Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20456 Discussions

Smart Sound Technology update?

MartyMcFly
Beginner

HP said to contact Intel about an issue I am having with the Smart Sound Technology driver. In Device Manager, it gives "This device cannot start. (Code 10) Failed to load external libraries". Intel says to install the latest Realtek High Definition Audio Driver (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000025131/intel-nuc/intel-nuc-kits.html). The installer from HP fails and Intel Driver and Support Assistant does not find an audio driver. I currently have Windows 10 Pro version 1909. Any ideas? I have uninstalled the Smart Sound drivers and restarted. It works until Windows pushes the updates through and then it breaks again. 😥

0 Kudos
13 Replies
AlHill
Super User

What is the model number of this HP device?

What is the processor model number?

Doc

0 Kudos
MartyMcFly
Beginner

HP ProBook 450 G6

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8265U CPU @ 1.60GHz

0 Kudos
Ewalk7
Novice

Looking for same

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

nstea, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In reference to this scenario, as you can see in the link you shared with us in your first post, when error 10 is showing in "Device Manager", what we recommend is to update to the latest Realtek* High Definition Audio driver.

If the problem persists after that, then the next thing to do, in this case, will be to get in contact directly with HP for them to provide further assistance on this matter:

https://support.hp.com/us-en

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
MartyMcFly
Beginner

From what i said after the link "The installer from HP fails and Intel Driver and Support Assistant does not find an audio driver." The realtek audio driver fails and HP says its Intels fault. I chatted with HP as the computer is brand new and still under warranty. The HP tech said to contact Intel. So here we are. I commented on the ticket I have and they still said its Intel. Maybe we can do a conference call so we can all point fingers. Windows is also pushing an update that breaks the Smart Sound driver in the device manager. Update from Intel(R) Corporation - System - 10.23.2903.2. I am assuming this update would work if I was able to install the Realtek audio driver.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

nstea, Thank you very much for letting us know that information.

We will do further research on this matter, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hi nstea, I just received an update on this matter.

We just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

You mentioned the computer is brand new, so, this problem, did it happen since day 1?

Was it working properly before?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes?

What is the specific Windows* version/build that you are using?

I looked in HP's web site and the Realtek driver that is available in there is the version 13.8742.2672.48 Rev.Q, please try to install that driver:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-probook-450-g6-notebook-pc/23201167/swItemId/ob-238830-1

Besides that, could you please provide the Realtek driver versions that were tested previously?

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
MartyMcFly
Beginner

Did it happen since day 1?

Yes. It is a fresh install of Windows.

Was it working properly before?

No. It only works when I uninstall the Intel Smart Sound from the device manager and restart. the audio jack will not work. Only the onboard speakers. As soon as Windows pushes the update mentioned before, it breaks again.

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes?

No. Fresh install

What is the specific Windows* version/build that you are using?

Windows 10 Pro, 10.0.18363, Build 18363.592

That driver won't install. It acts like it wants to but stops. Nothing in the event viewer for software. It will bring up the option to install, I click next, accept EULA etc., and then it will show an opaque HP logo in the bottom right task bar and then vanishes. I check the device manager and its not there.

I got it from HP's website:

Type: Driver-Audio

Version: 13.8742.2672.48 Rev.Q

Operating systems: Windows 10 (64-bit)

Release date: Sep 20, 2019

File name: sp98885.exe (254.0 MB)

The workaround for now for me is to block the Windows update that breaks it but I still have no audio jack audio. No USB audio either.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

nstea, Thank you very much for sharing those details.

Based on the information posted previously we just wanted to confirm a few details about your platform:

You mentioned that "the workaround for now for me is to block the Windows update that breaks it", if you block the Windows* update, install the driver and enter "Device Manager", are you able to see the Intel® Smart Sound driver properly installed?

After blocking the Windows* update, the problem of no sound coming from the audio jack and USB is still present?

If you install all the Windows* updates, is the problem the same, there is still no sound coming from the audio jack and USB?

The reason why we wanted to make sure about those details is because these issues could be related to the ProBook itself, could be related to hardware.

Just to let you know, the manufacturer of the laptop has the option to customize all their products, there is also an option that the Realtek driver provided by them works only with previous Windows* versions, and that will be something they will need to update on their side for the driver to get properly installed.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello nstea, I just wanted to check if you saw the information posted previously and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
MartyMcFly
Beginner

HP put the ball back in your court after i notified them of the issue. I put the laptop back in the box and returned it for a full refund. I went with an AMD instead. Thank you for allowing me to be the middle man.

0 Kudos
MartyMcFly
Beginner

I would probably work on a fix. Maybe contact HP. There are some users here with the same issue.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello nstea, Thank you very much for letting us know that information.

We are sorry to hear the issue persists and we apologize for any inconvenience.

And yes, at this point the best thing to do will be to get in contact with HP directly to report this scenario, for them to confirm if the drivers available on their web site are fully compatible with the Windows* version being used and to provide further assistance on this matter.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos