Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20603 Discussions

Repeated issues with Black Screen on startup Part 4

GarhenChiu
Beginner
I have had a reoccurring issue where I would suddenly receive a black screen on boot up, with no way to fix except for reinstalling windows entirely for a temporary solution.
However after a few weeks the issue always comes back.
I have made inquiries about this in a previous post, where information can be located here. https://community.intel.com/t5/Graphics/Installation-of-Intel-Graphics-WIndows-10-11-DCH-Drivers-causes/m-p/1351160/emcs_t/S2h8ZW1haWx8dG9waWNfc3Vic2NyaXB0aW9ufEtZRDRYNzc5OUpCRjl8MTM1MTE2MHxTVUJTQ1JJUFRJT05TfGhL#M104695
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
18 Replies
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @GarhenChiu

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We have reviewed all the information in the previous threads and all the troubleshooting that you have tried so far. However, we would like to have some additional details. Please kindly provide us with the following information:

1- We understand that the black screen problem happens only when installing a graphics driver or after a boot. Just to make sure, does the screen remains all black when this issue happens? If yes, how do you revert the screen to normal? (For instance, do you need to manually force shutdown? do you need to unplug and plug back the video cable? etc)

Or, does the screen returns to normal operation (showing image) after some seconds/minutes? Please provide details

2- In one of the previous threads, our team recommended testing with different video ports, different cables, and/or different displays. Were you able to try those steps? If yes, could you please provide more details about the tests and the outcomes?

3- Just to make sure, are you using a straight-through connection with a single cable to connect the display? (For instance, HDMI-to-HDMI or DisplayPort*-to-DisplayPort).

Or are you using any type of video/cable adapters, converters, or dockings? Please provide details.

4- As per previous recommendations, were you able to test the CPU on another compatible motherboard? Or were you able to test the motherboard with another processor? If yes, please provide details and the models of the other components that you tested:

5- Please provide a new Intel® SSU scan so we can have an updated report of the system and its current state:

• Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.
  • Once you have saved the file (.txt file), please attach it to your reply.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
GarhenChiu
Beginner

1. When I boot the pc, it shows the motherboard logo as normal, but after that it turns into a complete black screen. I can still enter automatic repair. When the issue occurs, I do indeed do a forced shutdown when it happens, but the screen does not return to normal. The only ways I have successfully returned the screen to normal are entering safe mode and using DDU to uninstall graphics drivers, or the nuclear option of reinstalling windows, which I have done countless times. Even after reinstalling windows, the issue reoccurs randomly after a few weeks. So for the past few months I have just been reinstalling windows everytime it happens, which is only a temporary solution.

2. I was only able to try different HDMI cables, as I only have 1 monitor that has a single HDMI port. The results were unchanged.

3. I am using straight HDMI to HDMI from my pc to my monitor.

4. Unfortunately I do not have another motherboard or processor to test with.

5. I have provided the new SSU below.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello GarhenChiu

Thank you for your response and for all the details. Please allow us to review this further and we will be posting back in the thread as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello GarhenChiu

After reviewing this further and since the issue occurs on different drivers (OEM drivers from ASRock and our generic latest drivers) and we don't have any other similar reports about it we can say that this is not a driver issue.

It is possible that the motherboard has a defective HDMI port. We understand that you only have 1 monitor that has a single HDMI port. However, could you please try with the DisplayPort instead? Perhaps using a DP-to-HDMI cable/adapter if available?

It is important to try another video output so we can discard an issue with the HDMI port.

Otherwise, could you try with a different motherboard?

We think that it is recommended to try a different board since it does not seem related to the drivers and is unlikely the integrated GPU is defective (even though it is still possible). Therefore, we would like to recommend this if you are able to try it now. We are aware that you said in a previous post that you didn't have another motherboard at that moment but if there is a chance to do it now that will be great in order to rule out the motherboard as the cause of the issue.

If the issue persists using different video ports and a different motherboard, please let us know. (In case you test with a different motherboard, please provide us with the maker, model, and BIOS version of the board you tested).

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
GarhenChiu
Beginner

Thank you for providing this information to help with troubleshooting.

Ideally, I do not want to buy another motherboard as that is the only way I can try with a different motherboard, so I will try with a display port to HDMI converter.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello GarhenChiu

Sure, you're very welcome and thank you for your response. Perfect, please let us know any feedback once you test with the display port to HDMI converter.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello GarhenChiu

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you were able to test with the DisplayPort to HDMI converter? Was the behavior different?

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
GarhenChiu
Beginner
I had ordered the converter from Best Buy a few days ago, and am still waiting it to arrive, which it should in the next few days. If that fails, I have also convinced my relative to lend me a graphics card to test the outputs from those ports instead. Hopefully I will find the solution soon.
0 Kudos
GarhenChiu
Beginner

My converter has arrived, and now I only need to wait for the issue occur again. I am currently in the state where the computer functions normally, but it the issue has always reoccurred a few weeks after a fresh reinstall. Once the error happens again I will update you on the results of the converter.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello GarhenChiu

Thank you for your response and for the details. Glad to know you have now the adapter to test.

We will be waiting for your feedback to see if this works fine through DisplayPort with the DP to HDMI adapter.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello GarhenChiu

We are checking the thread and we would like to know if the system is still working fine using the DP to HDMI* adapter or if the issue also happens with this adapter? If you need more time to test, please let us know.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
GarhenChiu
Beginner
Thank you for checking in on my situation.

Unfortunately I have not been able to test if the DP to HDMI converter has any difference, as the issue has not occurred again.
This issue has been quite tedious to troubleshoot as the issue itself is very inconsistent and seems to appear at random intervals. Fortunately that also means it is currently working normally for now. However as I have said before that is not a permanent state as it has, without fail reoccurred no matter how many times I reinstall my operating system.

I will get back to you with results of the converter as soon as I am able to encounter the issue again.
0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello GarhenChiu

Thank you for the update on the situation. Ok, no problem. Please feel free to share any new detail regarding the behavior. If you have any other inquiries, please don't hesitate to contact us back.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
GarhenChiu
Beginner
A have somewhat of an update which may change a lot. I am no longer using an HDMI into my motherboard nor am I using integrated graphics or their drivers. I have recently obtained an AMD Radeon 6600xt and have started to use it and an HDMI into it instead. I do not know how this will affect my issue but I hope it may resolve it entirely, although I will still update you if my issue still reoccurs.
0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello GarhenChiu

Thank you for your response and for the update.

We hope that the new video card helps to remediate the issue and allows the use of the system as expected.

However, the idea of testing the DisplayPort port on the motherboard is to rule out an issue specific to the HDMI port (either testing with a DP-to-DP cable or using the DP-to-HDMI adapter). So, if you later have any additional feedback regarding that test, please feel free to post back in the thread.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello GarhenChiu

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance or if you have additional feedback to share regarding the behavior. Or, has the issue been solved using the discrete video card? If so, would like to consider this thread solved?

If you have any other inquiries, please don't hesitate to contact us back.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
GarhenChiu
Beginner

Thank you for checking in.

As of now, I have had zero issue regarding the black screen. I assume that the discrete video card may have solved it entirely. I may have been unable to check with the display port adapter, but I am just glad that my system is fully working. If any other issues pop up in the future, I will be sure to open another thread and gladly ask for assistance again.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello GarhenChiu

Thank you for your response and for the feedback. We are glad to know that the issue is solved after switching to the discrete video card and that the system is fully working. Having said that, we will proceed to close the thread now.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. We will be glad to help.

It has been a pleasure to assist you.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos