Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20657 Discussions

Seeking Assistance: Lag Issues with Video Editing and Recording Software (OBS and Capcut)

Mau123
Novice

Hello everyone,

I trust this message finds you well.

I am currently experiencing lag issues while attempting to edit videos using Capcut or record videos with OBS software.

Here are the specifications of my system:

• INTEL Core i7 - 1165 Total Threads: 8; Max Turbo Frequency: 4.70 GHz
  • 64 GB RAM
  • Intel Iris with the latest driver 31.0.101.5084
  • GeForce MX350 with the latest driver 546.33

Unfortunately, both OBS and Capcut are proving to be unusable due to persistent lag. I have diligently checked and adjusted the optimal settings for OBS, including preventing downscaling and using the appropriate encoder (Hardware QSV h.264, with software encoding attempted as well). The recording format is set to mkv, and I ensure that all other programs are closed during recording.

Interestingly, the web version of Capcut performs admirably, indicating that this issue is specific to the desktop version of both software. Clipchamp which is web based, works great as well. 

Any assistance you can provide on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Mau123
Novice

Thank you sincerely for your assistance; your support is highly appreciated. I thoroughly tested many of the settings you suggested, and some indeed proved to be beneficial.

Upon careful inspection, I successfully pinpointed the root cause of the issue: overheating leading to thermal throttling.

The utilization of three monitors with varying resolutions demanded additional GPU power. The GeForce MX350, with its higher GPU power compared to the Iris, exhibited a tendency to overheat, resulting in decreased performance.

Moreover, I discovered that a silicone cover on the keyboard was impeding air circulation to the motherboard. (I am using a laptop).

Upon removing the silicone cover and employing an external fan, the overall heat decreased significantly, subsequently diminishing the lag.

Another effective solution I found was setting the IRIS GPU as the default in Windows settings.

Once again, I extend my gratitude for your support, and I hope this message proves beneficial to someone facing a similar challenge in the future.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Mau123,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I realize how complicated this is for you, I will do my best to help you with this issue.

1. Did you get OBS Studio from Steam and Capcut from the Microsoft store?

2. Is the issue present with the GeForce MX350 disabled?

3. What is the brand and model name of your laptop?

4. What is the BIOS version installed?

5. Were this software working fine before?

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
Mau123
Novice

Thanks for answering and for helping with this issue.

1. Did you get OBS Studio from Steam and Capcut from the Microsoft store?

I have downloaded both of them from the official sites. 

2. Is the issue present with the GeForce MX350 disabled?

Yes, have tried using just Iris, or just Geforce. Result is still the same. 

3. What is the brand and model name of your laptop?

Dell Inspiron 7706 2 in 1

4. What is the BIOS version installed?

Latest version 1.27 

5. Were this software working fine before?

No, it hasn't worked properly. Today i did a full clean reinstall of windows, and the problem persists. 

I have even tried disabling antivirus and other programs. 

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Mau123, 

Thanks for the confirmation. Based on your issue, I recommend you try the following:

OBS Studio:

1. Lower the video's bitrate:

• Go to File, then Settings, and choose Output.
  • Find Streaming.
  • Click on Video Bitrate and either scroll or select the desired bitrate.

2. Use a wired connection, Wireless connections are prone to instability and fluctuation.

3. Change OBS settings:

Changing framerate

• Click File > Settings.
  • Go to Video Settings.
  • Find Common FPS Values, select your value, and hit Apply.

Changing resolution

• Click File, then Settings.
  • Open Video Settings.
  • Select and alter both Base (Canvas) and Output (Scaled) Resolution. For best results, match Base to your system resolution, and downscale your output resolution.

4. Restart OBS

• Hit the X button in the corner to close the app.
  • To ensure it is completely closed, open your operating system’s task manager, and look for OBS among the processes.
  • If you find OBS, select it and press Delete.
  • Launch OBS again by clicking its desktop icon or from your start menu.

Capcut:

1. Clear Cache, cached files can accumulate over time and contribute to lagging issues.

2. Lower Preview Quality, CapCut provides the option to adjust the preview quality of your project.

3. Restart CapCut, close CapCut completely, and reopen it to see if the problem persists.

Regards,   

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
Mau123
Novice

Thank you sincerely for your assistance; your support is highly appreciated. I thoroughly tested many of the settings you suggested, and some indeed proved to be beneficial.

Upon careful inspection, I successfully pinpointed the root cause of the issue: overheating leading to thermal throttling.

The utilization of three monitors with varying resolutions demanded additional GPU power. The GeForce MX350, with its higher GPU power compared to the Iris, exhibited a tendency to overheat, resulting in decreased performance.

Moreover, I discovered that a silicone cover on the keyboard was impeding air circulation to the motherboard. (I am using a laptop).

Upon removing the silicone cover and employing an external fan, the overall heat decreased significantly, subsequently diminishing the lag.

Another effective solution I found was setting the IRIS GPU as the default in Windows settings.

Once again, I extend my gratitude for your support, and I hope this message proves beneficial to someone facing a similar challenge in the future.

DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Mau123, 

I do appreciate your response. I am glad to know that some of the recommendations help you and that you found the source of the issue. I will proceed to close this thread, however, you can open a new one in case you need further support or if you face any issues with our products.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
jaydavis
Beginner

Your system specs are impressive, so hardware shouldn't be the problem. One thing you might want to check is if your software settings are utilizing your dedicated GPU (GeForce MX350) for video processing. Sometimes, software defaults to the integrated GPU (Intel Iris) by mistake. Also, ensure that your drivers are up to date for both GPUs.

If the issue persists, try Movavi. It's another video editing software known for its stability and performance. It could be a viable alternative to OBS and Capcut for you. I stopped using Capcut, Shortcuts or Adobe a long time ago since they were heavy for my laptop, and Movavi was doing everything as great as the popular platforms.

0 Kudos
Mau123
Novice

Thank you for your answer. 

My laptop was overheating and that was the root cause. 

Using a fan to lower the temperature was the fix. 

Have a great day! 

0 Kudos
James_Holafer
Beginner

I had a similar issue, and this post was a lifesaver! Adjusting certain settings and checking the drivers made a significant difference in both Capcut and OBS performance on my system. Thanks for sharing your solution

0 Kudos
John_lee_123
Beginner

If you're encountering lag issues while using video editing and recording software like OBS and CapCut, troubleshooting and optimizing your setup can greatly improve performance. Here are some steps you can take:

1. Check System Requirements: Ensure that your computer meets the minimum system requirements for running these software programs, including CapCut Pro. Running demanding software on hardware that doesn't meet specifications can result in lag.

2. Close Background Processes: Shut down any unnecessary programs running in the background, as they can consume valuable system resources needed for smooth video editing and recording, including downloading and installing CapCut Pro from reliable sources rather than using APK files from unknown sources.

3. Update Graphics Drivers: Keep your graphics drivers up-to-date to ensure compatibility and optimal performance, especially when working with video-intensive tasks like editing and recording.

4. Adjust Software Settings: Fine-tune the settings in OBS and CapCut, including resolution, frame rate, and bitrate. Lowering these settings can reduce the strain on your system and minimize lag during editing and recording sessions, which are equally important when considering CapCut Pro features.

5. Use Hardware Acceleration: If available, enable hardware acceleration in your editing and recording software. This feature leverages your GPU to handle some processing tasks, alleviating the burden on your CPU and potentially reducing lag.

6. Optimize Recording Settings: When recording with OBS or CapCut, optimize your recording settings to ensure smooth performance. Consider recording to a separate drive from your operating system to prevent bottlenecks, and choose efficient codecs compatible with your hardware.

7. Check for Updates: Regularly update your software to the latest versions, as updates often include performance enhancements and bug fixes. This applies to both OBS, CapCut, and any other relevant tools you're using.

8. Monitor System Resources: Keep an eye on your system's CPU, GPU, and RAM usage using task manager or similar tools. Identifying resource bottlenecks can help pinpoint the root cause of lag issues and guide your optimization efforts.

9. Consider Hardware Upgrades: If lag persists despite optimization efforts, consider upgrading your hardware components such as RAM, CPU, or GPU to better handle the demands of video editing and recording, including utilizing advanced features of CapCut Pro.

Lastly, while seeking CapCut Pro, ensure you download it from official and reputable sources rather than resorting to APK downloads, which can pose security risks and may not offer the full range of features or support. Prioritize safety and legality when acquiring software to protect your system and data.

0 Kudos