Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20634 Discussions

Seriously, how to disable the intel batch file {A6D608F0-0BDE-491A-97AE-5C4B05D86E01}.bat

JLand10
Novice

We bought several corporate laptops that came with Intel HD Graphics 520 cards, and downloaded the driver for the cards from here on the intel website. After getting corporate security to assist in the installing of the driver, after rebooting, our corporate protection solution "Bit9" blocks this batch file from running. Each time a user logs in, the bat starts running file C: \ Intel \ GfxCPLBatchFiles \ {A6D608F0-0BDE-491A-97AE-5C4B05D86E01}.bat and they are hit with a security warning notification that an unapproved file was blocked.

How do we disable it? We can not find any reference to the file in the registry, services or startup locations.

0 Kudos
53 Replies
JLand10
Novice

How is that update coming?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for your patience.

Based on our review, this can be considered a false positive on the Anti-Virus or protection software. Our suggestion can be to include igfxEM.exe, IgfxCUIService.exe, igfxHK.exe in the application's white-list, or otherwise report it to the app developer so it gets white-listed by them.

Regards,

Amy C.
0 Kudos
AMarg1
Beginner

Missed the point. It's not the executables. It's the batch file that launches them. Whitelisting solutions will normally block a random batch file in a user-writable directory, which is how Intel is launching these executables. Instead of a batch file, Intel should use any of a number of other available means for launching programs at startup, at logon, etc. But not a batch file in a user-writable directory.

This is about whitelisting, too, not about anti-virus software.

Let's try again...

0 Kudos
DBarh
Beginner

Great! They are. The batch files aren't as they kee coming back. I want them to stop. It's the batch files that are not white listed. It's not antivirus program it's whitelisting. Antivirus is blacklisting. Please help with this. Intel is large enough that batch files shouldn't be the method of running things.

0 Kudos
JLand10
Novice

So based on your review you came back with the EXACT SAME RESPONSE that I was given when I opened this case? The exact same response that I rejected and then explained why this answer is incorrect?! That is the answer I am getting after 2 long weeks of waiting?

Did you even bother to read the issue?

TELL ME HOW TO DISABLE THE BATCHFILE. THAT IS THE ANSWER I REQUIRE. We can not and will not white-list a batchfile in a user-writable directory that deletes itself when it is finished. That kind of action screams malware and security will not sign off on something like that which can be easily compromised.

Please elevate this case to someone else that is capable of reading and understanding the issue.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

We will continue to review this matter, and as soon as possible update the thread with more information.

Regards,

Amy C.
0 Kudos
AMarg1
Beginner

Amy, I'd be happy to get on a phone call with your engineers to discuss the issue and various ways to resolve it. I work for Microsoft and specialize in the Windows platform -- I can definitely help get the issue taken care of. You or they can reach me by email: aaronmar at microsoft.com.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
JLand10
Novice

Another week and still no response to very simple question : How do I disable the batch file? Use your time to resolve your issues, but in the interim just tell me where in the registry you have hidden this batchfile so I can disable it until you sort out your issues.

0 Kudos
JLand10
Novice

Another week and still no response. Please elevate the priority of this case.

0 Kudos
LDavi9
Beginner

Not sure if this is helpful, but I'm IT in a 2000 person company in the same boat as the poster. The .bat file self destructs after running, can't be searched and we can't find a way to turn it off short of rolling back the drivers. We will not whitelist this in Bit9 (nor should any other security conscience company).

Very simple:

How do you prevent the file located here C:\Intel\GfxCPLBatchFiles\ named {a6d608f0-0bde-491a-97ae-5c4b05d86e01}.bat from running. No other answer or details needed. Simply "Go here, do this". PLEASE.

0 Kudos
JLand10
Novice

@linkdead62 - It has been 33 days since I asked for this "how to disable information" which you would think would be an easy answer to provide. Yet they have been unable to address the issue in any meaningful way so don't get too hopeful for a quick solution. In fact, considering I have not been asked any further investigative questions for the last few weeks leads me to believe that no one is looking at this anymore and that the issue is no longer being discussed at all.

0 Kudos
AMarg1
Beginner

Digging deeper on my own. I captured a boot log with Sysinternals Process Monitor. Findings:

• The batch file is created by igfxCUIService.exe
  • igfxCUIService.exe is an automatic-start service running as NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
  • It hosts the service with the display name, "Intel(R) HD Graphics Control Panel Service." Key name igfxCUIService2.0.0.0, and description "Service for Intel(R) HD Graphics Control Panel."
  • The executable is located on my system here:

C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\ki120510.inf_amd64_0f15706cfddd3491\igfxCUIService.exe
  • This service starts the batch file in the interactive user's session, non-elevated, and running as the interactive user.

It looks like the service waits for interactive user logon, then creates the batch file and runs it as the newly-logged-on user.

For some reason, although the batch file is supposed to delete itself, it's not getting deleted on my system. These are the contents:

@echo off

TIMEOUT 1 /NOBREAK

if exist "C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\ki120510.inf_amd64_0f15706cfddd3491\igfxEM.exe" start "" "C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\ki120510.inf_amd64_0f15706cfddd3491\igfxEM.exe"

del /Q "C:\Intel\GfxCPLBatchFiles\{EC94D02F-D200-4428-9531-05AF7F9799CB}.bat"

So it's supposed to wait one second and then start igfxEM.exe in the same security context; igfxEM.exe is in the same directory with the service executable.

However, according to my boot trace, igfxEM.exe starts immediately after the batch file starts. I suspect that the TIMEOUT command does not work in the context in which it's started.

It looks to me that if the service started igfxEM.exe directly rather than going through the batch file, Intel's desired outcome would be the same, without running afoul of whitelisting rules.

INTEL, CAN WE PLEASE TALK ABOUT A BETTER WAY TO DO WHAT YOU'RE TRYING TO DO SO WE CAN ALL AVOID ISSUES WITH WHITELISTING SOLUTIONS? Please contact me: aaronmar, at microsoft dot com.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
AMarg1
Beginner

One correction to my analysis: the batch file that's on my system was written back in October and was never deleted for some reason. In the boot trace I observed the service created a new file with a different file name (an entirely different GUID), and the new batch file was deleted. Everything else in my earlier analysis still holds, as far as I know.

Intel?

0 Kudos
JNels7
Beginner

Bump...

We too, are impacted by this ill-behaved routine. To Carbon Black Enterprise Protection (Bit9) and, I assume, Windows AppLocker, the behavior here looks exactly like that of fileless malware.

This was an horrible design decision. Please fix it.

0 Kudos
JLand10
Novice

Don't expect a reply jrn77074

I have been beating this drum for over 4 months now and still they ignore the issue.

Ronald_Intel - any updates for us about a fix for this continuing issue? Hah, just kidding, you guys don't give a tiny crap.

0 Kudos
JNels7
Beginner

We are not without recourse. Let's see if we can interest some of the security bloggers with this issue. I would imagine that display driver software behaving like fileless malware might get some attention there.

0 Kudos
EFran4
Beginner

Hi, I run into this problem on Windows 8.1 platform. Where do I find the updated driver for Windows 8.1 ? This an urgent issue for us as well.

Regards,

Emmanuelle F.

0 Kudos
Dcela1
Beginner

We are having the same problem here with AppLocker.

Intel - When will a fix be released?

0 Kudos
CN4
Beginner

Not sure how this helps the root problem but for those that use Bit9 a.k.a. Carbon Black Protection and are getting execution blocks, I set the file igfxCUIService.exe as an installer in Bit9, all 22 hashes we have thus far. This should allow that executable to create other files that will be allowed in a high enforcement policy. As new hashes of this file present themselves I will mark those also as installers.In the meantime we wait for Intel to do something more globally.

0 Kudos
JLand10
Novice

intel_corp We are now two months into asking for a solution to an on-going driver issue and we have not had a single reply in over a month.

Are we going to get an update or working solution?

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello everyone,

I do apologize for replying until now. This was filed for our internal developers to investigate and work on [internal bug ID 1406677163] however, while this is a very important issue to us, we have been working on other critical issues (e.g. BSOD, crashes). I have asked to raise the internal priority for this now.

I cannot promise any particular outcome from said investigation, but I'll be posting here once I have any news or update.

Thank you for your patience.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.