Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20638 Discussions

Radeon RX Vega M GL driver update fails (Intel Core i7-8795G) con't

TechmeQs
Beginner

Using Windows 11, latest updates,

After following instructions from a previous thread , I was able to install the graphics driver. However, this method does not update the actual Radeon Software app.

>The issue is the app launches multiple copies of itself. 

When i try to install the update from the intel website, I receive the error message in the screen shot. 

My PC OEM manufacturer (HP) instructs to use the intel software, as they have stopped providing updates to this graphics chip back in 2019. 

My second issue is the red number one update notification that appears over the Intel Driver and Support assistant icon in taskbar menu. 

Further, I've been experiencing system crashes lately while using graphics heavy apps and i suspect this discrepancy may be to blame. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
46 Replies
TechmeQs
Beginner

Hi Jean, 

Thanks for your replies so far. 

For starters, please forget about the business with the NUC and its drivers, i don't think i brought that topic into this discussion, it's not applicable, i'm aware. If i tried the NUC drivers it was once back in 2018 well before numerous updates and has been completely removed with fresh installs of appropriate graphics drivers, so i'm quite certain this is a non-issue. 

Second, the HP driver you reference in your last post is 1.not the windows DCH driver, and 2. not the latest release of the appropriate radeon driver you're referencing. Is this because you think i need a fresh install? I started with a fresh install of the appropriate HP-made radeon drivers and installed sequentially through the intel-made radeon drivers until i hit a roadblock with this latest Radeon Driver, which is when i followed the steps i referenced in my first post in this thread. That post indicates that i was able to install the graphics driver but not the updated radeon software that accompanies the graphics driver. And at least one issue is the software replicates itself. 

Importantly, HP recommends using the Intel Support Assistant for maintaining drivers for intel released hardware installed on their machines. You can in the screen shot i've attached from a help-thread on their HP website forum a comment made by an HP employee.

So hopefully you can understand my confusion here, because the Intel Driver and Support Assistant recommends installing the latest driver released for the i7-8705G:

Version: 30.0.13037.4001

Release date: December 27, 2021

Size:786.86 MB

And Intel HD Graphics 630:

• Provider Intel Corporation
  • Version31.0.101.2111
  • Date 7/19/2022

If HP tells their customers to use Intel drivers and Intel has been releasing drivers that work for HP machines, with the sole exception of this latest radeon graphics driver, surely everyone will rely on Intel to release the drivers and not HP. 

Further, the intel driver and support assistant indicates my machine should use the driver versions i listed above. 

Thank you again for all your help!

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello TechmeQs,

I hope you are doing fine.

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello TechmeQs,

In my previous post, I suggested a clean installation of the driver as I believed the Nuc drivers may still be installed on your system. However, since you mentioned that you have already tried it with the HP and Intel drivers, it will not be necessary.

Based on the report you provided, the driver installed on your system is version 31.0.101.2111; it is a generic driver optimized to work with our Intel Integrated graphics. Could you try installing driver 30.0.13037.4001, as this one is optimized to work with your Radeon™ RX Vega M GL Graphics? Please confirm if the Radeon software version is still 2021.0721.0749.14084, as stated in the screenshot you provided.

Based on the HP comment, you mentioned that they recommended using the AMD Auto Detect Tool. Have you tried this option before?

To continue our investigation, provide me with a video showing the crashing problems and app issues. It will help us determine how the applications are crashing.  Also, check that no other heavy workload programs are running in the background while playing.

• Open the Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc).
  • Click the CPU and Memory tabs to check whether anything is using up large chunks of your CPU or RAM (for instance, a web browser with many tabs open).

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
TechmeQs
Beginner

Hello Jean O., 

I've attached a screen shot which shows the Display Manager driver versions for the two display adapter drivers i have installed. These dialog boxes are positioned on top of the Radeon Software app which shows its current version. 

The AMD auto detect tool does not work for my machine, it does not have the appropriate hardware. 

I'll see about getting a video of the freeze. But in the mean time, i can try describing the occurrence. If Steam freezes, for instance, i can start+tab out and open task manager, however task manager does not display all the names in the background processes list, the rows are just blank in the name column. However, the CPU column shows as 100 percent. During this occurrence i don't have any other applications running, just background processes...web browsers, email client, etc.. all closed (and i don't mean minimized). Task manager won't force close Steam, either, at this point. I have to hard-reset the machine to get it to reboot, or shut down. 

0 Kudos
TechmeQs
Beginner

System crash again, I was able to grab a screen cap of task manager just before BSOD which gave the error irql_not_less_or_equal

As you can see there are a couple processes that don't display any names. 

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello TechmeQs,

Thanks for the information provided.

I appreciate the detailed description of your issue with the Steam application. However, I would like to have the video showing the error step by step. Also, I would recommend trying basic Troubleshooting and reinstalling the application to confirm if the issue persists.

Also, I found troubleshooting steps from Microsoft related to your BSOD message; try them and see if it improves your system stability:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/how-to-fix-error-0xa-irql-not-less-or-equal-fd19c7fc-89d2-67a5-4fb0-a1f8bd1f0202

Best regards,

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello TechmeQs,

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
TechmeQs
Beginner

Hello Jean, 

It's not possible to record a video of my machine when the issue occurs because it completely freezes. Even the audio gets caught in a short loop and repeats until i perform a hard power reboot. 

I followed your post. The link you posted regarding Microsoft's troubleshooting steps for fixing BSOD error "error irql_not_less_or_equal" --I perform a windows update check daily. All my drivers are up to date. 

The issue is the latest intel driver release for Radeon RX Vega M G.L and its coupled Radeon Software for the CPU-GPU combination chip i7-8705G has not been fixed. There are numerous reports online that this update Version: 30.0.13037.4001 Release date: December 27, 2021 was faulty upon release and does not install.  

There's a bigger business issue at play here, regarding Intel's partnership with HP and Customers expectations of service from doing business with these companies. 

I bought this machine brand new in June of 2018--not cheap, either. 

As i mentioned in previous posts in this thread, HP has not released an update for the graphics since March of 2019.

That means HP provided less than one year of graphics driver updates.

HP has instructed their customers to use the Intel-released graphics drivers--as you can see from the links i've provided in other posts in this thread. 

And in fact Intel has released four versions of this driver since, with only the latest release not installing properly on my machine. 

It seems HP and their customers have been under the impression that Intel will continue to support their processors with driver updates.

You've mentioned that Intel is still providing support for this CPU/GPU combination chip i7-8705G. 

As a side note, and perhaps not your issue, but HP claiming they don't support windows 11 on my machine is absurd, since they initially released a statement saying windows 11 update would work on this machine, and i updated in reliance of their statement, and it's not possible to downgrade now. 

So I ask, will Intel release an updated driver patch for i7-8705G so i can install the latest driver and software properly on my machine? Because this driver version 30.0.13037.4001 is clearly having issues and i'm not the only one who has posted about experiencing this issue. 

Thank you for your support so far. 

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello TechmeQs,

Thank you for the information provided.  

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II

Try the latest APU driver, provided by Asrock

https://download.asrock.com/Drivers/AMD/VGA/AMD_VGA(v22.20.24.220816a).zip

It comes without SUBSYS_IDs

"%AMD694E.1%" = ati2mtag_VegaM, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_694E&REV_C0
AMD694E.1 = "Radeon RX Vega M GL Graphics"

0 Kudos
TechmeQs
Beginner

I have an Intel CPU, why would this work? 

If it comes without that subsys ID, wouldn't that mean it doesn't work?

0 Kudos
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II

Quite the contrary - the SUBSYS_IDs inside the driver provided by Intel are the culprit why it fails on your system.

For reference: i had installed the aforementioned APU driver on a random Acer laptop successfully.

Actually the purpose of SUBSYS_IDs had puzzled me a long time as well, until i found following article:

https://uefi.org/PNP_ACPI_Registry

"Both PNP ID and ACPI ID consist of two parts: a Vendor ID, followed by a product identifier. Each manufacturer of these devices must be assigned an industry-unique Vendor ID... The Device Manufacturer is responsible for assigning this identifier to each individual product MODEL. Once an identifier is assigned to a product model, it must not be assigned to any other product model manufactured by the same company (that is, that uses the same Vendor ID)." 

0 Kudos
rehannnq1
Beginner

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities.  

Based on our release notes for the driver version 30.0.13037.4001, it states that the driver package contains improvements update on AMD Radeon Software for user experience. So we want to confirm if you follow the driver installation steps provided on the previous thread you visited:

0 Kudos
TechmeQs
Beginner

I don't understand your post or your question. Please refer to my initial post in this thread. 

0 Kudos
VictorV
Beginner

Ohh dear @TechmeQs

I understand you so well. In this post me and others have waited so long for Intel to provide drivers for Vega m gl.

And when they did, I was so disappointed, again. Only freeze and crash.

My system is DELL XPS 9575, which I can guess is the most expensive device with this Intel-AMD progeny.

Nevertheless, not Dell, nor Intel, gives a fck.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello TechmeQs,

Thanks for waiting for a response.

We are still investigating this matter; however, I would like to know the following info:

When you mention "with only the latest release not installing properly on my machine. " This means all the driver versions until the 4001 which is recent from intel for RX Vega have been working fine?

Can you just downgrade the driver so it works fine for the time being?

Since you mention "graphics-heavy apps" can this issue be replicated with any game? Does this happen every single time you run an application?

Just to check if I understand this correctly, are you asking whether there will be a new driver version that fixes this particular issue that persists within our latest vega graphics driver?

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello TechmeQs,

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
TechmeQs
Beginner

Hello, i am still monitoring this issue. Windows released the 22h2 update which i have installed. And HP released a bios update early last month which i've also installed. 

I've only used the application that was crashing twice since the windows update and have not had the same BSOD issue yet or total machine freezing issue, so i will monitor and report back with any news. 

The screenshot shows the current software version i have installed on my machine. I had to use the install method described in the forum post i linked to in my first post in this thread to get the software and drivers installed. However, the update flag on Intel Driver and Support assistant persists on my machine. 

<<AMD Radeon Software Version: 2021.1203.1435.26251 copyright 2021 AMD, inc. >>

And the Driver version: 
21.10.03.11-210721a-369951C

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello TechmeQs,

It is important to mention that the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (Intel® DSA) offers a subset of the drivers and software available on our Download Center. The Intel® DSA detects that the driver you have installed is not the latest one listed on the Intel website.

I would keep this thread open for you to monitor the issue. Let me know if you face any other issues or if the old problems reappear.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello TechmeQs,

Have you faced any issues with the time you have monitored your unit?

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
TechmeQs
Beginner
The machine still freezes and crashes.
0 Kudos