Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20947 Discussions

Screen goes black randomly with Intel HD 4600 (Laptop)

HPoll2
Beginner

Hi everyone, i have a little problem with i guess is the graphic's card from my Laptop. I will try to summarize it:

With Windows 7 (a clean install) the screen was turning black and then returns to normal after 1 second (the sound and eveything works on that little second) and sometimes the screen flickers (very instantaneous). This was extremely random (from occurring each 8 hours playing heavy games, to occurring many times in a minute using the Event Viewer from Windows!).

After some time, i have started using Windows 10 (a clean install) and the problem dissapears, but it occurs sometimes with some games (Sims 4, Portal 2, very frequent in Rise of Nations EE). In the Counter Strike Global Offensive the problem stops occuring completely when "Triple Buffer Vsync" is activated (i think this is important). Now it occurs less frequently in those games than before.

The problem is neither the screen flex/cable, the drivers (occurs with new versions or olds) nor the heat/fans.

A friend of mine told me that it's probably the driver from the power supply (giving more Volts than the necessary).

I attach all the files necessary for a diagnosis (with the specs from my Laptop).

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

4600 HD displays , flickers, goes black, artifacts.

Does it fail every single time, or only sometimes?

If you can offer a % rate please do.

Windows 10: sometimes on some games (each 40 minutes).

Windows 7: very frequent, even on the desktop

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

Neither AMD nor NV

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below). 

LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)

EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

LFP

How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below).

4GB DDR3 800MhZ

<td style="padding: 0 5.4pt; border-width: 0px 1pt 1pt 0px; border-style: none solid solid none; border-right-color: windowtext; border-bottom-color: windowtext; font-styl...
0 Kudos
10 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello, Del_Emiliano:

Thank you for contacting Intel Communities.

All the information provided is indeed very useful.

Let me get this reviewed to perform some tests on our end, I will keep you posted.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
HPoll2
Beginner

Thanks, i'll be waiting.

Yesterday, i have installed the latest drivers (20.19.15.4380), and when playing Counter Strike Global Offensive the screen has blacked out (during 1 second of course) after 1 hour of gameplay.

It's very strange all of this. I'm reverting the drivers to the 20.19.15.4331 again.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Del_Emiliano:

After performing tests on our end, the replication of his was not present/doable.

What was done:

* First used only LFP (laptop panel) and ran the games, no flickering or artifacts.

* Then connected a 27inch Acer monitor via HDMI and set is as Single Display (LFP off). Ran the game, no flickering or artifacts detected.

* All tests were done with game resolution set to 1280x720 Full Screen.

Some suggestions for you:

* Test by lowering the game resolution (graphical settings in-game).

* Test by connecting to an external monitor.

Tested with Call of Duty Black Ops 2 and Portal 2.

Driver version: 20.19.15.4331

Regarding the screen turning baclk and then turning on on a clean Windows 7* installation, is this happening without the drivers loaded?

I look forward to hearing from you on the outcome with this.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
HPoll2
Beginner

Thanks for the reply, i will test with Windows 7 with generic drivers from Windows and answer as soon as posible. The problems occurs with differents resolutions too.

Anyway, i have discovered something:

When the Laptop is on battery alone, the problem does not occurs (Games on Windows 10 and Windows 7)!

When the laptop is plugged, the problem occurs.

But, when i set (on the Power Options from the Intel Graphics Control Panel) the "plugged in" mode to "maximum battery's life", the problem vanishes too. Also, the framerates from the games descends (from 59-60 to 29-40, but i don't care for it). It makes me wonder that the problem is on the changes applied on those options or in the power supply.

How can i see the parameters/changes that are produced when the options from "Powe Options" are changed?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Del_Emiliano:

Thank you for your answer on this.

Are you able to test the system with a different power supply? and maybe test it after unplugging the battery with the power brick only.

I look forward to your outcome with this and Windows 7* tests.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
HPoll2
Beginner

Hi, the problem on windows 7 appears with the machine just plugged (not battery).

The problem vanishes when I uninstall the driver of the graphic.

I can't test with another power supply.

Sorry for the lateness.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, Del_Emiliano:

Some additional troubleshooting that you can perform.

- A BIOS update to the latest availalble

- Access the BIOS and load defaults

To find instructions on how to update your BIOS visit: http://www.bangho.com.ar/Soporte/Mesa?ft=soporte http://www.bangho.com.ar/Soporte/Mesa?ft=soporte

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, Del_Emiliano:

Thought I would just check in and find out if you were able to resolve this problem with the troubleshooting provided.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
HPoll2
Beginner

Hello, unfortunately none of those options have worked. The machine is still on warranty so i will have to carry it there (can't do it right now because i really need it for work and study).

Thank you very much for your time and efforts.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I am sorry to hear the problem is still present Del_Emiliano, it would be good to check the physical components of the unit to find out if one of them is faulty, so the warranty check is a good way to go in this case (they probably will check them).

If any additional questions or inquiries are present, feel free to contact us back.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos