Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20728 Discussions

Problem with Intel GPU Top in Ubuntu

kvanurag02
Beginner

I have a question regarding the intel-gpu-top command. While measuring GPU performance on core-i5 1135G7 running Ubuntu 20.04 LTS (5.14.0-1056-oem) this is the output of sudo intel_gpu_top command.

kvanurag02_1-1675955923673.png

Since 1135G7 has 2 Multi-Format Codec Engines, it shows up as Video/0 and Video/1.

But the same command in a custom yocto build Poky Linux (5.10.100-intel-pk-standard) shows this on the same machine.

kvanurag02_0-1675955841856.png

There are no Video/0 and Video/1 showing up  in yocto. Is this something related to the drivers? Both operating systems have the i915 kernel driver in it.  Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
kvanurag02
Beginner

Thank you for your response. There is an alternative solution for this problem. By simply writing the intel_gpu_top command onto a file (intel_gpu_top > gpu-log.txt) we can get both of the video codec data. So I guess the issue is resolved for now. Thanks.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello kvanurag02,

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities.

Please consult with your Operating System vendor for updates and support necessary for your specific OS and system configuration. Remember that for the Linux operating system, most Linux-based* distributions include Intel® Graphics Drivers. These drivers are provided and maintained by the Linux* Operating System Vendors

Best regards,

Jean O. 

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
kvanurag02
Beginner

Thank you for your response. There is an alternative solution for this problem. By simply writing the intel_gpu_top command onto a file (intel_gpu_top > gpu-log.txt) we can get both of the video codec data. So I guess the issue is resolved for now. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello kvanurag02,

We are glad to know you found a solution. Thank you for taking the time to share this fix.

Hopefully, it will help other community members experiencing similar behavior. Since the thread is now solved, we will proceed to close it.  

Note that if you face any similar issues, you should consult with your Operating System distributor.

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. Thank you for your understanding.  

Best regards,

Jean O.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
lukeomatik
Beginner

Mate, just type '1' while on intel_gpu_top main screen.

According to the help page (type 'h' while on intel_gpu_top):

Help for interactive commands:
   '1'    Toggle between aggregated engine class and physical engine mode.
   'n'    Toggle display of numeric client busyness overlay.
   's'    Toggle between sort modes (runtime, total runtime, pid, client id).
   'i'    Toggle display of clients which used no GPU time.
   'H'    Toggle between per PID aggregation and individual clients.

You want the physical engine mode, not the aggregated one.
And by the way look at archlinux wiki, gentoo wiki and other distro wikis about linux drivers and stuff, they sometimes are very helpful even tho the distro is different.

Cheers

0 Kudos