Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Problems with Intel HD Graphics of the Intel® Core ™ i5-4200U processor, in Windows 10.

GUser
Novice

Hello, I would like to ask your attention a little, please.

I own an Acer Aspire E1-572 notebook, with the Intel® Core ™ i5-4200U 4th generation Intel® Core ™ i5 processor, 6GB ram, and a 120GB SSD (I contacted Acer, and they said that in this specific model, there is no modification/customization was done in the Intel HD Graphics driver, so I can and should use the drivers available at https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/81497/Gr-ficos-HD https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/81497/Gr-ficos-HD -Intel-4400).

As users of this topic, I have faced problems with some games in the versions 1709 and 1803 of Windows 10, they range from flickering to extreme clamping, and crashes; and although I have not tested it yet, I believe the problems have continued with the release of the 1809 version of Windows, and the 15.40.41.5058 driver. I tested only two drivers, 15.40.37.4835 and 15.40.38.4963... In particular, I face many problems with the game SMITE (free to play developed by Hi-Rez Studios, Titan Forge Games), because it is simply impossible to play. I have already tried to disable Windows 10 Game Mode, "Full Screen Optimizations" (of Windows, in 32-bit and 64-bit client 'Properties', and 'Compatibility'), limit the FPS to 60 using RTSS (Rivatuner Statistics Server), and run the game in both 32-bit and DirectX9 as well as 64-bit and DirectX11. The only scenarios where flickering and extreme crashes did not occur, were with the 64-bit game client, DirectX 11 and its V-Sync (native of the game) enabled, and/or with the game in 'window mode'; but both greatly diminish performance, are not ideal.

And finally, I would like to make two other observations:

I do not know if many users have reported this, but I realized a significant loss of Intel HD Graphics performance from my processor (Intel® Core ™ i5-4200U) when using the 15.40.38.4963 (and maybe 15.40.41.5058) driver, and this should certainly be related to the vulnerability security updates that were implemented according to the Release Notes presented in the official link (https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27780/eng/ReleaseNotes_15.40.38.4963.pdf%29%3B https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27780/eng/ReleaseNotes_15.40.38.4963.pdf); and this is a very bad thing for us... Because, while you try to fix performance issues with new drivers, you add security patches that hurt you, what is bad.

Another observation, from version 1703 of Windows 10 to the most current, several programs icons, and those that appear in the window 'User Account Control' are displayed in low resolution, something very uncomfortable visually, and I believe be a bug.

That's it folks, I hope you can pay attention to these problems by reproducing them in a testing environment, and fixing them in a future (AND SOON, PLEASE!) new driver; I think this is not a big challenge for you, and we users deserve that attention.

I await a positioning! Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
16 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello GlenUser,

Thank you for posting in our Intel ® Community.

I understand that you are facing graphic issues with your setup, let us do our best to assist you.

In order to isolate the issue we will need you to uninstall the current graphic drivers that your system has, until the basic Microsoft*display driver is exposed (please make sure that you will do it with no internet access)

After that, for troubleshooting purposes please install the OEM VGA Driver https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/4867?b=1 found here.

In order to do it, please go ahead and perform this update steps:

Unzip the file to a designated location or folder.

Open Device Manager:

For Windows 10: Right-click Windows Start icon

Click yes when prompted for permission from User Account Control.

Expand the Display adapters section.

Right-click the Intel® graphics entry and select Update Driver Software.

Click Browse my computer for driver software.

Click Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.

Click Have Disk.

Click Browse and select the directory where the driver files are located.

Click OK, and finally click Next.

Drivers are now being installed.

Restart your computer.

In addition, once that is done please provide me with the .txt file that the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-Best System Support Utility will generate. To attach a file, you must click the "Attach" option on the bottom right-hand corner of the response box.

I hope this helps, please let us know the outcome.

Regards,

Diego S.

GUser
Novice

Thanks for the answer.

Well, although I have not described this previously, I've already tested the OEM VGA Driver (https://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Driver/VGA/VGA_Intel_10.18.15.4248_W10x64_A.zip%3Facerid%3D635731556327741653%26Step1%3DNOTEBOOK%26Step2%3DASPIRE%26Step3%3DASPIRE%2520E1-572%26OS%3DALL%26LC%3Den%26BC%3DACER%26SC%3DPA_6 https://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Driver/VGA/VGA_Intel_10.18.15.4248_W10x64_A.zip?acerid=635731556327741653&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=ASPIRE&Step3=ASPIRE%20E1-572&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6) available for my model on the Acer support website. And the problems persisted! Also, as I mentioned before, I contacted Acer and they assured me that no customization was implemented in this version of the graphics driver, having only digital signatures from Intel.

Unfortunately, I can not provide a '.txt' document from the System Support Utility, since the issues faced in the latest versions of Windows 10 have forced me to use Windows 7 while new drivers bringing fixes are not released. And, you see, I believe this should not be a bad factor for solving these problems... As you can see, I have described in detail the problems I have faced with Intel HD Graphics of the Intel® Core™ i5-4200U 4th generation Intel® Core™ i5 processor in versions 1703+ of Windows 10; and several other users are also reporting problems with the latest drivers... Apparently, you have not made any modifications to make them properly compatible with the latest versions of Windows 10.

Please take a good look at this and the other complaints from users, we are all experiencing flickering problems with extreme clamping, and crashes; with an emphasis on games. The information is clear, you only need to reproduce the problems mentioned in a test environment with the Intel® HD Graphics 4400, and in my case the Intel® Core™ i5-4200U.

If you need any additional information, I will be happy to respond in detail. But, that's it... I hope you can do something, otherwise, me and other users will not be able to use Windows 10 properly.

Always waiting for answers!

Best regards,

Glender User

intel_corp

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello GlenUser,

Thank you for your response.

I totally understand that you had to rollback you OS due to the issue that you are experiencing.

In this case there are other details to analyze from the SSU report that we actually need, however we will try to replicate your issue with the details that we have so far using a Intel® HD Graphics 4400 machine.

I will reach you back as soon as I have news or if we need further information.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,

Diego Sanchez Campos.

Intel (R) Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel (R) Corporation

0 Kudos
GUser
Novice

Thanks for the answer!

I'm glad to hear that, your support is really important. I hope you can reproduce the (all) problems I mentioned in the first post; the serious problems in the execution of the game SMITE (free to play developed by Hi-Rez Studios, Titan Forge Games) involving flickering to extreme clamping, and crashes, the performance impaired with the vulnerability security updates, and the low resolution in the exhibition of images and icons of programs like those that appear in the 'User Account Control'. All issues are related to Windows 10 1703+ (1703, 1709, 1803, and possibly 1809) versions. I think it's important to know that I also noticed the same problems on some other computers using the 4th generation Intel® Core™ processor, so please, explore these flaws in detail as much as they can, we need a driver containing corrections.

Well, once again you said about how important the '.txt' document is from the System Support Utility... And like I said, I had to install Windows 7 while the drivers do not become compatible, but if need to, I can send the file containing the information, even if it is not ideal; just ask.

Always available, and waiting for answers!

Best regards,

Glender User

intel_corp

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello GlenUser,

I will keep you posted and reach you back as soon I have news.

Regards,

Diego Sanchez Campos.

0 Kudos
GUser
Novice

Thank you very much, all of us, users, we are waiting for good news!

intel_corp

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello GlenUser,

We are working on the issue replication; however we haven't been able to replicate the issue so far.

Please provide us with some extra details as follows our /thread/77761 Required information for reporting Graphics issues format

Regards,

Diego Sanchez Campos.

0 Kudos
GUser
Novice

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

I'm facing serious performance issues with some games, especially with SMITE (free to play developed by Hi-Rez Studios, Titan Forge Games)... They range from extreme flickering to crashes. I have already tried to disable Windows 10 Game Mode, "Full Screen Optimizations" (of Windows, in 32-bit and 64-bit client 'Properties', and 'Compatibility'), limit the FPS to 60 using RTSS (Rivatuner Statistics Server), and run the game in both 32-bit and DirectX9 as well as 64-bit and DirectX11. The only scenarios where extreme flickering and crashes did not occur, were with the 64-bit game client, DirectX 11 and its V-Sync (native of the game) enabled, and/or with the game in 'window mode'; but both greatly diminish performance, are not ideal. I tested three versions of drivers, 10.18.15.4248 (OEM VGA driver) (I contacted Acer, and they said that in this specific model, there is no modification/customization was done in the Intel HD Graphics driver, so I can and should use the drivers available at https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/81497/Gr-ficos-HD https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/81497/Gr-ficos-HD -Intel-4400), 15.40.37.4835 and 15.40.38.4963. These problems occur in versions 1709 and 1803 of Windows 10.

Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")<p> 

Always (100%): X

Often (51-99%):

Sporadic (20-50%):

Very Sporadic (<20%):

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Acer Aspire E1-572 Notebook.

Specifications: Intel® Core™ i5-4200U 4th generation Intel® Core™ i5 processor, 6GB ram, and a 120GB SSD.

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

Only the Intel HD Graphics 4400 of the Intel® Core™ i5-4200U 4th generation Intel® Core™ i5 processor.

<td style="padding: 0 5.4pt; border-top: none...
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello GlenUser,

I am currently working on it, I will reach you back soon, please wait for my post.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Diego Sanchez Campos.

0 Kudos
GUser
Novice

Thank you! I am waiting. Please report any progress you have made; and ask for more information if necessary.

Best regards,

Glender User

intel_corp

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello GlenUser,

We are still working into the reported issue, we will post you as soon as we have news.

In the meantime, have you tested the latest https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28164/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-33-?product=81499 Drivers for Intel® HD Graphics 4000?

Please perform a clean installation and let us know the results.

Regards,

Diego Sanchez Campos.

0 Kudos
GUser
Novice

Well... I'll wait.

And, I have tested only the latest drivers published for the Intel HD Graphics 4400 (available here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/81497/Intel-HD-Graphics-4400); in addition of course the OEM VGA driver 10.18.15.4248 (available here: https://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Driver/VGA/VGA_Intel_10.18.15.4248_W10x64_A.zip?acerid=635731556327741653&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=ASPIRE&Step3=ASPIRE% 20E1-572 & OS = ALL & LC = en & BC = ACER & SC = PA_3). I have never used a driver for the Intel HD Graphics 4000, only 4400; because my processor (Intel® Core™ i5-4200U 4th Generation Intel® Core™ i5 processor) uses an Intel HD Graphics 4400. And I always installed them correctly, with the so-called "clean installation"!

Best regards,

Glender User

intel_corp

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello GlenUser,Thank you for your response. I do apologize for the misunderstanding, my bad.

Can you please tell us, are you running the game locally, or from an online service such as steam?

Regards,

Diego Sanchez Campos.

0 Kudos
GUser
Novice

It's all right. The game is a MOBA Online, it needs to be downloaded, it can be installed by the installer directly from the developer or by Steam, and when installed occupies a space of about 15GB. I have placed the download links in previous posts.

It's all right.

Best regards,

Glender User

intel_corp

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello GlenUser,

Thank you for your patience.

We have been trying to replicate your issue with 2 systems with the same

Intel® HD Graphics 4400:

Intel ® D34010WYK

Thinkpad x1 carbon 2014 (Lenovo*)

I regret to inform you that we have not been able to reproduce the issue just yet; however I will keep working on it.

At this point it will be necessary the SSU report as shared before even if you are working with Windows 7*.

As well let us know, have you tried to run the game in compatibility mode?

Regards,

Diego Sanchez Campos.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello GlenUser,

We just wanted to double check if you still need further assistance.

Please do not hesitate on contacting us back.

Best Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos