Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20590 Discussions

Some Intel Graphics Command Center settings revert after reboot

alexlarking
Beginner

Hello, I have had quite a few issues getting my display settings set up in the Intel Graphics Command center. I am much more used to NVIDIA's control center, so I guess going from something that is really streamlined, easy to customize, and pretty much glitch-less to, well, this, is quite a jump. This is going to be part bug reporting, part solution reporting, and part questioning. Hopefully reporting what I have done to 'fix' some of my problems will help others, as it seems there is no guide online to do so. The laptop I am using is a Dell Precision 5530. All of my drivers are up to date (trust me, I have checked multiple times). 

FIRST PROBLEM: The Intel Graphics Control Panel would not launch. Turns out that the control panel installed on my laptop by default was the wrong one and had been outdated for a long time. Seems that instead of having a little popup that says Hey maybe switch to the Intel Command Center it just refuses to launch. 

SECOND PROBLEM: Cannot fix overscan on second display. This problem is very odd to have, especially coming from NVIDIA where fixing overscan is very easy and intuitive. For some reason, the setting for overscan is hidden under the Scale drop down as Custom. Now, this would have been fine if the setting was always there (or at least grayed out when it wasn't usable for whatever reason). I spent forever trying to figure out where in the world this was. In an act of desperation, I switched the Refresh Rate setting from 59p to 60p, and then suddenly, without any way of knowing, it appeared in the aforementioned Scale drop down. 

THIRD PROBLEM: So after all of that, here is where I'm stumped. For some reason, whenever I reboot my laptop, the scaling resets to the default setting. It seems that it's just the scaling, not the color, not anything else, just the scaling. 

I also have it enabled on my laptop that I can close the lid and my second monitor becomes my primary monitor, laptop screen get's disabled. For some reason, I have to configure the display settings for the monitor when the lid is closed and when it's open separately. Keep in mind that this is JUST the scaling and refresh rate that changes, the color settings stay the same. And sometimes (ONLY SOMETIMES) I have to change the scaling and refresh rate every time I open and close my laptop's lid. Since this is only a problem some times, it makes me think this is a bug and not a feature. 

FINAL THOUGHTS: Honestly, I think Intel GPU's are fine for regular consumer use that doesn't deal with anything too intensive OR requires customizing. Once you want to go beyond the factory settings though, it is a grueling process. I would be just fine with having this GPU if the graphics UI was made more intuitive, more easily customizable, and more streamlined. Because of these issues, I generally tend to avoid Intel GPUs. The only reason I bought this laptop was because I thought the NVIDIA Quadro P1000 was the primary GPU. 

Sorry for being hyper-critical, but I really expect more from a company like this. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello alexlarking

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities and for your feedback, it is really appreciated it and we will share it with the relevant department.

Also, in order to check this further, could you please provide the following information?

1- Second Display brand and model:

2- How are you connecting the display? Are you using straight-through connection (HDMI-to-HDMI) with a single cable or are you using adapters?

3- Please elaborate more regarding what you mean when you said "that the control panel installed on my laptop by default was the wrong one".

4- DxDiag* report following these steps:

1. In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R.
  2. In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter.
  3. Click on Save All Information.
  4. Open the report.
  5. Use the option "save all information" to save the .TXT file.
  6. Attach the report .TXT file to this thread. 

5- Please provide a Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers following the steps on the below link:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005848/graphics-drivers.html

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello @alexlarking 

I would like to jump in and try to help on some of the points you mentioned.

The overscan issue: the custom solution is fine and all, but when selecting "Maintain Display Scaling" it should also fit your screen fine. Have you checked if your TV (I'm assuming you are connecting your laptop to a TV) has an image formatting option in its menu? I can't really tell how it would be named but some manufacturers refer to it as "Image size" or "Image format" and here is where you can select between typical options such as "Zoom", "Original size", "Fit screen", "Panned" or others. Typically adjusting to "Original size" or "Fit" does the trick.

IGCC resetting to default settings on reboot: I have seen in some forums that the “Dell PremierColor” application may interfere with IGCC's own operation. Apparently once you go to restart your laptop, the Dell PremierColor app becomes the default setting again. I'm not saying that's the case here but definitely worth checking out.

Regarding this one: "I also have it enabled on my laptop that I can close the lid and my second monitor becomes my primary monitor, laptop screen get's disabled. For some reason, I have to configure the display settings for the monitor when the lid is closed and when it's open separately." Please provide the step by step on how you are configuring said behavior and we could try reproducing this issue here and investigate a bit further on it.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
Antonios
Beginner

Hi Ronald! @RonaldM_Intel 

I have a similar problem. I have an Asus laptop, and the colours and contrasts are terrible. So I use Intel GCC to change the colour. Unfortunately, every time my comp boots up I have to reset it. You mentioned it might be the laptop's manufacturer's own software that starts by default. How can I set up IGCC colour settings as default?

thanks 

Antonios

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello alexlarking

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance. Please do not hesitate to contact us back and to provide the information previously requested.

Best regrds,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello alexlarking

We are checking this thread but we have not heard back from you. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos