Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20739 Discussions

Scaling of app display in Dell XPS 13

RRadh1
Beginner

I have a Dell XPS 13 display driver 20.19.15.4444 (Beta but I also had this issue with all drivers to date)

I have a scaling issue.

- If I boot my machine not connected to a monitor, all apps are scaled correctly within the laptop screen,

- Once I connect it to a Monitor, the scaling for some apps doesn't adjust.

- To resolve, if I want to work with external monitor, I need to to reboot my machine WHILE CONNECTED TO AN EXTERNAL MONITOR to ensure that the scaling of the apps correctly adjusts for the external monitor.

- Same happens if I go back to laptop screen if I unplug the external monitor ie the resolution is far too small in some apps and I have to reboot the laptop to get correct scaling back for apps in laptop screen.

I HATE THAT I HAVE TO REBOOT TO DO THIS. Is there not a way without rebooting to 'reset' scaling for a display. Below image is an example of the scaling issue. IE is scaled poorly and Firefox is properly scaled.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi tringo007,

It is necessary to plug the monitor to your system before turn it on. If you unplug the monitor or connect it later, the operating system loses monitor resolutions and it is necessary to reboot the computer.

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
RRadh1
Beginner

This is very disappointing and archaic. With all the new software capabilities and technology, very hard to believe I have to reboot my machine just to connect to an external monitor to acquire the proper resolution. This really should be a standard feature in these drivers.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi tringo007,

I regret for the inconvenience. Hopefully in the future the hand shake between the external monitors and pc will be better in the future.

Regards,

Mike C

0 Kudos