Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20620 Discussions

Samsung Odyssey G8 OLED with Intel UHD 620 on Dell Latitude 7490

ShockwaveGT
Novice

Hey all,

My laptop is having a bad time working well with this new monitor. The monitor supports DP alt mode via USB C but besides charging and connecting to other USB devices via the monitor, the laptop fails to use the monitor as an actual monitor. Not much better via mini HDMI where the supported displays on the dell laptop do not include the native 3440x1440 as an option.

I've updated my drivers to best of my abilities but I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong (which I am). Any help suggestions on how to resolve the issue?

PS: The monitor is usable if I change the aspect ration to 16:9, however, I get two large black bars at the end of the monitor now...

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Carlos_L_Intel
Employee

Hi @ShockwaveGT,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I'm sorry for the inconvenience this might have caused you. Please help me with the following information in order to assist you: 

• Are you using a straight cable into the port, or are you using any type of adapter or docking station?  
  •  Did this ever work? Were there any recent changes?  
  •  To get more information from your system, please install the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU): https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- Open the application and select "Everything" click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View". Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View". Click on "Next", save the report and attach it to your response.

Best regards, 

Carlos L.  

Intel Customer Support Technician.

ShockwaveGT
Novice

Hi Carlos,

My Dell Latitude 7490 (Intel Core i7-8650U) supports the 3440x1440 at 30 hz on my old Alienware AW3418DW via HDMI 1.4 cable.

I am using a single cable that goes from HDMI to Micro HDMI (Samsung Odyssey G8 Oled connector). The HDMI the Samsung supports is 2.1. As a result, the laptop is only able to recognize 16:9 resolutions but no 21:9 resolution options (2560x1440 > 3440x1440). Funny enough though is that the Intel Graphics Command Center knows that 3440x1440 is supported by the monitor at 60 hz but does not offer it as an option to me to choose... 😞

Here are the specs for the OLED monitor: https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/37022ea3

As of now, I can only choose 16:9 resolutions on the monitor via my Latitude. The monitor has no issue being detected by my personal computer which has an Nvidia RTX 4090 and displays 21:9.

Let me what we can do to get this support on the UHD Graphics 620.

Chris

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Plug the monitor into the USB-C port and then run IDSA again. We need to know how it is being seen by the system and drivers.

...S

ShockwaveGT
Novice

Good morning all,

Thank you for the advice with the USB C cable. A USB C 3.1 cable resolved the resolution issues I was having via HDMI to the new monitor. A bit strange but I suppose it might have something to do with the 1.4 and 2.1 not being 100% compatible.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Carlos_L_Intel
Employee

Hi @ShockwaveGT,

Thank you for the update. I am glad that it is working for you. Are there any other questions or would you like me to close this thread for now?

Best regards,

Carlos L.
Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello ShockwaveGT,  

After checking your thread, I would like to know if you need further assistance. 

If so, please let me know. 

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello ShockwaveGT,  

I was checking your thread and see that we have not heard back from you.  

I’m going to close your post, but if you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to create a new thread. 

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos