Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20495 Discussions

Refresh rate dropping when playing videos

VPupk
Beginner

Hello!

I have built in HD Graphics 3000 (latest driver from 2015, as well as the discrete GPU's) on Core i3-2350M. The OS is windows 7 Pro SP1. I'm using a second monitor attached to the laptop with the monitor set as the only active screen with a refresh rate of 75 Hz. When I'm trying to play a movie in a software video player in fullscreen mode, the stupid graphics driver is arbitrarily dropping the refresh rate to 65 Hz. Peculiar thing is that it happens only with the option Exclusive fullscreen mode set in the player's settings. This option is critical to me and must be on. Another peculiarity is it didn't happen with the previous version of the driver (from 2011), only with the new one.

I want an Intel representative to tell me why it is happening and how to fix it.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello VPupkin,

Thank you for posting; it will be more than a pleasure to assist you.

In order for me to assist you better, please provide me with the .txt file that the System Support Utility will generate. To attach a file, you must click the "Attach" option on the bottom right-hand corner of the response box.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

I hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
VPupk
Beginner

Is there a different way for me to provide you with the system information? I'm very wary about installing any extra software with closed source code.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello VPupkin,

Thank you for your response.

In this case, please provide us with :

Graphics Driver version from Intel ® GPU and version from discrete graphic card.

Secondary monitor's brand and model

Video player's name and version (Software)

Discrete card model

Full system model (laptop)

I hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
VPupk
Beginner

Here it is:

- Intel GPU driver version 9.17.10.4229 dated 26.05.2015

- Nvidia GPU driver version 23.21.13.9135 dated 23.03.2018

- monitor (using it as primary) Samsung SyncMaster 795DF (CRT)

- player MPC-BE version 1.5.2 (build 3788) beta + madVR renderer version 0.92.14 (the bug comes with this renderer exactly)

- GPU Nvidia GeForce GT 630M

- laptop Lenovo Ideapad Z570 (model 20095)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello VPupkin

Thank you for response.

Based on the components that you own, driver versions and OS that you are running, our troubleshooting options are going to be pretty limited as the last one mentioned is out of interactive support (OS).

In this case we strongly suggest you to roll back to the previous driver versions from 2011 that did not present any issue with the actual video player in full screen mode, found here under Display and Video Graphics:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/cz/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/ideapad-z-series-laptops/ideapad-z570/downloads https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/cz/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/ideapad-z-series-laptops/ideapad-z570/downloads

As well, we recommend you to contact both OEM and software developer, so they can work on the issue replication with their system and the beta version of MPC-BE*.

Another thing that you can try is to look for a version of the madVR* prior the renderer version 0.92.14.

Here's Lenovo support contact:

https://support.lenovo.com/cz/en/

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
VPupk
Beginner

Diego, I know it well that I can rollback to a previous driver version and also am I aware what the address of Lenovo support is, and I could try it all without talking to you, but this is all irrelevant here. I want the system to work with the new drivers, and Lenovo isn't helping me with that.

The reason I wrote to you is that this bug is your driver's fault. The player with any renderer is not dropping the refresh rate by itself and the OS is not dropping it without an explicit order. It's your driver that does it, and I saw the other owner's complaints about it on the forums. And as you are the driver developer, you must check out the driver's code and find out why exactly it is happening or what reason can make the driver do such an act. So I want you to stop shifting responsibility on someone else, which you are definitely trying to do, contact your driver developers and find the reason of this behaviour.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello VPupkin,

In this case our drivers from 2015 Version: 15.28.24.4229 (Latest) are only generic drivers, that are not customized for your OEM equipment.

On the other hand, the drivers from 20111 that we shared are customized for your device, that's where the recommendation to contact you computer manufacturer for issue replication is coming from.

In this case we do not guarantee to provide a new driver version (or fix) for an OS that is not longer supported.

I hope this helps,

Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
VPupk
Beginner

What do you mean by generic and customized? What exactly is it customized for and who customizes it? And what is this generic intended for?

And what are you calling OEM equipment? The laptop? Its other components?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello VPupkin

When we say OEM, we refer to your Original Equipment Manufacturer (Lenovo*)

In this case, Lenovo* manufactures, sells, and supports computer systems based on Intel® technology such as your Intel® Core™ i3-2350M, to be specific. If you are experiencing issues with, or have questions about your computer system, the system manufacturer is the best source of support.

Intel ® provides generic versions of software and drivers, these versions are intended to work on Intel® based systems, and Intel ® graphic controllers. However, our generic drivers are missing of customizations and digital brandings provided by your OEM.

OEM drivers may have altered features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes in order to work with your system.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
VPupk
Beginner

You say drivers are intended to work on Intel based systems, and Intel graphic controllers. I have an Intel CPU with Intel embedded graphics and an Intel chipset on the motherboard, so it's completely Intel based and you are responsible for the driver to work on it without any customizations. What is it not working, I'm asking you?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You were told what to do above. You obstinance is not going to get you anywhere. Do not install drivers downloaded from the Intel site. Start with the drivers that were provided by your board/system manufacturer.

...S

0 Kudos
VPupk
Beginner

First, I asked Diego, not you.

Second, my "obstinance" is actually a demand of the company to respond for their product properly.

Third, what you are doing is called advocacy, which is both disgusting and irrelevant here. That man didn't hire you as an advocate and can speak by himself. So if you got nothing useful to say here, be quiet. And if you continue with irrelevant posts, I'll report you for violating the rules.

And for argument's sake - those manufacturer drivers are . They had the same problem while I was using them and in addition they caused high DPC latencies which affected video playback badly.

Edited by AL Hill for language usage.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

VPupkin, we have rules here, and you do not get to dictate what is done, who can respond, and the language that you use.

Doc

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello VPupkin,

Thank you for patience.

Please note that Intel ® stopped supporting the Intel HD Graphics 3000. What this means is that we are no longer going to address bugs or issues on this platform. I'll leave this thread open for other community members to chime in and try to help, however do not expect further assistance from the Intel Support Staff.

For more details on Intel HD Graphics 3000 discontinuance announcement, please visit:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005733/graphics-drivers.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005733/graphics-drivers.html

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos