Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20980 Discussions

Second monitor has lower resolution after update

lalaith
Beginner

I have a Dell Inspiron 15 3000 laptop with a BenQ GW2765 monitor attached via HDMI.  Up until last week, I was able to run the second monitor with 2560 x 1440 resolution.  On either Thursday (9/14) or Friday (9/15), while I was out of the room, something changed (an update being applied, possibly?) and when I came back in, the monitor was at 1920x1080 and the option for 2560x1440 had disappeared from the Display Settings menu.  I was able to roll back the graphics driver at that point, and that restored the 2560x1440 option.  However, today the same thing happened again - again while I was out of the room, the resolution changed to 1920x1080, and I no longer have the option to change it back.  I've tried updating the driver, rolling it back, downloading a new one from Intel, downloading an older one from Intel - nothing is working.  What can I try now?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello lalaith,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I can imagine how frustrating this is for you. 

To have a better view of this issue, please provide the following:

1. What is the operating system installed as well as the version and build?

2. Have you tried a different connection (DP, thunderbolt, VGA)?

3. Is the issue present with Intel or Dell drivers?

4. What is the BIOS version installed?

5. Have you checked this behavior with Dell? They may implement an update to limit the laptop features.

6. What is the brand and model name of your processor?

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
lalaith
Beginner

Hi Deivid,

1. I am running Windows 11 Pro, version 22H2, build 22621.2283

2. No, I only have one connector cable

3. I'm fairly sure all of the drivers I've tried have come from Windows updates or directly from Intel.  The device name is Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics.

4. The BIOS version is 1.24.0

5. No, I haven't looked for anything Dell-specific, since rolling back the driver worked previously

6. The processor is 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1135G7 @ 2.40GHz 2.42 GHz

Thanks,

Lalaith

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello lalaith, 

Thanks for the response. Based on this issue and the response provided, I recommend trying the following:

1. Ask to test the driver from the Dell website. This is because the drivers from Dell are customized to work perfectly with their devices.

2. Check for any firmware update available for the monitor.

3. Try, if possible, to set a custom resolution using the Intel® Graphics Command Center:

4. Try a clean installation of the driver version 31.0.101.4826 (newest) and 31.0.101.4672 (oldest) available.

5. Try to check with Dell to confirm if they implemented a resolution limitation on their recent updates.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello lalaith, 

I am following up to confirm if the recommendations provided help you or to know if the issue persists. Let me know if you need further support.

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello lalaith,  

I was checking your thread and noticed that we have not heard back from you. I’m going to close your post, but if you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to create a new thread. 

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
Arturo_Intel

Hi @lalaith 

Did you try with the latest driver? (101.4885)

It seems to be fixed on that version, at least is what I am getting from other cases similar to yours.

Can you give it a try?

0 Kudos
lalaith
Beginner

Hi Arturo,

I just installed 4885 and unfortunately it still has not resolved my issue.  1920x1080 is still the highest it will go.

Thanks,

Lalaith

0 Kudos