Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

Problem with Intel HD Graphics: The edges of the display are cut off when I connect to my TV via HDMI & the driver software does not support scaling. How can I fix this?

MPayn10
Beginner

For several years I've been using a Windows 7 laptop connected via HDMI to an old Sony Bravia TV. It was great; you just plugged the HDMI cable in and it just worked! Sadly my Win 7 laptop has died and now I'm trying to replace it with a Windows 10 laptop that uses an Intel HD Graphics 5500 graphics chip, but it cuts off the edges of the display making it unusable for practical purposes.

The TV does not allow any adjustment on the HDMI display and so there is no 'overscan' option, no 'fit width' etc or anything else. This means that a TV solution is not possible.

After searching for a solution it appears that the user interface of the graphics driver should allow scaling using horizontal and vertical adjustment bars, but these bars do not appear in my version of the software. I've tried downloading the latest version of the driver, both automatically and manually (via 'have disk') but to no avail. I've tried installing older versions just in case the adjustment bars have been removed in later versions. But again I've had no joy.

Other issues: Even though it correctly identifies the TV as a Sony Bravia, I don't think it has the correct refresh rate because there is a lot of flicker that also makes it unusable.

As a work-around, I can connect to the TV with a PC VGA cable. This avoids the flicker and instead of spilling over the edges of the screen there are some narrow black borders at the left and right sides. Unlike HDMI, the sound does not go through to the TV. This is a work-around but not an ideal solution. I want the ability to plug my laptop into any TV via HDMI and for it to work as expected.

I've spend days on this. Why could my old Win 7 machine work so seamlessly whilst this newer machine seems incapable of fitting the screen correctly no matter what I do? Please can anyone help me?

0 Kudos
23 Replies
Abigail_G_Intel
Employee

Hello MPayn10,

Were you able to check the post from Ronald_Intel?

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards, 

Abigail G

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello MPayn10,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance, please post a new question.

Based on the troubleshooting and information provided, our recommendation is that you contact your Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) for further support. In this way, you can also confirm if they went with the single display scaler implementation.

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
MBzdu
Beginner

I resolved this issue by reinstalling driver to old version.

From bugged new to version 26.20.100.6888.

I tryed new 10_100.7755, 10_100.7463. Both have this irritating issue.

THIS PROBLEM IS ONLY IN DRIVER NOT HARDWARE OR OS :pile_of_poo:

Intel get to work

Tested on Dell Precision7720 i7-7920HQ, w10-1909

0 Kudos