed the intel hd graphics driver, but with the same problem.

Any suggestions?

30 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Cleanup your PC. And, maybe use a SSD for the boot drive instead of an HDD.

Doc

0 Kudos
BBach4
Novice

I did already a cleanup and I'm also using a SSD.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

You may want to increase the memory to 8GB. Then, take care of your startups and contact Microsoft for additional support. I have done a fair number of conversions from W7 to W10 on 4th gen processors, and it is ALWAYS a cleanup issue.

Doc

0 Kudos
SJack2
New Contributor II

Driver is busted but Intel don't believe us!

Busted on clean install.

BBach4
Novice

Do they investigate the problem? Or is there a way to escalate it?

0 Kudos
SJack2
New Contributor II

They have sent me a PM asking for my personal details but nothing as yet.

Problem is, I have affected hardware and unaffected hardware. So far they have tested only unaffected hardware.

I hope there will be a revised driver in the works to fix the vulnerability but it is important we highlight this build does not work at all well on affected hardware.

0 Kudos
SJack2
New Contributor II

Try build 5063 for now @BBach4​ 

It does not provide mitigation for SA-00314

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/security-center/advisory/intel-sa-00314.html

15_40_44_5107
Beginner

I cannot even install 5063.. it says something like my system does not have the minimum requirements for installing this software...

is there another older version since the recent version is bugged af??? pls help

0 Kudos
SJack2
New Contributor II

If you have a system specific driver, this may be why.

If you have downloaded 5063, then disconnect from the internet (remove cable or disable adapter)

Uninstall the existing driver from Control Panel.

If there is not one there, proceed to Device Manager and select the display driver, right-click and go to Properties. Uninstall the driver and check the box that says 'delete the driver software for this device'.

You should have 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter'.

Restart and once you confirm the above is still the case, install 5063.

Go to System|Advanced System Settings|Hardware|Device Installation Settings, set to No.

Restart and reconnect internet.

15_40_44_5107
Beginner

this actually worked!!

BIG thanks to you and your ultra fast response @SJack2​  👍

0 Kudos
SJack2
New Contributor II
0 Kudos
Max44
Beginner

This likely a compatibility issue.

If you recently upgraded, I recommend you rollback.

There seems to be some early adopter issues at this time with Windows 10 1903, if you can, I recommend you wait a bit until Windows 10 1903 matures with future cumulative updates.

Open Start > Settings > Update & security > Recovery > under Go back to my previous version of Windows 10, click Get started.

or

Press Control + Alt + Delete

Click Sign out

At the Sign In screen, hold down the shift key on your keyboard while clicking the Power button on the screen

Continue to hold down the shift key while clicking Restart

Continue to hold down the shift key until the Advanced Recovery Options menu appears

Click Troubleshoot

Click Advanced options

Click Go back to the previous version of Windows

0 Kudos
SJack2
New Contributor II

@Max44​ I have troubleshot (troubleshooted) this issue 100%

It is not a compatibility issue, it is a faulty driver.

I know, because I have tested it on target hardware in a variety of scenarios. It does not matter if you upgrade or clean install.

The driver works on HD4600 hardware and the Intel test machines with HD4600 & HD5500 hardware. (GT2)

It does not work with 'basic' Intel HD hardware - but the driver *is* for this generation of CPU and thereby GPU. Again, it does not work well whether it is upgraded or clean installed. (GT1)

It does not halt the installation, it does not fail installation, it completes successfully but then the system becomes unresponsive (before or after a reboot). Reverting back to the previous driver build 5063 or the WU/Inbox version restores the system performance but the driver is a security release. Build 5063 performs well on GT1 and GT2.

Seems us 'unfortunates' can have either a stable system or a 'secure' one but not both.

AdrianM_Intel

Hello All,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

Hello BBach4, can you please provide the following information?

1. Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) 

• Intel® SSU Download link 
  • Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View". 
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View". 
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save". 

2. DXDIAG 

• Go to Start > Run or Windows Key + R. 
  • On the Run prompt, type "dxdiag" then click OK. 
  • On the DirectX Diagnostic Tool window, click on Save All Information. 
  • Browse to a folder, type in a filename then click Save. 

Can you please share a video or screenshots showing the behavior you are experiencing (like display gets blank, but re-appears after a few seconds. No video image when playing a DVD on VLC)

Best regards,

Adrian M.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello BBach4

We would like to know if you still need assistance. If yes, please let us know and kindly provide the information requested by AdrianM_Intel in a previous post.

Regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
BBach4
Novice
0 Kudos
BBach4
Novice
posted a file.
0 Kudos
BBach4
Novice

with 5063 it is working ...

SJack2
New Contributor II

@AndrewG_Intel​ @AdrianM_Intel​ please check your inbox for video.

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel

Hello All,

Thank you for sharing the information.

I can see what happens on the video you have shared, I noticed that you are using Intel generic drivers on your computer I would like to make a note about the drivers, we supply generic versions of graphics drivers for general purposes. Computer manufacturers might have changed the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes to the graphics driver software or software packaging. To avoid potential installation incompatibilities, we recommend that you check first with your computer manufacturer and use the driver software provided by them.

Here the latest driver provided by the system manufacturer MSI* for Windows 10 64bits

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/H81M-E33.html#down-driver&Win10%2064

I personally tested this behavior using the same drivers 15.40.44.64.5107 and I did not experience the issue that you are having, I am thinking that the issue might be caused due to the system may have some customizations that do not allow to run this generic driver smoothly or it could be Operating System corruption issue.

Regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos